[SOLVED] Cannot login anymore to Mint 19.1

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
barth90
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Cannot login anymore to Mint 19.1

Post by barth90 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:49 am

I was working on my PC this morning and I got a message saying that I ran out of disk space ( I think it was /home, can't really remember), then the system froze.
I powered off and on. I got to the login page , entered my password, hit enter, and the system brought me back to the login page again. Tried it a couple time, same thing. I know I entered the password correctly. It's the same one I've used for years.

Mint 19.1 is installed as a dual booth along side Win10.

The problem is most likely linked to the disk space problem. How do I get back? Do I need to use the install disk to go in and examine my storage situation?
Pretty weird that all of a sudden I run into a hard stop like that without previous warning.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you
Last edited by barth90 on Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Cannot login anymore to Mint 19.1

Post by karlchen » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:06 am

Hello, barth90.

You are perfectly right in assuming that logging in to graphical desktop fails, because you have run out of filesystem space.
But you should still be able to log in to one of the pseudo console monitors tty1 to tty6.
How to do so:
Once the graphical login screen gets displayed, do not try to log in.
Instead press the keyboard shortcut <ctrl><alt><F2> in order to switch to the pseudo console monitor tty2.
You will be greeted by the prompt Login: => Type your Linux loginname and press enter.
You will be prompted next to enter your Password: => Type your password and press enter.
Provided you have entered your logon credentials correctly, you will be greeted by the terminal command prompt $

Execute the commandline df -m / /home This will display the sizes, the used space and the free space on the filesystem / and /home
Note:
In case the lines displayed for / and /home are identical, then your /home is not a sparate filesystem, but only a sub-directory tree on the root filesystem /
In case the used percentages are close to 100% or are 100%, then you need to free up space on the affected filesystem(s) in order to be able to login to the graphical desktop again.

Here is a way of freeing up file system space on the the root file system /: sudo apt-get clean

Here is a way of freeing up file system space on the home file system, provided /home is on a separate filesystem:
oops, no way of telling which files and directories you might be prepared to remove from your home directory tree. :wink:

Provided you have managed to free up some space on the filled filesystem(s), you may switch back to the graphical login screen by pressing <alt><F7>.
Try logging in.
Provided this succeeds, you should continue investigating what precisely has used so much space that your filesystems had run out of space.
One good application to visualize filesystem usage by directories and sub-directories (and the files in them of course) is baobab.

Best regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit Cinnamon Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Ubuntu 18.04.2 32-bit Mate Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Windows? - 1 window in every room

barth90
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barth90 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:10 am

Thanks Karl, I will try that when I get back home tonight and let you know the outcome.

barth90
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barth90 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:33 pm

Karl thank you for your help. Using your procedureI was able to log on the pseudo console. It showed / at 100% , and /home at 28%.
I ran sudo apt-get clean and was able to log on the graphical screen.
I ran baobab and here is what I saw:
baobab.png
the journal file named ef635a010d284bc38d762d2b9f0e65ac seems to be the problem with all kind of entries dated to the time the system froze.
baobab.png
Do I delete that file?
Thanks
Attachments
baobab 2.png

barth90
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barth90 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:22 pm

Unfortunately, before I could do anything, my system froze again. This time the sudo apt-get clean I guess didn't free up space because I cannot use alt-f7 to go back and log on the graphica l login screen . How can I free up space now. Looks like I need to access the journal and delete the file listed in my previous post, but how do I do it.

barth90
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barth90 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:22 pm

Can I just go in:
var/log/journal/ef635a010d284bc38d762d2b9f0e65ac
and do a

Code: Select all

rm *
to remove all the journal files in that directory?

HaveaMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by HaveaMint » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:58 am

Here is a site that may be of help to you. I haven't ever had your problem before so maybe a read on this might be of some help.

https://linoxide.com/linux-how-to/syste ... mand-logs/
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:41 am

Hello, barth90.

My hope had been that by doing an initial cleanup on the console terminal (sudo apt-get clean), enough space would have been freed up to permit you
+ to investigate where all the space was being occupied and
+ to clean up more thoroughly when logged in to the normal graphical desktop

Unluckily, system logfiles are filling your root file system more quickly than expected and prevented you from cleaning them up. :(

HaveaMint already pointed you to the journalctl commandline tool, which permits inspecting the system logfiles and which also permits to clean up these logfiles.
This can be done at the console terminal as well. And in fact you may have to do so precisely there, beause system logs keep filling your root filesystem.

Actually, you will have to do 2 things:
+ clean up the existing logfiles, except the one which is in use at the moment
+ inspect the current logfile in order to find out why it keeps on growing so fast

There must be one or more problems, which the system keeps on logging over and over again.

Best regards,
Karl

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:55 am

Hello, barth90.

In order to try reducing the space used by the system logfiles, you may execute this commandline in the console terminal:
sudo journalctl --vacuum-size=20M
This may work and reduce the total disk space used by journalctl system logfiles to 20M. Temporarily. Temporarily, because the timestamps in your baobab screenshot suggest that journalctl writes and ceates the logfiles very quickly. So freed up space may be re-occupied quickly.

After having run sudo journalctl --vacuum-size=20M, execute sudo journalctl --update-catalog to rebuild the logfile index, needed by journalctl.

Finally you should inspect the current log by executing journalctl -b in order to find out what journalctl keeps on writing to the log.

~~~
In case cleaning up the existing journalctl logfiles does not work or in case freed space gets re-occupied so quickly that the root filesystem gets filled again, before the root cause has been identified and resolved, in this case it may be necessary to boot your system from a Mint live system and inspect the journalctl logfiles on the harddisk from there.

Best regards,
Karl

barth90
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barth90 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:21 pm

I am making progress ( I think).
I was able to determine that my problem started when I tried to plug my new Onyx Note Pro ebook reader to the system. It started to fill the error log with this:
usb31.png
My PC is probably 4-5 years old and this reader uses a usb-c plug. This is the first device I have that uses that interface. Could that be the problem? As soon as I hook the device, it's starts logging errors. What can I do about this?
I use the journalctl --vacuum command to clear the log. Here a screen capture of the baobab output:
baobab june 13.png
I am still running pretty close to the limit of available storage:
df.png
df.png (9.94 KiB) Viewed 233 times

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:46 am

Hi, barth90.

Looks as if sudo journalctl --vacuum-size=20M only clears the journals in /var/log/journal.
But the parent directory /var/log till holds the traditional log files, which are still created and written in addition to the journals.
You could delete rotated and gzipped old logfiles in /var/log by executing sudo rm /var/log/*.gz

Again, the issue will re-occur, as long as the root cause has not been resolved, which makes the journal files and the traditiona logfiles grow rapidly and enormously.

I admit I have got not USB C-port here, have not run into the same problem and have got no idea whether it is typical of USB-C in general or merely specific to your device; and in brief, I have no idea how to solve the root cause. :oops: Not yet.

Regards,
Karl

barth90
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barth90 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:30 am

karlchen wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:46 am
Hi, barth90.

Looks as if sudo journalctl --vacuum-size=20M only clears the journals in /var/log/journal.
But the parent directory /var/log till holds the traditional log files, which are still created and written in addition to the journals.
You could delete rotated and gzipped old logfiles in /var/log by executing sudo rm /var/log/*.gz

Regards,
Karl
Thanks Karl,
the rm command allowed me to reduce the log a bit so I could log onto my machine. But the df -m / command still shows that I am at 92% capacity, but not growing for now.
It is stable because I think I isolated the problem to the fact that I connected my new ereader tablet to the system and that filled the log. Now that I know that I no longer try to hook up that tablet.

Now, how can I get rid of more log files?
here's a snapshot of my disk now.
baobab june 14th.png
The log seems still pretty full but I don't know where to go to do more cleanup.

Your help is REALLY appreciated. I'm learning a lot from this.

Thank you

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:46 pm

Baobab displays that /var holds 6.2 GB of data.
/var/log holds 4.6 GB of these 6.2 GB.
So there may be another directory further down in the area, which your Baobab screenshot does not display, which holds most of the missing 1.6 GB.

In any case, constantly cleaning up in several places will never solve the issue, only solving the root cause will. (Still no idea how.)

barth90
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barth90 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:40 am

karlchen wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:46 pm
Baobab displays that /var holds 6.2 GB of data.
/var/log holds 4.6 GB of these 6.2 GB.
So there may be another directory further down in the area, which your Baobab screenshot does not display, which holds most of the missing 1.6 GB.

In any case, constantly cleaning up in several places will never solve the issue, only solving the root cause will. (Still no idea how.)
Thanks Karl, your help was greatly appreciated. I learned a lot from this incident.

As I mentionned before, my system is now stable. It was my new tablet that was the cause of the problem. I no longer plug it to this system and the log is not growing anymore . I now have to figure out what to delete in the /var without crasing my system. I may have to open an other post just for that. For now I will close this one and mark it solved.

Again, Karl, thank you.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot login anymore to Mint 19.1

Post by karlchen » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:00 pm

Thread Need to make room in my root folder continues this thread.

Return to “Newbie Questions”