What you can't do with Xfce compared to Cinnamon

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
simply passing
Level 1
Level 1

What you can't do with Xfce compared to Cinnamon

Post by simply passing »

What's the differences? They say Xfce lacking features, what kind of features it lacks?
spamegg
Level 5
Level 5

Re: What you can't do with Xfce compared to Cinnamon

Post by spamegg »

Mostly fancy looks and eye candy. Nicer animations etc. Cinnamon has a lot of "spices" and extensions you can install. XFCE is also customizable but it's not easy.
https://itsfoss.com/linux-mint-cinnamon-mate-xfce/
Green man
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Green man »

In my opinion, the major advantage of Cinnamon, is the way everything works makes it a softer landing place for Windows users. I also think being that soft landing place is an important function to serve in the desktop Linux ecosystem.
The other advantage for Cinnamon is the spices. It's likely that there are some unique features that can be implemented through Cinnamon spices that would be rather challenging to implement in another way.
On the other hand, spice update mechanics are a little bit wonky at the moment, but they're fixing that in Cinnamon 5, as per Clem's latest announcement.

That said, for my own workflow, I find I can actually do more with Xfce although I do combine it with Compiz. The settings have their own very modular Xfce logic to them, which means that the Xfce edition comes with a little bit more of a learning curve than the Cinnamon edition, (particularly for those with Windows-based intuitions), but now that I'm used to it I'm a bit addicted to the Xfce logic.
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

What do you find in Xfce that is lacking in Cinnamon?
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear smart until you hear what they are saying.
You will seldom see a grey-beard wearing a tinfoil hat.
simply passing
Level 1
Level 1

Post by simply passing »

Thank you all for the answers.
I have not yet install xfce. I used cinnamon and I like it but for my old laptop I only want basic functionality, that's all I want in general.
ThaCrip
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ThaCrip »

simply passing wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 3:48 am
Thank you all for the answers.
I have not yet install xfce. I used cinnamon and I like it but for my old laptop I only want basic functionality, that's all I want in general.
Yeah, you have basically the same mindset as myself, which is...

-If you got a decent CPU/GPU = Cinnamon
-If your hardware is a bit older and especially lacks GPU acceleration = Xfce (although Cinnamon is still a option but it might be a little more laggy since it's all on CPU but if you got GPU acceleration it's nice and snappy)

but one of the most immediate things I like on Cinnamon over Xfce is Cinnamon acts more like Windows in the sense when say you have a few open file manager windows for example, you can hover the mouse over it and you see the small little windows open and hovering mouse over each one shows the window on screen temporarily to see what's in it etc. this does not happen on Xfce. if Xfce had that, I would probably choose Xfce over Cinnamon since it seems like a safer bet in general for stability over a wider range of PC's.
PrimaryPC: i5-3550 CPU (@ -0.130v (13c cooler under load) with stock i3-2120 heatsink) | Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB GPU | 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Mint v20.1-Cinnamon. Backups: AMD E-300 CPU (8GB RAM) / Athlon X2 3600+ CPU (4GB RAM) /w Mint v20.1-Xfce
marts123
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marts123 »

Might be worth mentioning..
I swapped from Cinnamon to Xfce due to the file manager in Cinnamon (Nemo) was unable to cope with more than a hundred or so thumbnails. It simply hung the application or crashed it.
I have no problems with thumbnails on Xfce's Thunar.
It might be down to a lack of hardware acceleration or an under powered laptop, but I'm now hooked on Xfce :)
Tolayon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tolayon »

Well, Cinnamon is overall more smooth and polished, but also a bit more unstable.
Theming-wise the great thing about Cinnamon is that you can apply different themes to the panel and menu section (also called "Desktop") and the applications ("Buttons"). That gives you the dark menu and light other theming that so many people like and know from Windows 10.

Xfce, on the other hand may be more clunky, but also more stable most of the time. While you only have one theme for all of the desktop - and not even the "Darker" Mint-Y variants give you a dark menu -, you have way more choices of window manager (Xfwm) themes and the way you can combine them with the rest. However, traditional Xfwm seems to get thrown out in Xfce 4.16 and replaced by a Gnome-style windows decoration scheme.

Two things I really appreaciate about Xfce are 1) its abilty to assign different backgrounds to different workspaces and switch between the latter ones just with your mouse wheel.
2) is the flexibility of the Whisker menu, which can be resized whichever way you want. Plus it also features a "recently used" section, which the Cinnamon menu doesn't.
missmoondog
Level 5
Level 5

Post by missmoondog »

for me, i love simplicity/stability and thus xfce. i install it on every computer no matter how new. i figure even on a new computer, that will make my computer feel even that much faster. heck with eye candy stuff. part of the reason i dumped windows 10.
Finston Pickle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Finston Pickle »

I like to have shortcuts to all my regularly used applications on the Cinnamon desktop (carryover from my Windows XP usage).

Can you do this with Xfce?
AZgl1500
Level 16
Level 16
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

marts123 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 5:50 am
Might be worth mentioning..
I swapped from Cinnamon to Xfce due to the file manager in Cinnamon (Nemo) was unable to cope with more than a hundred or so thumbnails. It simply hung the application or crashed it.
I have no problems with thumbnails on Xfce's Thunar.
It might be down to a lack of hardware acceleration or an under powered laptop, but I'm now hooked on Xfce :)
I suspicion you Hit the Nail on the Head.

My laptop is just now 24 months from initial release and has received one BIOS update roughly 15 months later.

NEMO for me, works perfect, I have never had it crash in 19.3 Cinnamon.

16gB RAM and the video card has dedicated RAM, lots of it.

I constantly use NEMO in thumbnail mode so I can see the images before I select one.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon / ASUS FX705GM
Ivy_Pool
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ivy_Pool »

Finston Pickle wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 2:48 pm
I like to have shortcuts to all my regularly used applications on the Cinnamon desktop (carryover from my Windows XP usage).

Can you do this with Xfce?
Yes, you can.
Reddog1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Reddog1 »

I use Xfce exclusively, and have for years. But then, I'm one of those that thinks that Windows XP was the best Windows desktop ever. I always use the Clearlooks2-Squared-Berries theme and I always use the iLinux-icons set. In a rut? Probably, but the desktops looks nice and are familiar and I see no good reason to change (and my setup looks a lot like XP). I setup my wife's desktop the same way, and she's never had a complaint about Xfce. I had her on Cinnamon for a while, and she complained about the menu layout because she's been on the Xfce desktop for so many years and the menu layout is different. She's been using Linux since 1999 and she tells her friends, 'If I can use Linux it must be easy'. She's correct.
marts123
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marts123 »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:19 pm
I Wrote
I suspicion you Hit the Nail on the Head.

My laptop is just now 24 months from initial release and has received one BIOS update roughly 15 months later.

NEMO for me, works perfect, I have never had it crash in 19.3 Cinnamon.

16gB RAM and the video card has dedicated RAM, lots of it.

I constantly use NEMO in thumbnail mode so I can see the images before I select one.
Maybe...I could understand that more if it was on a system wide basis, but the only real problem I had with nemo was with thumbnails.
Two programs doing the same job, yet one of them crashes and the other one copes with ease. It doesn't sound entirely like a hardware problem..