[SOLVED] Escapee from WIndows 10 hoping to learn Mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
wang xilong
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Escapee from WIndows 10 hoping to learn Mint

Post by wang xilong » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:44 am

Hello everyone. In other PhpBB forums, when new folks come in, I offer them a pineapple. So since I'm new, let me offer pineapples to everyone!

The skipable part of the background:
I was a happy user of Windows 7, though I have always wanted to learn how to use Linux. Then I moved overseas, so I got rid of my desktop and purchased an Ideapad. I was so digusted by Windows 10, that I even purchased a new license of 7, only to discover that it's incompatible with my laptop's hardware. Well, I discovered that Windows was actively destroying my primary hard drive, and when the September 10 update came out, it made my system so unstable that I went out and bought a new laptop, sans OS, in order to install Linux. The goal was to learn how to use it before my Windows computer completely failed, so that I could swap across, then ultimately wipe Windows from the old laptop and run it with Linux as my office computer, and use the new system as the one I carry around everywhere.
/TL;DR

System information:
The new system is a Thinkpad e585 (which is, apparently, no longer available for sale anywhere outside Mainland China, but here it's seen as a cutting edge system). I overcame the anti-linux bug in the BIOS by updating to a newer version, and got Sylvia installed.
The specs from Lenovo:

Code: Select all

Processor:
    AMD Ryzen™ 3 2200U dual-core (2.50GHz, up to 3.40GHz Max Boost, 4MB Cache)
    AMD Ryzen™ 5 2500U quad-core (2.00GHz, up to 3.60GHz Max Boost, 4MB Cache)
    AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700U quad-core (2.20GHz, up to 3.80GHz Max Boost, 4MB Cache)
Operating System:
    Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia, MATE
Display:
    15.6" HD (1366 x 768) anti-glare
    15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS anti-glare
Graphics 	
    Up to Integrated AMD Radeon™ Vega 10 Mobile Graphics
Battery 	
    Up to 8.5 hours*, 45Wh integrated
    *Based on testing with MobileMark 2014. Battery life varies significantly with settings, usage, & other factors.
A/C Adapter 	
    65W supports rapid charge technology
Camera 	
    720p HD camera
Memory
    16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz (Supports up to 32 GB x 2 DIMM)
Storage
    1 TB 5400 RPM
    500 GB 7200 RPM 
    Up to 256 GB PCIe SSD
    Dual drive storage (optional)
    (This is what they advertise on the web page; I have only detected a 500GB and 128GB drive installed)
Audio
    Stereo speakers with Dolby Advanced Audio™
    Lync-certified, Smart Audio speaker support
    Dual-array noise-cancelling microphone
Security
    Discrete Trusted Platform Module (dTPM) 2.0 chip
    Kensington™ lock slot
Ports
    1 x USB 3.1 Gen 2** Type-C (Power Delivery, DisplayPort, Data transfer)
    2 x USB 3.1 Gen 1**
    1 x USB 2.0
    HDMI
    MicroSD card reader 
    RJ45
    Audio combo jack
Connectivity
	802.11 AC (2 x 2) + Bluetooth® 4.1
Dimensions (W x D x H)
 	14.53" x 9.92" x 0.78" / 369 x 252 x 19.95 (mm)
Weight
 	Starting at 4.7 lbs (2.1 kg)
Color
 	Black
Anyway, having introduced my system, I'm already spending a lot of time looking up things to get it running smoothly, like how to project on more than one monitor (I will need this feature for work, as I frequently project via overhead LCD projectors, and using 80" wall monitors). But before I start asking questions, I want to learn what the advice I will get means. I'm finding sources where people say "I used this command an tried that solution," and there's a lot of "sudo" and "gedit" being tossed about. I read the manual from the Mint blog, but all it really offered was how to navigate the Mint menu in the corner of the screen.

The big question:
So my question is, where can I find a good, introductory manual for Linux that will help me learn how to use the terminal, so that I can understand what the advice I receive actually means? I know the big thing in the Linux world is to RTFM (I purchased a "For Dummies" book many years ago, and that was listed in chapter 1 as part of their advice - which told me I purchased the wrong book, if it wasn't going to be TFM for me to R!), so I am hoping to find a good place to do exactly that, and possibly solve some of my own problems without having to constantly bug the experts.

Thank you in advance for your advice, and I'm glad to be here.
Last edited by wang xilong on Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Escapee from WIndows 10 hoping to learn Mint

Post by carum carvi » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:24 am

Welcome to the LinuxMint forum Wang Xilong,

I love pineapples! Thanks for offering me :D

LinuxMint it the most user friendliest version of Linux I know. So there is basically no need to know terminal commands for any newbie right away from the start, although it can never harm to learn to know how to use the terminal for simple commands. Everything can be configured via graphical menus though. And when sometimes an experienced forummember offers a terminal command to help you out, you can simply copy and paste the offered terminal command. Furthermore the forummembers are very friendly to newcomers on this forum. Newbies wont hear the RTFM. If you want to learn some first basic LinuxMint terminal commands: http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/10-b ... d-remember

What I see from your information is that you have a very capable fast computer, that can easily run the latest and newest LinuxMint 19.2 Cinnamon OS. However LinuxMint 18.3 is a great stable version as well, so no need to immediately change that.

You can post a separate post for every question you might have starting with LinuxMint. The newbie section is probably the best place to start posting. Many friendly forummembers will glad to be of help. Enjoy your stay Wang Xilong. :)
Greetings Carum Carvi.

Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Larry78723 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:17 am

Welcome to the LinuxMint forum Wang Xilong and thanks for the pineapple.

While I'm not a fan of Google, searching this forum for answers is much easier using their search function. The format to use is:
thing you're searching for site:forums.linuxmint.com

Again, welcome to the forums. Don't hesitate to ask questions, you'll find some of the most friendly people on here who will take the time to make sure you understand what you are doing.

Larry

AndyMH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by AndyMH » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:31 am

Put that win7 licence to good use - install virtualbox and create a win7 VM (virtual machine). That way you can run any windows software you can't do without or can't find a suitable linux alternative for.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9

Post by lsemmens » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:46 am

Welcome to the world of Linux. There is plenty of good information to be learned right here. RTFM can be useful for some things, but, in the Linux world I would be more inclined to RTFF. Raid The Fine Forums. You'll soon learn who's advice is to be valued. If you don't understand something, someone will soon attempt to explain it, don't be afraid to ask!
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:10 am

Welcome! :)

First of all: I advise to install Linux Mint 19.2, instead of the 18.3 you have now. It's more modern and more people on this forum use it, so you're likely to get better help with 19.2.

Secondly, you might find my website with how-to's for 19.2 useful. It's meant as a complete starter's guide (and also as a resource for experienced users):
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/1.html
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:54 am

Looking over your hardware and noticed that there is no listing for an Ethernet (LAN) device. This could be an issue with initial installation if wifi or bluetooth do not work OOTB, which will requires you to download additional files to get online.

Before installation, please boot into Mint live USB and run below command in Terminal (ctrl+alt+t) to output actual system configuration and post results here. Also, while you are in Mint live session, see if you can get online.

inxi -Fxz
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:04 am

Hi "wang xilong",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, 256gb SDD, only Intel 4 Graphics. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

wang xilong
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wang xilong » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:59 am

Wow, thank you all for the warm welcomes! I definitely think I am in the right place!

I did try 19.2 initially, but had trouble installing. That's when I learned about the UEFI issue (I told the sales people I wanted to put Linux on the computer; they sold me the ONE thinkpad that is notorious for it's Linux-breaking UEFI bug). I couldn't even get compatibility mode to work in 19.2, but when I backed up to 18.3, I was able to get going, which enabled me to download the UEFI update and make the computer run. I will probably update over Spring Festival break. By then I should be feeling much more comfortable with Linux in general and ready to tackle an upgrade.

Let's see, what else ought I address, here?
carum carvi wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:24 am
I love pineapples! Thanks for offering me
My pleasure! If only I could figure out how to transmit them via intertubes, I'd give out real ones!
Larry78723 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:17 am
While I'm not a fan of Google, searching this forum for answers is much easier using their search function. The format to use is:
thing you're searching for site:forums.linuxmint.com
Most useful! I do like the Google search algorithm. I am no longer a fan of Google's tracking and searching, though. Of course, living in China means I have to take... extra measures to get anything Google related to work. I'll keep in mind that the forum search uses Google, so I can use those measures when I need it.
AndyMH wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:31 am
Put that win7 licence to good use - install virtualbox and create a win7 VM (virtual machine). That way you can run any windows software you can't do without or can't find a suitable linux alternative for.
Yes! That's the project for this weekend, if I can find a clean download of 7. The MS web site isn't cooperating with me, and none of the alternative archives are still active, either, with or without additional measures.
athi wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:54 am
Looking over your hardware and noticed that there is no listing for an Ethernet (LAN) device. This could be an issue with initial installation if wifi or bluetooth do not work OOTB, which will requires you to download additional files to get online.

Before installation, please boot into Mint live USB and run below command in Terminal (ctrl+alt+t) to output actual system configuration and post results here. Also, while you are in Mint live session, see if you can get online.

inxi -Fxz
I do have wifi and ethernet. I might have deleted that line; it's running an AC wifi card. That leads to the question I'll be posting next, in a few minutes. But to answer your question about my setup:

xilong@Safehold ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: Safehold Kernel: 4.15.0-65-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: MATE 1.18.0 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   System: LENOVO (portable) product: 20KV000JCD v: ThinkPad E585
           Mobo: LENOVO model: 20KV000JCD v: SDK0K09938 WIN
           Bios: LENOVO v: R0UET74W (1.54 ) date: 07/23/2019
CPU:       Dual core AMD Ryzen 3 2200U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (-HT-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 9980
           clock speeds: max: 2500 MHz 1: 1427 MHz 2: 1398 MHz 3: 1490 MHz
           4: 1499 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Raven Ridge [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series]
           bus-ID: 05:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,vesa (unloaded: fbdev,radeon)
           Resolution: 1368x768@0.00hz
           GLX Renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 6.0, 128 bits)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 18.0.5 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Device 15e3
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 05:00.6
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Device 15de
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 05:00.1
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-65-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 2000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter
           driver: ath10k_pci bus-ID: 04:00.0
           IF: wlp4s0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-3: Atheros usb-ID: 003-002
           IF: N/A state: N/A speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: N/A
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (6.4% used)
           ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 model: N/A size: 128.0GB
           ID-2: /dev/sda model: ST500LM021 size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 102G used: 15G (15%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-0
           ID-2: /boot size: 472M used: 131M (30%) fs: ext2 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p1
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 16.64GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-2
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 47.1C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 12288
Info:      Processes: 189 Uptime: 30 min Memory: 1068.4/15602.0MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
Wow, I wish I knew how to do that when I was using Win10, 'cause I was asking for help about yet another stupid thing that used to work in 7 or only works in Pro and not Home at least once a month, and I got tired of retyping all of that data! I need to start making a list of super-useful Linux commands!

Anyway, thank you all for the warm welcomes and the ready advice, most especially those of you who mentioned the best ways to learn Mint and Terminal. I'm off to post a question about Wifi, but those details are for another thread. :)

-=WX

wang xilong
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wang xilong » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:02 am

Incidentally and totally unrelated, My Windows 10 laptop completely died yesterday morning. I spent the day backing up from the Mint stick I used to make this machine work, then formatted C, and will probably be putting Mint on there, too. In which case I'll be repartitioning and deleting the Lenovo factory Windows partitions, which were absolutely insane from the start.

-=WX

Return to “Newbie Questions”