Kernel update wrecks my internet connection

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
monere
Level 4
Level 4

Kernel update wrecks my internet connection

Post by monere » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:47 pm

Hi,

If you remember, a few days ago I have managed to install mint 19.2 xfce and make it see an internet connection by following the steps in this tutorial (point #6 more specifically)

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... altek.html

But, a few minutes ago when I got home from work the update manager has served me this update:

https://i.postimg.cc/SxpmJXwN/update.png

Well, as soon as I installed the update I was required to reboot the computer, which I did, and after following the steps at point #6 in that tutorial again (with some minor errors that I also got few days ago, as well, but which has still let me use the internet), and after rebooting linux couldn't find an internet connection anymore. It even provided me with a message saying that my computer is offline and that I should check my internet settings, but... I am clueless about what to do.

The reason I am able to type this message now is because i used Timeshift for the first time in my life (yay, me! :p ) and it worked, allowing me to restore the last snapshot that has been taken just minutes before me updating the kernel

These being said, can someone help me update the kernel and still be able to use the internet? Or am I doomed to make this compromise: internet vs. up-to-date OS? I really don't know which one is worse and I'd hate to choose between the 2 :)

John

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Kernel update wrecks my internet connection

Post by blueocean » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:15 am

Good call on using Timeshift. I worked around this issue on a friend's laptop by getting a wireless USB dongle. These work very well on Mint:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076 ... UTF8&psc=1
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

monere
Level 4
Level 4

Post by monere » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:03 am

blueocean wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:15 am
Good call on using Timeshift. I worked around this issue on a friend's laptop by getting a wireless USB dongle. These work very well on Mint:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076 ... UTF8&psc=1
you really want me to buy one of these devices, don't you? :)

Anyway, I can't buy it until weekend when I go to store, and I won't buy from amazon because shipping doubles the cost :)

Besides, I have only 2 good USB slots, one of which is taken by the mouse. So I'd like to keep the other one free, just in case. Also, I'm gonna wait for more suggestions, maybe someone knows how to make my network card update-proof for all eternity. What i don't understand, however, is why the

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
command finds no networking devices. Linux is usually pretty good at detecting the hardware, so why does it fail to detect mine???

Off-topic... have you ever played Subnautica, blueocean? Your avatar picture reminds me strongly of that game, so I take it that you like the ocean, and if you're a gamer you must at least have heard of this amazing game. I deem it the best game of the last 10 years, and I'm not even a fan of the genre. If you have played it you definitely like it if you're a fan of the... um... blue ocean :) ... If you haven't played it yet, though, and would like to play follow these 2 bits of advice religiously and you're gonna enjoy the game immensely: 1) save the game as much as possible (every 20-30 minutes) because sometimes it has some nasty crashes and glitches... and 2) stay away from any wiki, tutorial, youtube, research, etc. I am dead serious. This game is amazing as long as you go completely blind in it Even if at some points in the game you are stuck resist the temptation to look up any tips. If you manage to do this you're gonna have several WHAAA... and WHOA! moments that only Subnautica can offer. If you're gonna do any bit of research AT ALL on any topic you might spoil everything, and it would be a pity.

Ok, that's all for now. I'm gonna wait for more suggestions regarding my issue and if none comes up I'll probably buy that USB thingy and be done with this crap

Cheers!

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:28 pm

I guess you could upgrade to a 5.x kernel using the update manager and lock the kernel after fixing the issue (your issue may be fixed due to the higher kernel as is).
You're right, some of the gurus here may have a great fix. Haven't played the game, but I love the ocean and pine for the days I spent in the subtropics snorkeling.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

monere
Level 4
Level 4

Post by monere » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:09 pm

blueocean wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:28 pm
I guess you could upgrade to a 5.x kernel using the update manager and lock the kernel after fixing the issue (your issue may be fixed due to the higher kernel as is).
You're right, some of the gurus here may have a great fix. Haven't played the game, but I love the ocean and pine for the days I spent in the subtropics snorkeling.
I think you should give Subnautica a try :)

Regarding the upgrade... I thought that the update manager finds the latest updates automatically, which means that the kernel update it's presented to me should have been the latest, or??

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:38 pm

Update Manager>view kernels>the list. The first screen shows the 5.3 available and 5.15 will show your active. You can update to any higher one by highlighting it and choose install. I strongly advise a Timeshift snapshot being made first.

monere
Level 4
Level 4

Post by monere » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:54 pm

blueocean wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:38 pm
Update Manager>view kernels>the list. The first screen shows the 5.3 available and 5.15 will show your active. You can update to any higher one by highlighting it and choose install. I strongly advise a Timeshift snapshot being made first.
my current kernel is 4.15 (superseded), but I'm gonna install 5.3 anyway. Thanks for the tip

Return to “Newbie Questions”