[SOLVED] Firefox start page randomly changing to linuxmint.com

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stopitnow43111
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Firefox start page randomly changing to linuxmint.com

Post by stopitnow43111 »

Hello,
I've encountered a somewhat random problem of the firefox start page randomly changing to linuxmint.com. This has happened to me twice now and I did not change any of the settings, except to change it back to the firefox start page. Any help to stop this happening would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Firefox start page randomly changing to linuxmint.com

Post by kato181 »

Go to edit-->settings-->home and set it to whatever website you want. Mine is google.com.au. There are other settings you can adjust as to untick the Recent Activity box. You can also clear the history and see if the problem appears again.The recent version of firefox is V93.0
stopitnow43111
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stopitnow43111 »

kato181 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:02 am Go to edit-->settings-->home and set it to whatever website you want. Mine is google.com.au. There are other settings you can adjust as to untick the Recent Activity box. You can also clear the history and see if the problem appears again.The recent version of firefox is V93.0
Yeah I have it set to firefox home page. The problem is it changes to linuxmint.com without me touching anything in the settings.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

I believe that the Firefox that comes with the Mint installation is a special 'Mint' version.
Hence the Mint Homepage.

If you want standard Firefox then I think that you have to download the firefox-93.0.tar.bz2 from Firefox, delete the original install & run the new one.
stopitnow43111
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stopitnow43111 »

RIH wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:45 am I believe that the Firefox that comes with the Mint installation is a special 'Mint' version.
Hence the Mint Homepage.

If you want standard Firefox then I think that you have to download the firefox-93.0.tar.bz2 from Firefox, delete the original install & run the new one.
Thanks for the answer, ill be sure to do that.

Return to “Beginner Questions”