Tina update manager

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
norbie
Level 1
Level 1

Tina update manager

Post by norbie » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:39 pm

In past releases e.g. tara and so on, there used to be a check box that would enable the user to get rid of the annoying message to switch to a local mirror.
I can't find this in tina, what happened to it? :evil:

Has anybody else the same experience? Cause it is really annoying, but not an issue, but really, really annoying and the fact that clicking "YES" does not seem to do anything, makes me feel like a numbhead.

Cheers
There is always an answer to your question, you just have to find someone that knows!

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Tina update manager

Post by karlchen » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:59 pm

Hi, Norbie.

The option to switch the mirror check off must be present under Update Manager Preferences on Linux Mint 19.2 Tina as well.
The reason is simple: I have switched it off on my Mint 19.2 xfce.

Regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 32-bit xfce Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit Cinnamon Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Windows? - 1 window in every room

carum carvi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by carum carvi » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:07 pm

I have switched it off as well on LM19.2 Cinnamon. No biggie.

Perhaps you could go to Menu / Software Sources and change your choice and then back again to your preferred choice. Maybe that'll help?

smurphos
Level 11
Level 11

Post by smurphos » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:09 am

Clicking no will dismiss the info-bar on an ongoing basis, as will yes and actually changing mirrors.

But if clicking yes doesn't bring up an authentication dialog to launch software sources that indicates a problem.

What happens if you run this command form a terminal?

pkexec mintsources
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

norbie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by norbie » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:07 am

Hallo Karl,
dann muss was schief gelaufen sein in meiner Installation. Da ist keinerlei Option um das abzuschalten. Ach ja, ich benutze Cinnamon als desktop.
@carum carvi
Thats what I thought, too. Simply do what I did in other releases. Not with this one.
@smurphos
Otherwise the manager, is acting as expected. Changing the mirror does actually work and retains the setting. Next time update manager comes up, it is asking again if I want to change the mirror. Starting via command line, produces the same options. There is simply no option to switch it off. The manager starts with elevated access.
I know it sounds strange, in particular if it works on your systems and the option is there.
I did a complete install onto a NVME.2 drive. Initially, I wanted to transfer my old system (mechanical drive) to it, but that went into my pants. Since I have data backups, I went and installed from a freshly downloaded 19.2 ISO. The install seemed to be fine. There was few hickups e.g. my USB's didn't work completely (IOMMU issue) but that's fixed. The only thing I can think of is, that the Cinnamon desktop forgot to add this option, hi, hi. :D

Thanks for your input, at least I know it does exist in 19.2
Cheers
There is always an answer to your question, you just have to find someone that knows!

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:16 am

norbie wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:39 pm
In past releases e.g. tara and so on, there used to be a check box that would enable the user to get rid of the annoying message to switch to a local mirror.
What happened is that I removed that option because it was silly to have the user go hunt for it in the Preferences or otherwise be perpetually nagged. Instead in 19.2 it works as smurphos already explained above. You are welcome. :P

As to clicking Yes not doing anything, do as smurphos asked.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

norbie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by norbie » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:31 am

gm10 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:16 am
norbie wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:39 pm
What happened is that I removed that option because it was silly to have the user go hunt for it in the Preferences or otherwise be perpetually nagged. Instead in 19.2 it works as smurphos already explained above. You are welcome. :P

As to clicking Yes not doing anything, do as smurphos asked.
Perhaps, I over complicate things and I simply overlook the apparent :?:
Again, thanks for your input!

Cheers

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:52 pm

Hi, Norbie.

The screenshot below has been made on Mint 19.1 Tessa, not on Mint 19.2 Tina.

Does the Preferences dialogue really look so different on Mint 19.2 Tina? (Will have to check, I guess.)

--added--
Update Manager - Preferences - on 19.2 - only 3 tabs left.
And the setting in question is really absent. (inserted it in the screenshot where it had been on 19.1 still)

Regards,
Karl
Last edited by karlchen on Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added screenshot Mint 19.2 Update Manager - Preferences

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:32 pm

karlchen wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:52 pm
Does the Preferences dialogue really look so different on Mint 19.2 Tina? (Will have to check, I guess.)
Yes, it looks very different. And I already confirmed above that the option is gone. I removed it out, I should know. It was a pointless option, probably nobody ever went into preferences to re-enable it, so why have a checkbox?

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:14 pm

Oh, I see. So on Mint 19.2 in Update Manager I denied "looking for and switching to a local mirror", and my decision has been final, never ever to be reverted.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:54 pm

karlchen wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:14 pm
Oh, I see. So on Mint 19.2 in Update Manager I denied "looking for and switching to a local mirror", and my decision has been final, never ever to be reverted.
You can revert your decision whenever you want by going Update Manager > Edit > Software Sources, but Update Manager just won't nag you about it again. Do you think it should?

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:36 am

No, nagging is not required or welcome - from my point of view. It is only a bit unexpected that you configure something on first startup of Update Manager and then are unable to locate the corresponding setting anywhere in preferences, even if most of us will never want to change it again. It is a setting, not to be nagged or to be nagged (for those who like to be nagged), and a setting should be accessible in preferences.
Update Manager in Mint 19.1 still has it. And it does not cause any pain to anybody.
And if the decision is that the local mirror search should be in Software Sources only, fine.
I will have to launch Mint 19.2 in order to inspect Update Manager Preferences and Software Sources. Maybe doing so will help understand better what precisely has been changed and why.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:47 am

karlchen wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:36 am
It is only a bit unexpected that you configure something on first startup of Update Manager and then are unable to locate the corresponding setting anywhere in preferences, even if most of us will never want to change it again. It is a setting, not to be nagged or to be nagged (for those who like to be nagged), and a setting should be accessible in preferences.
I'm fairly certain you are only saying that because you are used to that setting being there. I'll take any bet that a new user that didn't know the old setting seeing this screen and clicking on "No" would never expect to be able to go to preferences to bring that question back:

And for "those who like to be nagged" there's always marriage. :P :twisted: :lol:
karlchen wrote:
Update Manager in Mint 19.1 still has it. And it does not cause any pain to anybody.
But it does. The setting is anything but expected, as evidenced by the number of users not knowing it was there and complaining about the nag screen.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:24 am

gm10 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:47 am
The setting is anything but expected, as evidenced by the number of users not knowing it was there and complaining about the nag screen.
Hm. To be honest, there will always be users, who will never suspect settings to be found inside "Preferences". :wink:

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:30 am

True. ;)

But at the end of the day having to go to Preferences annoyed me, and I doubt I was alone in that, so I changed it. If you really feel that something of value was lost, there's always the way of a feature request, and I'm no longer there to influence what happens to that, so maybe somebody else will run with it. ;)

norbie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by norbie » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:40 am

Not a big deal to me. It's just, shall we say missing from previous version(s).

Dunno if I can insert a picture as newbie?
Nope!
Aside, I believe the board allows images only through URL's and I don't have anything setup for it.

It doesn't hurt if the option isn't there, was just a little odd to me.

Cheers,
Norbert

norbie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by norbie » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:46 am

gm10 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:47 am
karlchen wrote:
It is only a bit unexpected that you configure something on first startup of Update Manager and then are unable to locate the corresponding setting anywhere in preferences, even if most of us will never want to change it again. It is a setting, not to be nagged or to be nagged (for those who like to be nagged), and a setting should be accessible in preferences.
I'm fairly certain you are only saying that because you are used to that setting being there. I'll take any bet that a new user that didn't know the old setting seeing this screen and clicking on "No" would never expect to be able to go to preferences to bring that question back:

And for "those who like to be nagged" there's always marriage. :P :twisted: :lol:
karlchen wrote:
But it does. The setting is anything but expected, as evidenced by the number of users not knowing it was there and complaining about the nag screen.
Does this mean, if I click "NO" that it will not ask again?
Sorry, I am a little slow upstairs, these days.

Cheers,
Norbert

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:53 am

norbie wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:46 am
Correct. No means no, didn't you hear? :P

norbie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by norbie » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:59 am

gm10 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:53 am
norbie wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:46 am
Correct. No means no, didn't you hear? :P
Alright! :D :D :D

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:08 pm

Here is how to make Update Manager ask again whether you would like to switch to a local mirror,
in case you had denied the first time and need a second chance. :wink:
  1. Terminate Update Manager. - Right-click shield icon and select exit.
  2. launch dconf-editor and switch this setting to off. see screenshot below.

3. exit dconf-editor
  4. launch Update Manager
  5. Hey, it asks again whether you wish to switch to a local mirror.

6. goal achieved.

Return to “Newbie Questions”