Been a Windows user most of my life

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Tech56548
Level 1
Level 1

Been a Windows user most of my life

Post by Tech56548 »

Hello all I been a Windows user most of my life just started using Linux mint and was wondering how long it going to take for me to learn my way round

Kind regards Tech
Schultz
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Been a Windows user most of my life

Post by Schultz »

If you're generally pretty good with computers, it won't take long at all.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

Start with this:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... namon.html

You can see it as a crash course that'll cost you "just" a few hours. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20.2 Uma
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Moem
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Moem »

Hello and welcome! No one here can answer that for you. It depends on things like:
- how proficient were you with Windows
- how curious / eager to learn are you
- are you likely to look things up if you run into a problem
- what kind of things do you use your computer for
- what do you consider knowing your way around

But I can tell you this much: my mother made the switch at the tender age of 78. She is not very technically minded, although I must say she is smart. She has fewer tech questions than she did back when she was on Windows, and by now (some 5 years later) she does not consider Mint to be harder than Windows, just a bit different.
So that's some anecdata for you.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Tech56548
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tech56548 »

Thank you very much for all the information I will keep you all updated

Kind regards Tech
Fizz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fizz »

And should you have any issues, the community is very friendly and always willing to help. So don't be shy about asking anything.

Welcome to the boards!

-Fizz
motoryzen
Level 6
Level 6

Post by motoryzen »

Tech56548 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:54 pm
Hello all I been a Windows user most of my life just started using Linux mint and was wondering how long it going to take for me to learn my way round

Kind regards Tech
Given you've just began using Linux Mint. Here are reasonable recommendations for you get acquainted with:

1st. Backups- 1st rule of using a PC..period should be knowing how to back up your system besides just copy/paste aka left click drag to another place ( aka manual backups)

Timeshift.... connect a separate physical drive and change the default target backup location away from / to that separate drive by opening Timeshift ( may require you type your password of course by default), then select " Browse" and locate that separate drive....

Why?

A. It makes no sense to target the same drive you're trying to backup. If crap ever hits the fan and that main drive ( that you're trying to keep a backup of) fails, you might lose your backup too.

B. Timeshift has proven to have this bad habit of filling up the default target ( that being / aka the root directory) fast and thus causing one's system to slow down severely and even crash. Yes I wish the creators/software dev maintainers of Timeshift would change this default behavior..at least the target location anyways *shrugs*

As far as whether or not to disable automatic backups...that's really up to your own preference. If you're the type of person who forgets to back things up, perhaps leave it on automatic but decide on how often. I make myself a reminder note via email, text or just play physical note to do manual backups and Timeshift " snapshots" once weekly, confirm everything works as it should, and then delete the 5th or 6th oldest one + always keep one system image backup using Foxclone at least once a month..sometimes more depending on how often I try out new software or choose to try new settings or changes that I'm not yet 100% familiar with.

2nd. K.I.S.S. "Keep it Simple Silly" is a tried and true quote to live by...be it computing life..or even the regular real world.
---- -- When in doubt, leave it alone. If you have that gut feeling you're not sure if you should update or upgrade something, don't do it yet. Ask around. Plenty of great people on here like SMG, Kadaitcha Man, AndyMH, All41, ( and the list goes on) can provide good and often indepth sources and info about particular software, kernels, and other coherent items and reasonable opinions or experience as to whether or not to update something and why or why not.

For me... three things I ALWAYS do some sort of backup about first before upgrading/updated...

A. Grub updates ( yes the experts on here will probably say there is virtually no risk or absolutely no risk anymore, but I play it safe from past experiences)
B. Kernel updates...as in MAJOR ones..( going from 5.4 to 5.8 for example. or 5.4 to 5.11, or 5.8 to 5.11. small ones like 5.11.30-whatever to 5.11.31-whatever..etc etc are minor and have never given me any problems)
C. Major Linux MInt version updates ( such as from 18.3 to 19, 19.3 to 20, 20.3 to 21 when that time comes)

If you become comfy with doing both of these two main types of backups, your journey ( although may seem tedious at first) will be much more pleasant on the long run using the mentality of " well let me back things up first..then I can experiment"

3rd. Section of " how to get help" specifically step 5 is your friend. Most often someone here will ask for help solving a problem or narrowing it down. Then, most often someone inevitably asks him or her to post results of the terminal command

inxi -Fxxxrz

Yes it posts much info about your system but none of the info is personally identifiable information and it saves much speculation time for all involved who are trying to help even if such info might not yet seem relevant enough to the person asking for help.

There is much more, but I've yacked enough for now :lol:

Please remember ( and someone correct me if I'm wrong to any extent) we are all volunteers here and try doing our best to help. We answer/reply when we can, but there isn't a guarantee that someone with the right answer will be able to reply immediately.

Having said all of that...welcome to the Linux Mint. Stay frosty :D
decrepit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by decrepit »

Just to add to motorzens great advice. Until you really know what you are doing, stick to getting software from "Software manager", unlike windows, installing stuff from the open internet can lead to big problems. Linux is very modular, and each module is regularly updated. The software manager repositories have programs that all work with each other. If any of these are changed you could have "dependencies problems".
ivar
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ivar »

I've been a windows user since 1991, i retired my home win10 pc in march due to crapped out fans.
As an experiment I decided to try out how it would be to run linux instead. Took 3-4 weeks to readjust to Mint Cinnamon but since then I've only fired up my old noisy win10 beast twice, lol!
I've found mint to be my ideal OS in the way it doesnt get in the way of what I want do do (unlike when new windows versions arrive and everything has been moved around and requires even more mouse clicks to access)
motoryzen
Level 6
Level 6

Post by motoryzen »

ivar wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:15 pm
I've been a windows user since 1991, i retired my home win10 pc in march due to crapped out fans.
As an experiment I decided to try out how it would be to run linux instead. Took 3-4 weeks to readjust to Mint Cinnamon but since then I've only fired up my old noisy win10 beast twice, lol!
I've found mint to be my ideal OS in the way it doesnt get in the way of what I want do do (unlike when new windows versions arrive and everything has been moved around and requires even more mouse clicks to access)
I couldn't agree more with ivar's experiences. It's the main reason why I switched. The only real thing I missed at first was being able to us the g1-g6 keys on my former Logitech g710+ keyboard ( g1 launched internet browser, g2 launched email, g3 launched makemkv, g4 launched handbrake, g5 launched Foobar2000, g6 launched calculator), but given I've easily figured out how to autolaunch all of that ...AND quad snap all the normal Nemo folders I want to auto launch and snap to the for screen corners as well as email, internet browser and other things.....I don't need those macro keys anymore and am currently enjoying my Ducky Shine One 2 keyboard with cherry mx silent switches ( call red..but more peachy pink imo *shrugs*)

It is SUCH a joy every day to boot up my PC again knowing I..., not some hypocritical lying and incompetent big corporation, control and truly OWN it. My thanks to Clem and the Linux Mint team(s) for consistently refining this great OS.
RollyShed
Level 5
Level 5

Post by RollyShed »

Tech56548 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:54 pm
I been a Windows user most of my life just started using Linux mint and was wondering how long it going to take for me to learn my way round
For the person sitting on the other side of the room from me, about 5 minutes, or less. That is after she'd dragged all her icons into the right places (or where she wanted them) on the desktop. Windows for decades, Linux Mint suddenly one morning.... two years ago.

Do I do instruction every now and again? Yes.
But if she was running Windows there'd still be the same instruction, only longer, as it is more difficult to do things in Windows.