[SOLVED] icons on the panel don't show previews no more

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED] icons on the panel don't show previews no more

Post by Pepper-Mint-Patty »

Normally when you scroll above the icons on the panel a preview shows the open documents. Somehow this doesn't happen anylonger. Now we can only use tab + alt to scroll them.
How restore this function?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
If guns don't kill, then OxyContin doesn't either, heroin isn't addicitve and fairy tales are real.
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

Re: icons on the panel don't show previews no more

40 views on this topic and not a single reaction, how is that possible? I can hardly believe this is the only laptop in the world with this issue.
If guns don't kill, then OxyContin doesn't either, heroin isn't addicitve and fairy tales are real.
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Pepper-Mint-Patty wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:51 amNormally when you scroll above the icons on the panel a preview shows the open documents.
Mine does, Cinnamon 20.2.
However which panel are you using? I always set up with Traditional, not the "new" Modern panel.
If you want to change it -
Preferences > Welcome Screen > First Steps and click on Traditional Panel Layout.
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

Hi RollyShed. I mean the black bar down the screen in 192. For nemo it shows the nr 5 (when 5folders are opened) and it used to showa preview so you can choose which to open. It used to work fine till now. No bloody clue what is going on.
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Pepper-Mint-Patty wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:56 pm 40 views on this topic and not a single reaction, how is that possible? I can hardly believe this is the only laptop in the world with this issue.
Maybe users get tired of posts with absolutely no useful info whatsoever posted. With your post count you should know better.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

@Hoser Rob, what 'usefull' information would be requested for such a problem, at the same time not being stripped naked?!
i've got the impression that it has something to do with the pc go into suspend mode and being used again. This several times during an 8 hour period. Today it seems to work ok again. The problem isn't solved by that. For the time being it doesn't occur.
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Pepper-Mint-Patty wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:23 am I mean the black bar down the screen in 192. For nemo it shows the nr 5 (when 5folders are opened) and it used to showa preview so you can choose which to open. It used to work fine till now. No bloody clue what is going on.
Black bar down the screen? What black bar down the screen? Or do you have the Panel on the side of the screen instead of along the bottom of the screen. If so it should still work the same way but do you have Traditional or Modern?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Pepper-Mint-Patty wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:59 am @Hoser Rob, what 'usefull' information would be requested for such a problem, at the same time not being stripped naked?!
As always: system information. You know what it looks like and where to get it.
And in this case, a screenshot wouldn't hurt.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

Hi RollyShed, by 'black bar down the screen' i mean the panel. I take it you mean 'modern' a panel that opens like halve a cirkel? I guess its 'traditional' only the 1 icon you touch gives a thumbnail preview.
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
BwingBob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BwingBob »

This post may get you there.
http://qdosmsq.dunbar-it.co.uk/blog/201 ... amon-17-3/

Worked for me I was able to turn thumbnails on and off.

Bob
Pop_OS! 22.04 {Dell Inspiron 15 5510}
Linux Mint Cinnamon 21 {Minisforum UM700}
Pop_OS! Thelio Mira ;-)
We have met the enemy and he is us. - Pogo
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Pepper-Mint-Patty wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:50 pm Hi RollyShed, by 'black bar down the screen' i mean the panel. I take it you mean 'modern' a panel that opens like halve a cirkel? I guess its 'traditional' only the 1 icon you touch gives a thumbnail preview.
I'm not sure what you are saying as English doesn't appear to be your first language. Location: Royston Vasey is a fictional place.

Is "halve a cirkel?" actually "half a circle?" If so No. The panel is a straight panel, no circle.
"black bar down the screen" seemed odd as most have it along the bottom of the screen. It doesn't actually matter where it is as long as we are talking about the Panel and not an anonymous "black bar" somewhere on the screen.

Back to Traditional or Modern. Traditional is thinner and each item opened, being worked on i.e. documents, etc. has a separate icon on the panel. With modern all the documents are heaped on top of each other.

I suspect BwingBob has the answer to your question.
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

Thnx BwingBob
Cinnamon 17.3 – 19.x

Code: Select all

Click the Menu button. (Mint’s equivalent of the ‘start’ button in some other operating systems!)
    Choose ‘Preferences’.
    Choose ‘Applets’.
    Scroll down, or search, for ‘Window List’.
    Select it, click the ‘configure’ button.
    Select ‘Show thumbnails on hover’.
Thats my default mode. Point i am trying to make is, it sometimes automagically doesn't work no more: no hovering.

@RollyShed: I suppose not all of us can live on South Island, but Royston Vasey, UK is a second best. We even have a true toad lover like there is one on this forum. But let's not get too nationalistic.
I am happy for you that at least you can write perfect English. That will keep the standard high. :wink:
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Pepper-Mint-Patty wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:47 pm@RollyShed: I suppose not all of us can live on South Island, but Royston Vasey, UK is a second best. We even have a true toad lover like there is one on this forum. But let's not get too nationalistic.
I am happy for you that at least you can write perfect English. That will keep the standard high. :wink:
Some of us, our lot, came from Scotland... so there... !!! :D
One lot bought their ship and sailed out, mothers side of the family. Father crewed a motor vessel and took much longer on the voyage - just to go completely off the thread.

So part of the question, Modern or Tradition panel?
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

Back to Traditional or Modern. Traditional is thinner and each item opened, being worked on i.e. documents, etc. has a separate icon on the panel. With modern all the documents are heaped on top of each other.
Allright i have that Traditional on a 20 system(how to get rid of it)! So i understand what you mean.
Funny that the 'Modern' version is on my 192. Actually they are not shown vertical/ heaped but horizontal. As thumbs of course.
At the moment when i put the cursor on the icon nothing shows up. ( or should i say heaps up? :wink: ) and there is nothing shown on the right side of the panel eiiher.
when i click on the Nemo icon only the latest folder shows. If i want to see the other i have to use Alt Tab.

Turn on/ Off Task Bar Thumbnail Previews is default ON. Can't see why it should change itself. Even if i want to change it manual, not possible, it is locked.
Hope this explains my issue
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Pepper-Mint-Patty wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:47 am Allright i have that Traditional on a 20 system(how to get rid of it)
You can switch it in the First Steps section of the Welcome screen.
Alternatively, you can swap the current Windows List applet for a different one.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Pepper-Mint-Patty wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:47 amAlright i have that Traditional on a 20 system (how to get rid of it)! So i understand what you mean.
Funny that the 'Modern' version is on my 192.
The picture of the Panel shown is the Modern as some of the icons have numbers on them. With Traditional this doesn't happen. You get a row of icons relating to the open items, to the right of the "how to switch on" icons.

Moen explains how to change from one to the other - Preferences > Welcome Screen > First Steps, and in there > Panel Layout, Traditional and Modern
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

Code: Select all

Preferences > Welcome Screen > First Steps, and in there > Panel Layout, Traditional and Modern
Fine, this solves the other issue that i have, but not the one mentioned in this topic. :)
Unfortunately the original issue is still there: the' modern' panel freezes after some time. Probably due to long hours including 'suspend' time. Any solution there, except reboot?
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

Unfortunately i have to report the issue also sometimes happens after 30 minutes without suspend time...
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

thanks Moem Having the same issue again i checked my topics ,somehow i've overseen youre answer.
19.2 Cinn, Nemo

Return to “Beginner Questions”