restore timeshift snapshot after resizing partitions?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
simian
Level 2
Level 2

restore timeshift snapshot after resizing partitions?

Post by simian »

Hi,

I need to resize several partitions on my dual boot SSD (win10, linux mint). This would affect location and size of swap and linux partitions, but it would still be a dual boot drive.

I know that changing partitions will change the UUID of the partitions. Would it be possible to restore my current timeshift snapshots to the new linux partition when it has a different UUID, or can snapshots only be restored to the original partition? Would grub still be able to boot linux when the partition has moved and has a different UUID?

tnx!

linux mint 19.3 mate
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: restore timeshift snapshot after resizing partitions?

Post by AndyMH »

I know that changing partitions will change the UUID of the partitions.
No it doesn't, resizing or moving a partition does not change its UUID. Delete and recreate, yes.

So boot (grub) will be unaffected and you should be able to do a timeshift restore - but you shouldn't need to do this. It is better to be safe than sorry and make sure you have a backup before you start.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
simian
Level 2
Level 2

Re: restore timeshift snapshot after resizing partitions?

Post by simian »

Thanks for replying!
I didn't phrase this correctly. Because of bad experiences in the past, I resize partitions by actually making a new partition, that's why I mentioned the change in UUID.

From your answer I understand that grub relies on the UUID, so if the UUID changes, grub wouldn't be able to boot linux. Is that correct?

Is it possible to restore a timeshift snapshot to a different partition, meaning a partition in a different location, with a different size and with a different UUID from the the original partition?

thanks

Return to “Beginner Questions”