Getting Thunderbird to open on 2nd monitor

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
jave
Level 1
Level 1

Getting Thunderbird to open on 2nd monitor

Post by jave » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:59 am

Hi all,

Not a real Linux newbie, but moving over from Windows 10 to Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon.

I use Mozilla Thunderbird as my email client. I moved my profile across fine and have set up my Google calendar. One issue remains though. When I go to open Thunderbird, it opens on my main display. How do I get Thunderbird to open on my 2nd monitor?

I've tried mucking around with the DISPLAY variable when opening Thunderbird as listed here - https://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index. ... 63092.html
but have had no luck.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Getting Thunderbird to open on 2nd monitor

Post by Hoser Rob » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:54 am

I haven't had Cinnamon installed for a while and don't know how to do this (or even if ir's possible, which I'm not assuming). But I can tell you that that link you posted is 11 years old and pretty out of date. There's very little backwards compatibility in Linux so you need solutions for your point release. IN Mint 19.x that's Ubuntu 18.04.

vimes666
Level 3
Level 3

Post by vimes666 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:19 pm

I have the same problem in mint mate 18.1 and 19.2. I did some searching and only found some pretty old forum entries. Most of them advise to remove or delete xulstore.json and localstore.rdf located somewhere in the .thunderbird tree. This did not solve the issue at my end.
The screen location is correctly stored in the (new) xulstore.json when you quit thunderbird but it seemes to be ignored at startup of thunderbird and is overwritten with the default position. Firefox has the same faulty behaviour so it seems to be a bug on the mozilla end.

jave
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jave » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:59 pm

Many thanks for your replies. I guess I'll have to live with how it is for now.

jave
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jave » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:22 am

I have come up with a "solution". I add a "Desklet" to my 2nd monitor, then launch Thunderbird from there. Thunderbird then opens up in 2nd monitor. :D

Return to “Newbie Questions”