Video Hardware Acceleration

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rokpa
Level 1
Level 1

Video Hardware Acceleration

Post by rokpa »

Hello

So I'm new to Linux Mint I've since been trying to ditch windows. anyway this is the first time I've installed Mint on a really big build but I'm not sure what is going on I may be having some issues that I can't fix. So Every time I start up Mint I get the "Video Hardware acceleration" message. The driver manager keeps bugging me about the wifi adapter I installed on the computer so it won't actually let me check for updated drivers. also my graphics card is a Radeon 6k series. Not sure if this makes a difference but I can't seem to find the fix for the hardware acceleration message on startup.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2021-09-19 17-39-05.png
Screenshot from 2021-09-19 17-39-05.png (15.58 KiB) Viewed 541 times
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Video Hardware Acceleration

Post by ralplpcr »

The first thing to do would be to get yourself connected to the internet. I don't know what hardware you're running, but the easiest would probably be to plug into an ethernet cable if possible. From there, we can try to figure out what drivers & settings may be needed to get your Radeon & WiFi adapters working.

If an ethernet cable isn't possible, the next best possibility would be a USB WiFi adapter. Many can be had for less than $10, if you don't already have one. This would be a temporary thing just to get you online so that you could download/install what you need.

In order to better assist, it would help if you could provide the output of the inxi -nG command. [Pay attention to the capitalization of that command - it is important here!]
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

ralplpcr wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:45 am ... it would help if you could provide the output of the inxi -nG command. [Pay attention to the capitalization of that command - it is important here!]
Yes, but that's not enough. Copy/paste the complete
text output of inxi -Fxz run in the terminal.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

<moderator note>Off-topic posts and those violating forum rules have been removed from the thread. </moderator note>
rokpa wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:54 pmThe driver manager keeps bugging me about the wifi adapter I installed on the computer so it won't actually let me check for updated drivers. also my graphics card is a Radeon 6k series. Not sure if this makes a difference but I can't seem to find the fix for the hardware acceleration message on startup.
You may be getting that message because the graphics drivers are not installed correctly/completely.

Radeon 6000 series drivers are included in the kernel, so there will not be any suggestions for it in Driver Manager.

Usually, if you get that message it is likely you need to be using a newer kernel, but we would need to see your information to confirm that. Taking photographs of the inxi info and posting them are an option if you do not have a network connection.

If you are not able to provide the requested inxi info, we need more information to be able to help you. What is the model of your cpu and gpu? What version of Mint did you install? And what the kernel version is installed?
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
BrandNewUser
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BrandNewUser »

6k is 6000 or 600?
If 6000 you probanly need the edge mint.

Return to “Beginner Questions”