Prevent system from going to sleep while file copy operation is in progress

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
speleomania
Level 1
Level 1

Prevent system from going to sleep while file copy operation is in progress

Post by speleomania »

Let's say I have a large video folder I need to transfer to a new machine. Both running Linux Mint.
The way they're currently setup the machines will go to sleep after 15-30mins of inactivity
Let's say the copy operation will take 4h to complete, so I'd like to leave it running overnight

If I attempt to copy the folder both machines will go to sleep and only say 5% of the folder contents will be transferred the following day
If I activate the caffeine app /thus disabling the sleep completely/ the folder will transfer in ~4h and both machines will sit around doing nothing for 4 or more hours until I disable the caffeine app

Ideally I'd like to prevent the machines from going to sleep WHILE the file operation is in progress much like SMPlayer for example prevents the PC from sleeping while Im watching a movie. That shouldn't be that difficult to do and IMO should be the default behaviour already but it isn't. So - any comments, suggestions, tips, tricks?
AnonymousFighter
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Prevent system from going to sleep while file copy operation is in progress

Post by AnonymousFighter »

Disable sleep, no other way.

Return to “Newbie Questions”