Nemo open terminal here - what is it mean't to do ?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
dunnie
Level 1
Level 1

Nemo open terminal here - what is it mean't to do ?

Post by dunnie »

Hi, recently came back to linux mint after a long break and installed the latest version of linux mint on an old laptop (lenovo T410) Xfce version using default nemo file manager.

On previous versions of linux when i used open terminal here option it would do what it says, and open a terminal session under the current selected folder, but on linux mint 20.3 Xfce it seems to do nothing.. logged in as a normal user not as root. selecting the menu option does nothing,.. I am guessing there is a configuration issue somewhere, but note that this is a fresh install.

Could someone help ?

Thanks.
dunnie
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Nemo open terminal here - what is it mean't to do ?

Post by dunnie »

no worries - fixed it myself by installing gnome-terminal, so now when i click on open terminal here it on nemo it does what i expect and opens a terminal..
Moem
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Moem »

dunnie wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:25 am
Xfce version using default nemo file manager.
Nemo is not the default file manager for XFCE. Maybe that was causing the problem?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
vimes666
Level 5
Level 5

Post by vimes666 »

Nemo is not the default file manager for XFCE. Maybe that was causing the problem?
Looks like it. I have the same issue with nemo in mate, not that it matters because I use caja.
If you think the issue is solved, edit your original post and add the word solved to the title.
Koentje
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Koentje »

That's because nemo will standard search for gnome-terminal. If you have another terminal you use, then you can make a new 'action' for nemo that pops up in the menu.
I, for example, use guake terminal. So i like to open things in guake!

If you want a custom terminal opener in you menu, put this file in /home/<yourusername>/.local/share/nemo/actions folder:

"open-in-terminal.nemo_action"

Code: Select all

[Nemo Action]
Name=Open in Guake
Comment=Open folder in Guake
Exec=guake -n "%F" --show
Icon-Name=guake
Selection=s
Extensions=dir;
Quote=double
EscapeSpaces=true
Change Name, Comment and Exec for which terminal you use. Now, if you rightclick on a folder you get an extra menu option. Have fun customizing your menu! ;)
Schermafdruk van 2022-01-13 12-59-55.png
Hoser Rob
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Hoser Rob »

"Open In Terminal" isn't necessarily meant to give you root access, that's be a different command "Open As Root", which some DEs have OOTB and others don't. Not a Cinnamon user so I don't know about Nemo.

Open in terminal can be pretty useful, I use it pretty often. Say I want to convert 24-96 audio files to 16-48 with sox, which is CLI. I just open the folder with the files and use a bash loop to batch convert. Done this many times.
Effellerre
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Effellerre »

I can confirm that Nemo (in Cinnamon) has the 'Open as Root' option...
Linux Mint 20.3 "Una" with Cinnamon - Kernel : 5.4.0-94
Laptop : Lenovo Thinkpad "T430"
Intel i5-3320m - 16 Go DDR3 1600mhz
SSD Samsung 870 EVO 250 GO + SSD Samsung 870 QVO 1TB + SSD MSATA 128 GO
GPU : Intel HD 4000
Koentje
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Koentje »

Effellerre wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:16 am
I can confirm that Nemo (in Cinnamon) has the 'Open as Root' option...
That's correct, but it opens Nemo as root, not a terminal as root..
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

dunnie wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:35 am
no worries - fixed it myself by installing gnome-terminal, so now when i click on open terminal here it on nemo it does what i expect and opens a terminal..
Nemo is looking for a dconf key for the Cinnamon Desktop default terminal which gets set to 'gnome-terminal' when you install nemo. If you are not using Cinnamon you can't change it via your Desktop environments regular settings GUI. But you can change it via dconf/gsettings in the command line or dconf-editor.

So if you use nemo outside of cinnamon and want Open in terminal to use your desktop native terminal or an alternative run

dconf write /org/cinnamon/desktop/applications/terminal/exec '"<terminal-command>'" with <terminal-command> replaced with the command to launch your preferred terminal - e.g. for XFCE terminal it would be

Code: Select all

dconf write /org/cinnamon/desktop/applications/terminal/exec "'xfce4-terminal'"
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.