[Solved] Mint 20.1 incompatibility with new hardware

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Rockman81
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Mint 20.1 incompatibility with new hardware

Post by Rockman81 »

Hi I have been an avid windows user been converted after running a duel boot system and been using mint 20 for over a year now and not needed windows for months. I am not a power linux user learning and getting better but this has got me stumped on what to do here:
I have just got a brand new computer right out of box
Lenovo thinkpad E15 gen 2 11th Gen
Processor
11th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-1165G7 (4C / 8T, 2.8 / 4.7GHz, 12MB)

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64

Memory
16GB SO-DIMM DDR4-3200

Hard Drive
512GB SSD M.2 2242 PCIe NVMe

Graphics
NVIDIA® GeForce® MX450 2GB GDDR5

As you can see it has newer hardware and I am having trouble getting mint to run on it . I do not need windows on this laptop so decided to install mint only on drive, I have a mint 20 and mint 20.1 Image on two separate thumb drives. I reformatted and installed 20 and got the black screen - i changed the boot loader from splash to "nomodeset" as described here: https://linuxmint.com/rel_ulyssa_cinnamon.php
Worked a treat :) had linux running but had issues with no sound and when i did a system update I restarted and then got the black screen again :(

I then wondered if it was a mint 20 and if 20.1 would work better with the newer hardware, so I did the same process again with mint 20.1 I had it running after doing nomodeset starting mint running driver update selecting nvidia-driver-460 restarted and mint was running i then did a timeshift save,

After going to update manager i selected all updates and when I rebooted the black screen was back, I then went into grub and through command line, root access, rolled back to the previous timeshift and I was back to start.

I then had a look at what updated could be the possible fault, did not do a core update but some of what i thought where generic updates and then on restart the black screen was back :((

I am a bit of a loss on what to do now, How can I determine what is causing the issue, what can and what cant I update. I have been on this for hours and still not got a working computer. I would just like to get a working mint on my new machine. In desperation come to the Forum would be very Grateful to get any direction from more experienced users.

Kind Regards
Last edited by Rockman81 on Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
LanceM
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Mint 20.1 incompatibility with new hardware

Post by LanceM »

Did you try the Edge iso? https://www.linuxmint.com/release.php?id=39
You can boot to it and see. Also did you shut of secure boot?
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php
Rockman81
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rockman81 »

Hi Lance,
thanks for you reply,
yes secure boot is off,
no did not try edge only the standard cinnamon . did not know there was an Edge version
May be worth a shot thanks
RIH
Level 6
Level 6

Post by RIH »

LanceM wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:32 pm
Did you try the Edge iso? https://www.linuxmint.com/release.php?id=39
You can boot to it and see. Also did you shut of secure boot?
Is there much difference between the edge version & updating a 20.1 release with the 5.8 series kernels??
LanceM
Level 11
Level 11

Post by LanceM »

Well you get the 5.8 kernel which was put in the iso for newer hardware support. The 11th Gen intel were launched in the first quarter of 2021 whereas the edge iso was released end of 2020, so it's really hard to say. It looks like the graphics card was on market in 2020.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php
RIH
Level 6
Level 6

Post by RIH »

So it might be worth the OP installing the latest 5.8 kernel on his system & see if that improves things??
Rockman81
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rockman81 »

Thanks Guys for you input,
I Have now updated to the edge iso and installed on laptop and it is behaving right out of the box, I had audio problems and they have fixed themselves,
I am now going through the 50 odd listed updates, While creating a timeshift so I have some restore points but all is going alot better with the edge iso

I started with the kernel updates and now Kernel is 5.8 and all seems good

Edge ISO Seems to be the Answer
Rockman81
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rockman81 »

Alot Happier Now all seems to be working fine.

The Edge ISO worked right out of the Box with its older kernel,

did all updates not problems including updating to latest Kernel

thanks Guys for your Help, Made my day better :)
RIH
Level 6
Level 6

Re: [Solved] Mint 20.1 incompatibility with new hardware

Post by RIH »

Glad you got it sorted...
Happy computing... :D

Return to “Newbie Questions”