Group Windows ? or Windows Group ? - Solved

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
DC8Captain
Level 1
Level 1

Group Windows ? or Windows Group ? - Solved

Post by DC8Captain »

For some reason, I can't remember what, I was in a setting window titled Group Window(s) ? or Window(s) Group ?. I pressed some button and all my panel icons disappeared. I can't find the settings window I was in to undo what I did. Hope someone can decipher what I'm talking about. I can't remember much else on what I did. Oh, I also can't see any icons in the panel when a program is open and I can't add any program icons to the panel. The only icon currently on the panel is the Desktop program icon on the far left.
Last edited by DC8Captain on Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

decrepit
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Group Windows ? or Windows Group ?

Post by decrepit »

well the first thing anybody that can help will want, is which version of mint and which desktop are you using? I believe the controls are a bit different for Cinnamon, Mate and Xfce

smurphos
Level 15
Level 15

Post by smurphos »

I'm going to guess Cinnamon.

Right click the Panel > Applets > Highlight Grouped-Window-List > Click Add.

Optionally right click the panel, check panel edit mode and then drag the applet to the desired position. Uncheck panel-edit mode when done.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

DC8Captain
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DC8Captain »

smurphos wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:41 am
I'm going to guess Cinnamon.

Right click the Panel > Applets > Highlight Grouped-Window-List > Click Add.

Optionally right click the panel, check panel edit mode and then drag the applet to the desired position. Uncheck panel-edit mode when done.
When I do that any programs appearing in the panel are grouped to the right with the date,sound and other such icons. In the panel settings the left zone is selected. Also the date, time and other such icons take up more panel space than before. Things are all messed up. Is there a return to default setting for the whole OS?

smurphos
Level 15
Level 15

Post by smurphos »

DC8Captain wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:10 am
Is there a return to default setting for the whole OS?
Right click the panel > Troubleshoot > Restore all Settings to Default.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

DC8Captain
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DC8Captain »

smurphos wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:33 am
DC8Captain wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:10 am
Is there a return to default setting for the whole OS?
Right click the panel > Troubleshoot > Restore all Settings to Default.
Thanks - All seems well but I'll check things further in the AM before posting a "solved" in the thread title.

Update: Everything seems fine with the panel reset. Marking my problem solved above.

Return to “Newbie Questions”