(SOLVED)- Annoying ACPI ERRORS

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JohhB2002
Level 2
Level 2

(SOLVED)- Annoying ACPI ERRORS

Post by JohhB2002 »

This might be an easy question for most of you but being kind of new to LinuxMint, I am not sure what it means.
Update Manager says that I am using Kernel 5.13.0-22, Supported till Aug.2022 and that Kernel 5.4.0-91 is installed and supported till 2025.
Which one is the most current? The one supported till 2025 or the one till 2022?

If my using 5.13.2-22 is right, can I remove 5.4.0-91 although it is installed???

The reason to try various kernel is that i get all kind of ACPI errors went i boot up. It does not affect anything... at least that i know of. And I am trying to get rid of those errors. So far, nothing has worked.. Could be that I have to upgrade to BIOS.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 7 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Kernel - Using vs Installed

Post by pdc_2 »

I would suggest if 5.13 is working; leave it alone; by Aug 2022, Ubuntu will be offering a more recent kernel; so you can move across and up then; or go back to 5.4

one would say 5.4 was the starting offering for Mint 20; those with newer hardware have changed up to 5.11 and 5.13 and most seem to report hardware issues fixed;

these Mint kernels come from Ubuntu; who we would surely say test them well
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Kernel - Using vs Installed

Post by Schultz »

The 5.4 kernel series is an LTS kernel (long term support), which is why it is supported "long" after the 5.13 kernel goes end of life.

The 5.13 kernel series is an HWE kernel. These are short term kernels. They are generally used for computers with newer hardware which may not work well with the older LTS kernel.

When (or just before) the 5.13 kernel goes end of life, a newer 5.x (higher than 13) kernel series will come out, either LTS or HWE, depending on where the sequence of LTS vs. HWE kernels is at.

If your computer runs well with the 5.13 series, I'd stick with that. When it goes end of life, you can then either switch to the newer series, or go back to the LTS 5.4 kernel.

To answer your question, I would not remove the 5.4 kernel as you don't know whether the next kernel series after 5.13 will work well with your system, which would necessitate using the 5.4 kernel.
JohhB2002
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Kernel - Using/active vs Installed version

Post by JohhB2002 »

I guess my question has been answered... I will leave things as they are. But just so i know, Update manager wont allow me to change back to 5.4 If I wanted to go back to 5.4, How would I manage???
I google that situation and there is a post that mentioned that I would have to reboot, hold down the shift key, then choose the advanced settings options and that would give me the option to change it. Is that right or is there a better way?
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

You would have to boot into the system with the 5.4 kernel (with the advanced settings as you researched), as you cannot delete a kernel that you are currently booted into. The system default is to boot into the newest kernel, so you would have to bypass that to get into the 5.4 kernel, then you can delete the 5.13 kernel.

I take it that when you boot, you don't get the grub screen with all the options, that you computer just boots straight up?
JohhB2002
Level 2
Level 2

(SOLVED)Re: Kernel - Using/active vs Installed version

Post by JohhB2002 »

Thank you for helping...
acerimusdux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by acerimusdux »

This has probably mostly been answered already. But, just to add on a bit:

1. The kernel versions are not decimal numbers, so 5.13 is in fact more recent than 5.4. That is to say, 5.4 and 5.40 are very different things. Unlike in say, math. This always bothers me for some reason. I guess I wish everything were like math.

2. As mentioned, some kernels will be designated for "long term support", and by default the Mint installer will install one of those and then only supply updates to the same series (meaning mainly bug fixes and security updates). So some newer kernels will have a shorter support period.

3. If you look in the update manager, choose "Edit" and then "Preferences" from the menu, you will see a tab for "Automation". At the bottom is an option you can check that will automatically remove older kernels after new ones have been installed. As a precaution, it will always leave one older kernel installed, just in case there is a problem with a new one, so you will still be able to boot your system.

4. The kernel is essential, nothing else can run in Linux if it isn't running. So there is always one running. The boot menu when you turn the computer on though will allow you to choose, between installed kernels, which one to run.

5. Depending on how your boot is configured, there are lots of messages that could flash on the screen when booting. Often these messages are suppressed from being shown on the screen during boot, but are still logged in a log file. If you want to see if any of them were errors that might be important, you can check the logs using the terminal command "journalctl". Now if you run it like that, without any options, it will give you everything, tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of lines of logs. So we should probably narrow things down a little (if you did run it, hitting the q key will quit the pager so you don't have to read them all).

So if we add the "-b" option (or -b 0), that will tell it to look only at the latest boot. For the only the previous boot, you could do "-b -1", etc. And if we add the "-k" option, that will tell it to look only at kernel logs. Finally, to make this really useful, we'll add one more option, "-p " to limit things by "priority". So now we have:

Code: Select all

journalctl -b -k -p 3 
If your ACPI messages don't show up then, they have a priority higher than 3, and I wouldn't worry about them (you may see them again with -p 4 or -p 5). Now anything that does show up at -p 3 may still turn out to be not important, or messages everyone is getting at the moment, but anything with priority of 3 or lower could at least be worth investigating.
JohhB2002
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JohhB2002 »

acerimusdux - Thank-you for this lenghty reply... I made notes of all your comments.. Thanks again...
PringleBeagle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PringleBeagle »

JohhB2002 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:34 pm I guess my question has been answered... I will leave things as they are. But just so i know, Update manager wont allow me to change back to 5.4 If I wanted to go back to 5.4, How would I manage???
I google that situation and there is a post that mentioned that I would have to reboot, hold down the shift key, then choose the advanced settings options and that would give me the option to change it. Is that right or is there a better way?
This might not be the same for your situation, but holding down shift at boot doesn't do anything for me. Holding down left Cntrl key + Alt + Delete (before the login screen) gets me to the grub screen instead.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Re: (SOLVED) Kernel - Using/active vs Installed version

Post by Schultz »

You can also edit the grub file to get the grub screen to show at bootup.
JohhB2002
Level 2
Level 2

Re: (SOLVED) Kernel - Using/active vs Installed version

Post by JohhB2002 »

acerimusdux - OK.. time to tackle this ACPI error messages again.... I have re-read your lengthly reply and i sure could use some assistance....
I have tun the 'journalctl -b -h -p 3' command and i get 21 lines of the same error. With number 2, they are no longer there. Those errors are: ACPI Error: ae_not_found, While resolving a named reference package element - LNKC (20210331/dspkginit -438) In the LNKC, the C could be A, B, C, or D.
I am not sure how serious it is and would not know how to investigate this. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I also get 1 line like this: __common_interrupt: 1.55 No irq handler for vector

All those errors, appears on the screen when I boot up for about 3 seconds or so and then disappeared.

I don't know how serious these are but they are surely annoying..

There is also one more problem and don't know if all those have anything to do with it or not.. I have only a 250Gig Hard drive installed and Linux wrongly reports that I have a 1Terrabyte Hard drive... ??????????

I hope someone can help.. 8) 8)
acerimusdux
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Kernel - Annoying ACPI ERRORS

Post by acerimusdux »

The LNKA, LNKB, LNKC stuff is likely a firmware issue with the motherboard. There are some Gigabyte motherboards in particular that always gave off this error. So it may be safe to ignore. But best to check the details of your own system, there may be something which can fix it.

I would suggest, either go to System Settings, under Hardware, select System Info, and then click on the "upload" option there, which will give a termbin link you can post to share your system details.

Alternatively, you can get the same info by running the terminal command:

Code: Select all

inxi  -Fxxxrz
JohhB2002
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JohhB2002 »

I hope this will tell you something. :) First thing I notice is that the HD is wrongly shown as 1002,4 GB...
https://termbin.com/yx7z

P.S.: Can we Paste from the clipboard here???? If so, can you tell me how???
acerimusdux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by acerimusdux »

Well, it does seem here there were several bios updates. And your version (1501) was a beta. Seeing as the last one was also a beta, I would maybe try the last stable one (2302). The FAQ says you don't need to apply all updates, just download the one you want to install.

And if you want to paste from the clipboard, just select copy from the clipboard, then right click and select paste in the text box. Then, put code tags around it by highlighting it all and using the button with </> on it. Or, I guess hit the button first and then paste between the tags. Either way, this will make it easier to read and won't take up as much space.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Just don't nuke your system by trying to get rid of what's, after all, most likely to be only a purely cosmetic issue. Without any practical relevance. :wink:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Aztaroth »

JohhB2002 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:01 pm If my using 5.13.2-22 is right, can I remove 5.4.0-91 although it is installed???
You really should consider doing the opposite. Your CPU is an old AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+, your Mobo's initial BIOS is from 10/26/2007 and a new kernel is not optimized for such an old CPU but for new ones (Ryzen, i7-10th Gen, i9...). Even the choice of LM20 could be debatable on such hardware (has however 8Gb, good point).
It seems Linux Mint being very resilient in your case, so I would really consider Pjotr's advice and leave everything as it is if you've no 3 and lesser errors as acerimusdux also put it out.
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)
JohhB2002
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JohhB2002 »

OOKKK..... Seem like there is a concensus that since it is cosmetic, to leave things as they are..
I will therefore dot that...........until I get a more recent system... In the meantime, all is good
Thank you all for your replies...
P.S.: I am new to LINUX and learning a lot on this forum... Thanks to all.. :)
DJ55
Level 3
Level 3

Re: (SOLVED)- Annoying ACPI ERRORS

Post by DJ55 »

OP, just to add that if you want to hide those ACPI error messages you're seing when booting then you can do the grub edits listed in viewtopic.php?p=1950944#p1950944. Worked for me.
-Dave
LM 21.1 Cinnamon on Dell XPS-15 9570
JohhB2002
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JohhB2002 »

DJ55--- I did what you mentioned and it also worked for me.. I know that it did not correct the errors but only hid them but this is fine for me... :) Thanks.

Now I have only ONE line of error showing at boot time..
__common_interrupt: 1.55 No irq handler for vector
If anybody have ideas on this one........... let me know. :)
DJ55
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DJ55 »

JohhB2002 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:46 am Now I have only ONE line of error showing at boot time..
__common_interrupt: 1.55 No irq handler for vector
If anybody have ideas on this one........... let me know. :)
The "fix" for most users has been a bios update. Others have found that disabling IOMMU in their EFI/BIOS works (if not doing virtualization), while others have had problems with doing that. Nothing "needs" to be done if your system is booting and running properly (although I must admit I don't like to see spurious error messages either).
-Dave
LM 21.1 Cinnamon on Dell XPS-15 9570

Return to “Beginner Questions”