Screen mirroring via Ethernet (Linux Mint) [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
sameRick
Level 1
Level 1

Screen mirroring via Ethernet (Linux Mint) [SOLVED]

Post by sameRick »

Hey,
I would iike to mirror screen (not cast video or other file) from my PC (VM Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon) to a TV (Samsung UE48J5500) via ethernet. Is there any app which provides that funcionality? I know I could use hdmi, but for now it is not an option. At web all I can find is a wireless connection. Thank u all in advance.
Last edited by sameRick on Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Screen mirroring via Ethernet (Linux Mint)

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

subbed
Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, so, to ensure the safety of one's data, backup your data!

Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a computer

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit - System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
sameRick
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sameRick »

I am little bit confused now, dont know what u mean :roll:
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 11
Level 11

sameRick wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:56 pm
Posting the word "subbed" is just a way to bookmark this thread to make sure i don't miss any new posts.
Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, so, to ensure the safety of one's data, backup your data!

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit - System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
sjmathis
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sjmathis »

I know I could use hdmi, but for now it is not an option.
How come? HDMI is certainly the easy way to go. When I hung my Samsung TV on the wall and hid the wiring, I put an extra HDMI cable into the wiring so that I could display the screen of my laptop (running Mint 20.3). It's great to see a Zoom session magnified so that you can identify all of the people on the screen, and you get that just by changing the input source on the TV to the HDMI cable.

My laptop has an HDMI jack, if that's what you're missing, perhaps an adapter from USB to HDMI is what you need?
SMG
Level 23
Level 23

Post by SMG »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:13 pm
sameRick wrote:
Posting the word "subbed" is just a way to bookmark this thread to make sure i don't miss any new posts.
Please use the wrench icon in the lower left of the webpage. When you click on it, a drop-down appears and you have the option to subscribe to a topic (so you get notifications) and you have the option to Bookmark the topic. That way you will not be confusing people with irrelevant posts.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
SMG
Level 23
Level 23

Post by SMG »

sameRick wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:26 pm
I would iike to mirror screen (not cast video or other file) from my PC (VM Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon) to a TV (Samsung UE48J5500) via ethernet. Is there any app which provides that funcionality?
Is the TV running an operating system where you could install an app?

Linux Mint is an operating system. The graphics for it run on the computer. You can not attach a device for displaying graphics with Ethernet to your computer because Ethernet protocol does not transmit graphics.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 11
Level 11

SMG wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:22 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:13 pm
sameRick wrote:
Please use the wrench icon in the lower left of the webpage. When you click on it, a drop-down appears and you have the option to subscribe to a topic (so you get notifications) and you have the option to Bookmark the topic. That way you will not be confusing people with irrelevant posts.
Thanks!
Jeannie

sameRick
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sameRick »

SMG wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:29 pm
sameRick wrote:
I would iike to mirror screen (not cast video or other file) from my PC (VM Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon) to a TV (Samsung UE48J5500) via ethernet. Is there any app which provides that funcionality?
Is the TV running an operating system where you could install an app?

Linux Mint is an operating system. The graphics for it run on the computer. You can not attach a device for displaying graphics with Ethernet to your computer because Ethernet protocol does not transmit graphics.
And what kind of application?
Maybe the expression (screen mirroring) was not very good. I realise that ethernet does not transmit video, but it does transmit data and could the TV generate an image on the LCD? (Receive a data/electrical signal which changes the orientation of the liquid crystal molecules through an applied electrical field).

How is this different from WIFI or satellite broadcasting? (Apart from the type of signal and receiver, of course).
SMG
Level 23
Level 23

Post by SMG »

sameRick wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:55 pm
Maybe the expression (screen mirroring) was not very good.
It was exactly what you meant. There is nothing wrong with it.
sameRick wrote:
I realise that ethernet does not transmit video
If Ethernet does not transmit video (and you are correct that it does not), then how are you going to create an image on your TV with no video feed?
sameRick wrote:
but it does transmit data and could the TV generate an image on the LCD? (Receive a data/electrical signal which changes the orientation of the liquid crystal molecules through an applied electrical field).
Ethernet, WiFi, and Satellite have translators (computers) at BOTH ends. There is a computer which takes the data and translates it into something which can be sent across the Ethernet cable. At the other end of the cable there is another computer which takes that data and retranslates it into an image. What you are asking here is if you can get an image on your TV when it has no translator on it. The answer is no. You need an operating system in order to generate a graphics image.

Just like you can not pass your internet connection through your HDMI cable, you can not pass video feed through your Ethernet cable. They are not made the same.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 11
Level 11

Actually, you can extend HDMI over Ethernet, using adapters like these: https://www.monoprice.com/search/index? ... r+ethernet

You may be able to send TV programming from an antenna or cable box over Ethernet to a computer using a TV Tuner like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092GCN9NL?ta ... th=1&psc=1
Jeannie

sameRick
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sameRick »

SMG wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:44 pm
sameRick wrote:
Maybe the expression (screen mirroring) was not very good.
It was exactly what you meant. There is nothing wrong with it.
sameRick wrote:
I realise that ethernet does not transmit video
If Ethernet does not transmit video (and you are correct that it does not), then how are you going to create an image on your TV with no video feed?
sameRick wrote:
but it does transmit data and could the TV generate an image on the LCD? (Receive a data/electrical signal which changes the orientation of the liquid crystal molecules through an applied electrical field).
Ethernet, WiFi, and Satellite have translators (computers) at BOTH ends. There is a computer which takes the data and translates it into something which can be sent across the Ethernet cable. At the other end of the cable there is another computer which takes that data and retranslates it into an image. What you are asking here is if you can get an image on your TV when it has no translator on it. The answer is no. You need an operating system in order to generate a graphics image.

Just like you can not pass your internet connection through your HDMI cable, you can not pass video feed through your Ethernet cable. They are not made the same.
I know how the image is created in CRT TV, LCD etc. But I find it hard to agree with you. (Or I don't understand you). To give an example - we have WIFI - to which the TV is connected via a network card. The TV itself has circuitry that receives the radio signal, decodes it and feeds it into another circuit that converts it into the appropriate electrical field (I'm talking about LCD technology here) and creates an image. Why wouldn't this work very similarly with Ethernet technology? After all, when connecting via WIFI or just satellite, there is also no additional computer between the transmitter and the receiver. The TV itself generates the picture on the basis of the signal, which is not a video signal. There is no extra computer here either.
sameRick
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sameRick »

SMG wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:44 pm

And this is not true for 100%. Of course u can, but the technology is very rare.
SMG
Level 23
Level 23

Post by SMG »

You asked a specific question. You don't like the answer to the question. Sorry.

I don't understand at all what your Wifi example has to do with mirroring a computer's video signal using only an Ethernet cable to your TV--an ethernet cable which must be connected to the Ethernet card in your computer--the Ethernet card which was designed for data traffic and not video signals.

You are not the first person to ask this question. I recall a similar topic which I finally found: [SOLVED] Mirror Linux Mint desktop to LG SmartTV via CAT6 cable

Here is a slightly different one that might also help you understand your question: Screen Share to a TV
sameRick
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sameRick »

SMG wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:03 pm
You asked a specific question. You don't like the answer to the question. Sorry.

I don't understand at all what your Wifi example has to do with mirroring a computer's video signal using only an Ethernet cable to your TV--an ethernet cable which must be connected to the Ethernet card in your computer--the Ethernet card which was designed for data traffic and not video signals.

You are not the first person to ask this question. I recall a similar topic which I finally found: [SOLVED] Mirror Linux Mint desktop to LG SmartTV via CAT6 cable

Here is a slightly different one that might also help you understand your question: Screen Share to a TV
I mean... I wrote that the expression screen mirror may not be the best in this situation. And nowhere did I write that I wanted to send the video signal over an ethernet cable. I don't know how you assumed that. It's not that I don't like the answer - it's just that what you wrote is not true. But I will check the links provided. Thanks.

edit:
Unfortunately I don't have the time now to read these topics in detail, but as far as I can see one is about wireless communication and the other a colleague has chosen an adapter/long hdmi cable. These are not solutions that help me at the moment. Maybe someone else has some ideas? :/
And to be clear - I'm talking about copying content from the laptop screen to the TV screen (via ethernet cable). And as I wrote earlier, I don't necessarily mean video casting or video uploading in general.
zcot
Level 8
Level 8

Post by zcot »

It will mostly come down to what capability your TV provides.

But here are 2 specific easy to find options that might prove useful.

alfacast(view from TV using alfacast app, various android or apple based solution):
https://snapcraft.io/alfacast and a caveat on mint trying to use snap, at the end it shows how to easily enable it: https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedoc ... /snap.html

deskreen(viewing using web browser screen from TV):
https://deskreen.com/lang-en#features
sameRick
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sameRick »

Thank you very much dear sir!
I will definitely check out these solutions and let you know if they have been successfully implemented. 8)
Have a nice day/night
SMG
Level 23
Level 23

Post by SMG »

sameRick wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:20 pm
And nowhere did I write that I wanted to send the video signal over an ethernet cable.
This is what you wrote in your initial post:
sameRick wrote:
I would iike to mirror screen (not cast video or other file) from my PC (VM Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon) to a TV (Samsung UE48J5500) via ethernet.
When you mirror the screen, you are sending the video signal two directions. So you asked how to send the video signal through Ethernet. In fact, you just repeated that:
sameRick wrote:
And to be clear - I'm talking about copying content from the laptop screen to the TV screen (via ethernet cable).
That sounds like you are attaching the TV to the computer using an Ethernet cable. Even if you are attaching the TV to a router with the Ethernet cable, you still have an Ethernet cable connected to the computer from the router.
sameRick wrote:
And as I wrote earlier, I don't necessarily mean video casting or video uploading in general.
Yet now you are excited about checking out casting apps zcot suggested after saying you didn't mean casting? :? I will leave others to help you because my understanding of your criteria is apparently different than yours.
sameRick
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sameRick »

SMG wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:40 am
sameRick wrote:
And nowhere did I write that I wanted to send the video signal over an ethernet cable.
This is what you wrote in your initial post:
sameRick wrote:
I would iike to mirror screen (not cast video or other file) from my PC (VM Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon) to a TV (Samsung UE48J5500) via ethernet.
When you mirror the screen, you are sending the video signal two directions. So you asked how to send the video signal through Ethernet. In fact, you just repeated that:
sameRick wrote:
And to be clear - I'm talking about copying content from the laptop screen to the TV screen (via ethernet cable).
That sounds like you are attaching the TV to the computer using an Ethernet cable. Even if you are attaching the TV to a router with the Ethernet cable, you still have an Ethernet cable connected to the computer from the router.
sameRick wrote:
And as I wrote earlier, I don't necessarily mean video casting or video uploading in general.
Yet now you are excited about checking out casting apps zcot suggested after saying you didn't mean casting? :? I will leave others to help you because my understanding of your criteria is apparently different than yours.
I didn't mean to be unkind, but ok, you have no idea what you're writing about. Sending analogue/digital signals isn't magic (because I have a feeling that's how you see it), you can send a video signal over ethernet and vice versa. You don't have to take my word for it, check out the standards on wikipedia, (or preferably get a little humility and study the topic if you don't understand it) but I beg you not to write me back anymore, because I'm not going to answer you in this thread anyway. Besides, screen mirroring is not necessarily sending a video signal over any cable (I'm not going to explain that either - just look it up). And the predecessor's answer is ok, because it answers my question, whereas yours:

"Is the TV running an operating system where you could install an app?
Linux Mint is an operating system. The graphics for it run on the computer. You can not attach a device for displaying graphics with Ethernet to your computer because Ethernet protocol does not transmit graphics"

as well as subsequent ones was just extremely incorrect. I feel bad about having to explain such things. Regards.
sameRick
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sameRick »

zcot wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:21 pm
It will mostly come down to what capability your TV provides.

But here are 2 specific easy to find options that might prove useful.

alfacast(view from TV using alfacast app, various android or apple based solution):
https://snapcraft.io/alfacast and a caveat on mint trying to use snap, at the end it shows how to easily enable it: https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedoc ... /snap.html

deskreen(viewing using web browser screen from TV):
https://deskreen.com/lang-en#features
At the moment I am using deskreen. Thank you all for your help. I consider the topic closed.

Return to “Beginner Questions”