(Solved) Where is Mint installed when pointed to P7 partition?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pvtattngen
Level 1
Level 1

(Solved) Where is Mint installed when pointed to P7 partition?

Post by pvtattngen »

NOW I have Mint 20. something after 6 TRIES, from 6 different USB live installs!

And...
I pointed Mint to install Boot to a certain partition on the".........P5" partition,
and Mint was really pointed to the " .......... .... P7," partition which show "EMPTY" in the screenshot!

And I'm using MINT now, but don't have Any CLUE where Mint was Installed according to Gparted, which I did install gparted because it was NOT in the Mint OS download !......
and it was NOT Showing in ANY partition,

So where in my new Mint version's OS on which partition?

No biggy just... surprised! but I'd LOVE to know.... where Mint installed ITSELF?

Take care and stay safe!
Attachments
Mint-Install-pointed-to-P7-So-where-is-Mint-Installed.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Where is Mint installed when pointed to P7 partition?

Post by rene »

Your Mint system is on the 30G p4 partition; the bootloader on the oddly sized 2.5G p6 ESP and you have a 14G or so swap partition as p8 (latter is usually not used any more these days, electing for a swap file on the root filesystem instead -- but fine-ish).
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I wonder what had been done here:

6 different USB live installs, what does this mean?

A swap partition, which for sure did not get automatically created.

You are correct, that GParted does not get installed by default, but on the live system it is installed and working.
In the installed system you have by default a tool named disk, where you must not enter a password for only showing the partitions and their specs.

Probably not important here, but why this mysterious "Mint 20.something"?
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Let us by the way also immediately note that you have Timeshift configured to snapshot to that 30G root filesystem, which is to say that unless you limit it to 1 or 2 snapshots and do little with your also with the root-filesystem shared home-directory you'll quickly end up as e.g. viewtopic.php?p=2169416#p2169416, i.e., out of disk-space and as such unable to login. It's best to for now disable Timeshift if you have just 30G available.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Notice also the two blocks of unallocated space, 99 GB and 19 GB, plus the already noticed 14 GB swap partition.

The drive has plenty of space. It's just being poorly used.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Certainly. And what with the oddly sized and placed 2.5G ESP as P6 I'd even say that drive is conceptually borked beyond a full reinstall-rescue (we aren't seeing P1 it seems which is fairly undoubtedly the original ESP...) but, hey, ...
pvtattngen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pvtattngen »

rene wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:08 pm Your Mint system is on the 30G p4 partition; the bootloader on the oddly sized 2.5G p6 ESP and you have a 14G or so swap partition as p8 (latter is usually not used any more these days, electing for a swap file on the root filesystem instead -- but fine-ish).
Thank you very much for that explanation! Really good!

I'm a hole lot late to get to see your KIND replay and exploitation of my malfunctioned partitions setup ...

Had to Reinstall the my muffed up MINT os into the actual partition that IT WAS supposed to go in, without destroying W10 Boot....

So I'm sorry, I didn't get back til today!

THANK you very much!
pvtattngen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pvtattngen »

pbear wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:42 pm Notice also the two blocks of unallocated space, 99 GB and 19 GB, plus the already noticed 14 GB swap partition.

The drive has plenty of space. It's just being poorly used.
Yes it is very poorly used.... and the 99GB was where I thought I pointed Mint, and I guess I really do need my glasses updated before I updated my Dual Boot... Really!

The 19GB space was supposed to BE... Fat32 so I could "share" files between W10, and Mint, even tho I only use W10 for kompozer WYSIWYG.... once a month, because I can't get Linux VBox font "LAGRE" enough to see to use that to run XP Pro or W7Pro, that once per month thing!

THANK you also for your kind replay!
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

pvtattngen wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:43 pm The 19GB space was supposed to BE... Fat32 so I could "share" files between W10
Use NTFS instead. It's a better file system, and also can be shared by both Windows and Linux.

Return to “Beginner Questions”