How do I uninstall programs?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
NamelessPenguin
Level 1
Level 1

How do I uninstall programs?

Post by NamelessPenguin » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:49 am

I know, very banal.

If I use the Software Manager, I have the option to just click on Remove, but I just installed a wrong version of KiCAD, which I would like to remove and re-install. But I have no idea how to do this.

It would also be nice to know how I generally remove programs, and not just KiCAD. Do I just delete folders and shortcuts, or what do I do?

Bonus question Sometimes I need to do something like this: "sudo add-apt-repository ppa:js-reynaud/kicad-5.1" - is this just to update the repository?

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Re: How do I uninstall programs?

Post by gm10 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:57 am

NamelessPenguin wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:49 am
If I use the Software Manager, I have the option to just click on Remove, but I just installed a wrong version of KiCAD, which I would like to remove and re-install. But I have no idea how to do this.
What's stopping you from clicking on Remove on the installed version and then install whatever you wanted to install? Although in your case I believe all you may want to do is update to the newer version using Update Manager.
NamelessPenguin wrote:
It would also be nice to know how I generally remove programs, and not just KiCAD. Do I just delete folders and shortcuts, or what do I do?
How about you click on Remove in Software Manager? :shock:
NamelessPenguin wrote:
Bonus question Sometimes I need to do something like this: "sudo add-apt-repository ppa:js-reynaud/kicad-5.1" - is this just to update the repository?
This adds a new third-party repository. Be sure you trust that repository's owner.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:06 am

NamelessPenguin wrote:
"sudo add-apt-repository ppa:js-reynaud/kicad-5.1" - is this just to update the repository?
Try

Code: Select all

man program-name
and/or

program-name --help
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

DAMIEN1307
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:23 pm

If your just afraid that there might be some "remnants" of something left over after "remove" from software manager, just copy and paste these few commands in your terminal after "removal" of programs...that should take care of this for you...DAMIEN

sudo apt autoremove --purge

Clear Miscellaneous Detritus:

dpkg -l | grep '^rc' | awk '{print $2}' | sudo xargs dpkg --purge

dpkg -l | grep '^rc' | awk '{print $2}' | xargs sudo apt-get purge
ORDO AB CHAO

NamelessPenguin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NamelessPenguin » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:24 pm

gm10 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:57 am
NamelessPenguin wrote:
What's stopping you from clicking on Remove on the installed version and then install whatever you wanted to install? Although in your case I believe all you may want to do is update to the newer version using Update Manager.
I installed Code Composer Studio the other day, which is not in the Software Manager (about 50% of what I'm looking for is there), so I had to install it from Texas Instruments web page. That's fine, just until when it comes to uninstalling, then things become a pain. I had no idea how to do it. So, when I use the Software Manager, nothing is stopping me.
Flemur wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:06 am
NamelessPenguin wrote:
"sudo add-apt-repository ppa:js-reynaud/kicad-5.1" - is this just to update the repository?
Try

man program-name
and/or

program-name --help
Thanks for the commands, though they don't do much for KiCAD. The second one opened up the program, but didn't do anything else. I'm guessing it was supposed to open the program and also the help section.
DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:23 pm
If your just afraid that there might be some "remnants" of something left over after "remove" from software manager, just copy and paste these few commands in your terminal after "removal" of programs...that should take care of this for you...DAMIEN

sudo apt autoremove --purge

Clear Miscellaneous Detritus:

dpkg -l | grep '^rc' | awk '{print $2}' | sudo xargs dpkg --purge

dpkg -l | grep '^rc' | awk '{print $2}' | xargs sudo apt-get purge
Yes, exactly. I'm used to the "Uninstall a program" feature in Windows, which I'm missing here. I never knew what it exactly did, nor do I care. I just wanna learn how to uninstall programs as good (or close to it) as Windoze did it.

Thanks for the help, all. Still trying to get the hang of Linux.

DAMIEN1307
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:31 pm

For future you can also uninstall any program installed from either "synaptic Package Manager" or "Software Manager" that will be found in the "Menu"...DAMIEN
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ORDO AB CHAO

NamelessPenguin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NamelessPenguin » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:42 pm

Just tried the "sudo apt remove --purge" command. That sure nukes the program. But when I use that, it searches in the same list as Software Manager would, right? I can't use that command for something that's not on the list?

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:56 pm

NamelessPenguin wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:24 pm
gm10 wrote:
NamelessPenguin wrote:
I installed Code Composer Studio the other day, which is not in the Software Manager (about 50% of what I'm looking for is there), so I had to install it from Texas Instruments web page. That's fine, just until when it comes to uninstalling, then things become a pain. I had no idea how to do it. So, when I use the Software Manager, nothing is stopping me.
Software Manager will let you remove software you installed from other sources as well as long as you installed it from a Debian package (.deb file).
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BenTrabetere » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:49 am

NamelessPenguin wrote:
A bit late to the party, but you have three options when it comes to KiCad - add the PPA, install the flatpak, or use the AppImage. The version in the default repository is old and should not be used for new designs.

I consider the PPA to be safe and its maintainer to be trustworthy; that said, I do not use it and I am a little reluctant to recommend it. I think the flatpak is a better option than the PPA. It is listed in Software Manager ... search on KiCad and scroll to the bottom of the list.

I use the AppImage, I think is an even better option than the flatpak. An AppImage is a self-contained package that includes everything the program needs to run. An AppImage is not “installed” it the traditional sense - you download the AppImage file, make it executable, and run. If you do not like the program, simply delete the file. You can find the KiCad Appimage at
https://github.com/KarlZeilhofer/kicad- ... e/releases.

If you are running Linux Mint 19.x, the file you want is KiCad-5.1.4.glibc2.27-x86_64.AppImage.

NamelessPenguin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NamelessPenguin » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:11 pm

gm10 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:56 pm
NamelessPenguin wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:24 pm
gm10 wrote:

Software Manager will let you remove software you installed from other sources as well as long as you installed it from a Debian package (.deb file).
Cool! Didn't know that.
BenTrabetere wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:49 am
NamelessPenguin wrote:
A bit late to the party, but you have three options when it comes to KiCad - add the PPA, install the flatpak, or use the AppImage. The version in the default repository is old and should not be used for new designs.

I consider the PPA to be safe and its maintainer to be trustworthy; that said, I do not use it and I am a little reluctant to recommend it. I think the flatpak is a better option than the PPA. It is listed in Software Manager ... search on KiCad and scroll to the bottom of the list.

I use the AppImage, I think is an even better option than the flatpak. An AppImage is a self-contained package that includes everything the program needs to run. An AppImage is not “installed” it the traditional sense - you download the AppImage file, make it executable, and run. If you do not like the program, simply delete the file. You can find the KiCad Appimage at
https://github.com/KarlZeilhofer/kicad- ... e/releases.

If you are running Linux Mint 19.x, the file you want is KiCad-5.1.4.glibc2.27-x86_64.AppImage.
I opted for the PPA solution, since it was what the KiCAD webpage pointed to. Good enough for me, I suppose.

Return to “Newbie Questions”