Viewing ZModo-DVR CCTV on Mint?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
TallStranger
Level 1
Level 1

Viewing ZModo-DVR CCTV on Mint?

Post by TallStranger »

Hi, I currently have an old win8.1 PC for viewing our home security cameras using the ZModo software that came with the DVR.

I'd really like to dump win8.1 and install Mint for uniformity but have not yet found something to replace the windows software.

The spec sheet for the ZModo DVR says the video data is transmitted as H264 over our 10/100 Ethernet network.Is there a Linux-something I can use to view this and be totally windows-free?

Thanks
Acer i7, 8GB, 512GB-SSD Please NOTE
I always do extensive online research BEFORE asking here. I am NOT one of the LAZY ones :)

GS3
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Viewing ZModo-DVR CCTV on Mint?

Post by GS3 »

TallStranger wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:53 pm
Hi, I currently have an old win8.1 PC for viewing our home security cameras using the ZModo software that came with the DVR.

I'd really like to dump win8.1 and install Mint for uniformity but have not yet found something to replace the windows software.

The spec sheet for the ZModo DVR says the video data is transmitted as H264 over our 10/100 Ethernet network.Is there a Linux-something I can use to view this and be totally windows-free?
This can get complicated pretty quick. I am not familiar with ZModo.

Do you have a physically separate, stand-alone DVR or it is software on a computer?

Are the cameras ONVIF compliant? ONVIF is a standard which sets how these devices communicate. If they are not compliant then you would have to find out from the manufacturer.

I have found Onvif Device Manager by Synesis to be the best in scanning the LAN and telling you what ONVIF devices you have and how you can connect to them.

In my case I can display the IP cameras using VLC, each individually. If you want to generate a composite, etc. then that's a different issue.

To give you an idea of how I do it, the command line for one of the cameras is

Code: Select all

usr/bin/vlc rtsp://192.168.2.131:554/user=admin_password=ghfrtij_channel=1_stream=0.sdp?real_stream
This was figured out by Onvif Device Manager, not by me.
usr/bin/vlc is the program path
rtsp is the protocol used for the video stream (like http)
192.168.2.131:554 is the IP address and port
user=admin_password=ghfrtij are self-explanatory but that is not the password I use myself. These cheap cams are full of security holes and the software can figure out what password will work.
Channel# if more than one
Stream is because you generally can ask for the same image in different definitions, HD for recording, Low def for viewing over the internet, etc.

Note that, for several reasons, it is best to have a dedicated NVR with a purpose disk than to use a computer for the recording.
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-171-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia - Kernel 5.3.0-51-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 4.4.8 - Nvidia GF108

TallStranger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TallStranger »

Thanks for the detailed reply. I should have been more clear.

Yes, it is a stand alone DVR box with an IP 192.168.107.94 and 4-cameras.

I am messing with your suggestions but getting little success. I'll keep trying. Thanks again.
I always do extensive online research BEFORE asking here. I am NOT one of the LAZY ones :)

TallStranger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TallStranger »

OK, getting somewhere. By the by, I do not need to record, I just want to have video running live to watch.

VLC loads and the status bar has an orange colored slider night-ridering back and forth. When I close VLC I get
live555 demux error: Failed to connect with 192.168 ...
I went to the windows PC+NVMS-5 ZModo software and checked configuration and the Command Port is 5010, Media 6010
I tried both the Command Port and Media Port and get the same errors.
live555 demux error: Failed to connect with 192.168 ... (repeats the original command)
satip stream error: read error: resource tempoorarily unavailable
satip stream error: Failed to setup RTSP session (I also tried using HTTP, but no joy there either)
access_realrtsp stream error: cannot connect to 192.168..
QObject::~QObject: Timers cannot be stopped from another thread

GS3
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GS3 »

TallStranger wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:00 pm
OK, getting somewhere. By the by, I do not need to record, I just want to have video running live to watch.

VLC loads and the status bar has an orange colored slider night-ridering back and forth.
It seems the command line is not correct.
What command line are you using and how did you get it?
Can you see the video with Onvif Device Manager (in windows)? Because that is the what should tell you what command line it is using.

Trying to guess at what command line will work is probably a waste of time.
Another way would be to get the specs and manuals for the cameras and see if they have the necessary info.

(By the way and by chance, as I am typing this I can see from one of my cameras a couple of guys in the street trying to repair or troubleshoot one of those huge American cars from the 1970s.)
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-171-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia - Kernel 5.3.0-51-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 4.4.8 - Nvidia GF108

TallStranger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TallStranger »

Thanks, tried the poorly designed and buggy Onvif Device Manager but it showed nothing of use. No matter what I tried to do with it, it never found the DVRs or the cameras.

GS3
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GS3 »

TallStranger wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:00 am
Thanks, tried the poorly designed and buggy Onvif Device Manager but it showed nothing of use. No matter what I tried to do with it, it never found the DVRs or the cameras.
I do not know why you would say it is "poorly designed and buggy" because it has always worked perfectly well for me.

You do realise it is for Onvif devices I hope. If your devices are not Onvif then, obviously, an Onvif detector will not work.

With the information you have supplied I am going to guess the devices are not Onvif compliant.

Return to “Newbie Questions”