Newer Kernels Not Showing in Update Manager [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
JHolden
Level 1
Level 1

Newer Kernels Not Showing in Update Manager [SOLVED]

Post by JHolden »

I am very new to Linux, only just installing Mint yesterday. I haven't touched a desktop distro since probably like, 2006 when I was a kid and just thought it was neat. I am making the switch from Windows because I am trying to be more conscious of my data privacy and this is definitely the most drastic change I am making so far. Nothing has turned me away yet, but I was practically tearing my hair off my head last night because I can't get my graphics drivers working properly. It really is coming down to me just learning how to use the platform better, so I knew these kinds of things were gonna happen. After reading through the hardware section on the forum, I've come to the conclusion that the problem I'm having is that I'm not using a kernel that supports my graphics drivers, Nvidia RTX 3060. I knew using Nvidia was gonna cause me problems, but it was a laptop I've owned for over a year now. I'll definitely remember to get something with an AMD card next time, but the kernel version I'm running right now is 5.15-0.48 which does seem a bit weird to me. I'm using Linux Mint 21 and from what I understand, it should be supporting newer Kernels by default. It even says in the update manager this kernel will only receive support until 2017. I need a kernel that is 5.4 or newer from what I can see, but the only option I have in the update manager is 5.15. Is there a way to get the newer kernels to show up and add them? I haven't seen anyone else have this problem searching the forum, and everywhere I look asking how to update to 5.4 (or newer) just says to use the update manager, which isn't showing the newer kernels anyway. I did have some updates when I prompted a refresh of the update manager, but that didn't populate any more new kernels either.

[SOLVED]

So the TL;DR to this whole thing is that I ended up doing a fresh install of Linux Mint 21 with Secure boot disabled in the BIOS this time.

The kernel thing was obviously just me being dumb, I was reading it as a decimal value instead of a version number, and honestly I knew better than to do that. Linux Mint 21 supports 5.15, and it's not recommend to force an older kernel onto the system unless you have to.

As far as the Nvidia stuff goes, ultimately, when I disabled SecureBoot I got stuck on a screen while booting that would just say "x86/CPU: SGX Disabled by BIOS" and the system wouldn't accept any inputs. I did try booting an older version of the 5.15 kernel, but I couldn't get the recovery menu to open up by holding shift (or esc; this brought up a terminal instead). I was able to get the system to boot with SecureBoot disabled by disabling Hybrid graphics in the BIOS, but obviously the whole point is to get the Nvidia drivers to work and that would disable them.

Ultimately I did get the system to boot with Hybrid Graphics and SecureBoot disabled by using the live version off a USB and doing a fresh install. Mint does prompt you to take some extra steps if you have SecureBoot enabled, but these prompts actually don't come up if you have it disabled in the BIOS in the first place, so to be honest, I probably royally screwed something up on my first live boot by not understanding what the installer wanted me to do.

Ultimately, it looks like it's working now, I'll just need to actually test it tomorrow, but the Nvidia drivers no longer show as "N/A" on the system information. Thanks everyone for at least getting me looking in the right direction instead of continuing down this Kernel rabbit hole I was on. SMG was especially helpful.
Last edited by JHolden on Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SMG
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Newer Kernels Not Showing in Update Manager

Post by SMG »

JHolden wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:31 pm
I am very new to Linux, only just installing Mint yesterday.
Welcome to the forum, JHolden.

Please open the System Reports app and click the System Information tab on the left. Your computer's information should come up in the right pane. Then click Copy, and paste the results into a reply window here so we can see how Linux Mint views your hardware.

As I'm sure you are aware, 15 is a bigger number than 4. The bigger the number, the newer the kernel. That means the 5.15 kernel is newer than the 5.4 kernel. Both kernels are part of the 5 series (hence the 5 to the left of the .).

Nvidia drivers are proprietary drivers and are not included in the kernel, so while a newer kernel is sometimes needed to get the Nvidia GPU properly recognized, that is all the newer kernel would do.

When you provide your system information, we will be able to tell if the GPU is being recognized.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
all41
Level 18
Level 18

Post by all41 »

Everything is difficult before it gets easy.
JHolden
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JHolden »

SMG wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:38 pm
JHolden wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:31 pm
I am very new to Linux, only just installing Mint yesterday.
Welcome to the forum, JHolden.

Please open the System Reports app and click the System Information tab on the left. Your computer's information should come up in the right pane. Then click Copy, and paste the results into a reply window here so we can see how Linux Mint views your hardware.

As I'm sure you are aware, 15 is a bigger number than 4. The bigger the number, the newer the kernel. That means the 5.15 kernel is newer than the 5.4 kernel. Both kernels are part of the 5 series (hence the 5 to the left of the .).

Nvidia drivers are proprietary drivers and are not included in the kernel, so while a newer kernel is sometimes needed to get the Nvidia GPU properly recognized, that is all the newer kernel would do.

When you provide your system information, we will be able to tell if the GPU is being recognized.

You know what, I didn't even think about the fact it's 5.15. In my head that meant 5.1, but still, the driver issue is a problem. It shows up, but says Driver: N/A, which I know it isn't supposed to do. Here's the system information though.

Code: Select all

System:
  Kernel: 5.15.0-48-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 11.2.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 5.4.12
    tk: GTK 3.24.33 wm: Mutter dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 21 Vanessa base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: CyberPowerPC product: TRACER IV EDGE I15E v: Standard
    serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: CyberPowerPC model: TRACER IV EDGE I15E v: Standard serial: <superuser required>
    UEFI: American Megatrends v: N.1.06STD00 date: 01/29/2021
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 62.3 Wh (100.0%) condition: 62.3/62.3 Wh (100.0%) volts: 16.8 min: 15.2
    model: standard serial: <filter> status: Full
CPU:
  Info: 6-core model: Intel Core i7-10750H bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Comet Lake rev: 2 cache:
    L1: 384 KiB L2: 1.5 MiB L3: 12 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 4583 high: 4691 min/max: 800/5000 cores: 1: 4468 2: 4690 3: 4691 4: 4603
    5: 4607 6: 4396 7: 4678 8: 4529 9: 4517 10: 4656 11: 4577 12: 4584 bogomips: 62399
  Flags: avx avx2 ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel CometLake-H GT2 [UHD Graphics] vendor: Tongfang Hongkong driver: i915 v: kernel
    ports: active: eDP-1 empty: none bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:9bc4
  Device-2: NVIDIA GA106M [GeForce RTX 3060 Mobile / Max-Q] vendor: Tongfang Hongkong
    driver: N/A pcie: speed: 8 GT/s lanes: 16 bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:2520
  Device-3: Chicony HD Webcam type: USB driver: uvcvideo bus-ID: 1-13:4 chip-ID: 04f2:b68b
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.3 driver: X: loaded: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa
    gpu: i915 display-ID: :0 screens: 1
  Screen-1: 0 s-res: 2560x1440 s-dpi: 96
  Monitor-1: eDP-1 model: BOE Display res: 2560x1440 dpi: 189 diag: 395mm (15.5")
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel UHD Graphics (CML GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 22.0.5 direct render: Yes
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Comet Lake PCH cAVS vendor: Tongfang Hongkong driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
    bus-ID: 00:1f.3 chip-ID: 8086:06c8
  Device-2: NVIDIA vendor: Tongfang Hongkong driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel pcie:
    speed: Unknown lanes: 63 bus-ID: 01:00.1 chip-ID: 10de:228e
  Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.15.0-48-generic running: yes
  Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 15.99.1 running: yes
  Sound Server-3: PipeWire v: 0.3.48 running: yes
Network:
  Device-1: Intel Comet Lake PCH CNVi WiFi driver: iwlwifi v: kernel bus-ID: 00:14.3
    chip-ID: 8086:06f0
  IF: wlo1 state: up mac: <filter>
  Device-2: Realtek RTL8125 2.5GbE vendor: Tongfang Hongkong driver: r8169 v: kernel pcie:
    speed: 5 GT/s lanes: 1 port: 3000 bus-ID: 04:00.0 chip-ID: 10ec:8125
  IF: enp4s0 state: down mac: <filter>
  IF-ID-1: surfshark_ipv6 state: unknown speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: <filter>
Bluetooth:
  Device-1: Intel AX201 Bluetooth type: USB driver: btusb v: 0.8 bus-ID: 1-14:5 chip-ID: 8087:0026
  Report: hciconfig ID: hci0 rfk-id: 0 state: up address: <filter> bt-v: 3.0 lmp-v: 5.2
    sub-v: 237e
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 1.36 TiB used: 222.77 GiB (15.9%)
  ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Samsung model: SSD 980 1TB size: 931.51 GiB speed: 31.6 Gb/s
    lanes: 4 serial: <filter> temp: 29.9 C
  ID-2: /dev/nvme1n1 vendor: Western Digital model: WDS500G2B0C-00PXH0 size: 465.76 GiB
    speed: 31.6 Gb/s lanes: 4 serial: <filter> temp: 33.9 C
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 456.89 GiB used: 111.38 GiB (24.4%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme1n1p2
  ID-2: /boot/efi size: 511 MiB used: 5.2 MiB (1.0%) fs: vfat dev: /dev/nvme1n1p1
Swap:
  ID-1: swap-1 type: file size: 2 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) priority: -2 file: /swapfile
USB:
  Hub-1: 1-0:1 info: Hi-speed hub with single TT ports: 16 rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s
    chip-ID: 1d6b:0002
  Device-1: 1-2:2 info: Realtek RTS5129 Card Reader Controller type: <vendor specific>
    driver: rtsx_usb,rtsx_usb_ms,rtsx_usb_sdmmc rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s chip-ID: 0bda:0129
  Device-2: 1-9:3 info: Logitech USB Receiver type: Mouse,Keyboard,HID
    driver: hid-generic,usbhid rev: 2.0 speed: 12 Mb/s chip-ID: 046d:c547
  Device-3: 1-13:4 info: Chicony HD Webcam type: Video driver: uvcvideo rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s
    chip-ID: 04f2:b68b
  Device-4: 1-14:5 info: Intel AX201 Bluetooth type: Bluetooth driver: btusb rev: 2.0
    speed: 12 Mb/s chip-ID: 8087:0026
  Hub-2: 2-0:1 info: Super-speed hub ports: 8 rev: 3.1 speed: 10 Gb/s chip-ID: 1d6b:0003
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 48.0 C pch: 42.0 C mobo: 48.0 C
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Repos:
  Packages: 2466 apt: 2448 flatpak: 18
  No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
    1: deb http: //packages.linuxmint.com vanessa main upstream import backport
    2: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy main restricted universe multiverse
    3: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-updates main restricted universe multiverse
    4: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-backports main restricted universe multiverse
    5: deb http: //security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jammy-security main restricted universe multiverse
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list
    1: deb http: //repository.spotify.com stable non-free
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/surfshark.list
    1: deb https: //ocean.surfshark.com/debian stretch main
Info:
  Processes: 344 Uptime: 44m Memory: 15.46 GiB used: 2.34 GiB (15.1%) Init: systemd v: 249
  runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 11.2.0 alt: 11 Client: Unknown python3.10 client inxi: 3.3.13
Last edited by SMG on Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added code tags to inxi output to preserve its formatting.
SMG
Level 23
Level 23

Post by SMG »

JHolden wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:41 pm
You know what, I didn't even think about the fact it's 5.15. In my head that meant 5.1
It's a very common interpretation. The kernel naming system is a naming system, but a lot of people think it is decimal math.

With regards to your driver, your laptop has dual-graphics. It has both Intel and Nvidia. That is something important to remember. On a default install, usually, the Intel graphics are the primary renderer and the Nvidia driver is not used to prolong battery life. It is normal for the Nvidia driver to be N/A in that case.

Graphics:
Device-1: Intel CometLake-H GT2 [UHD Graphics] vendor: Tongfang Hongkong driver: i915 v: kernel
Device-2: NVIDIA GA106M [GeForce RTX 3060 Mobile / Max-Q] vendor: Tongfang Hongkong
Device-3: Chicony HD Webcam type: USB driver: uvcvideo bus-ID: 1-13:4 chip-ID: 04f2:b68b
Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.3 driver: X: loaded: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel UHD Graphics (CML GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 22.0.5 direct render: Yes

To use the Nvidia driver, the proprietary Nvidia driver must be both installed and loaded AND you must change the setting on the nvidia-prime-applet to be either On-Demand mode (the mode most people use) or Nvidia mode (if your laptop is wired for that capability).

You can install the Nvidia driver using Driver Manager. As long as you either have secure boot disabled or you create keys so the Nvidia driver is trusted, then after you install the Nvidia driver it will load on the next boot cycle. Please check this post for an explanation of the difference between the Nvidia driver files being installed and them loading at boot time.

You can check if your computer has secure boot enabled by running the following in a terminal

mokutil --sb-state
You would then want to change the mode of the nvidia-prime-applet to On-demand and reboot. The Nvidia-prime-applet is explained under the NVIDIA Optimus section in the Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon: New Features. In the graphic in that section the applet is the Intel icon. (It can be either an Intel or Nvidia icon.)
JHolden
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JHolden »

SMG wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:56 pm
JHolden wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:41 pm
You know what, I didn't even think about the fact it's 5.15. In my head that meant 5.1
It's a very common interpretation. The kernel naming system is a naming system, but a lot of people think it is decimal math.

With regards to your driver, your laptop has dual-graphics. It has both Intel and Nvidia. That is something important to remember. On a default install, usually, the Intel graphics are the primary renderer and the Nvidia driver is not used to prolong battery life. It is normal for the Nvidia driver to be N/A in that case.

Graphics:

To use the Nvidia driver, the proprietary Nvidia driver must be both installed and loaded AND you must change the setting on the nvidia-prime-applet to be either On-Demand mode (the mode most people use) or Nvidia mode (if your laptop is wired for that capability).

You can install the Nvidia driver using Driver Manager. As long as you either have secure boot disabled or you create keys so the Nvidia driver is trusted, then after you install the Nvidia driver it will load on the next boot cycle. Please check this post for an explanation of the difference between the Nvidia driver files being installed and them loading at boot time.

You can check if your computer has secure boot enabled by running the following in a terminal

mokutil --sb-state
You would then want to change the mode of the nvidia-prime-applet to On-demand and reboot. The Nvidia-prime-applet is explained under the NVIDIA Optimus section in the Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon: New Features. In the graphic in that section the applet is the Intel icon. (It can be either an Intel or Nvidia icon.)
Okay, so I have made some progress now, but I have run into a new problem related to this. Once I realized the kernel version wasn't the problem I went back to the hardware troubleshooting area of the forum and basically found all this out on my own anyway, but I appreciate the help, because the problem did end up being that I had SecureBoot enabled in my BIOS. Once I disabled SecureBoot in my BIOS though, I ended up getting an error and the system would not boot to the desktop.

It said x86/CPU: SGX disabled by BIOS

It doesn't matter if I boot in on demand, performance or even in power saving mode with only the intel graphics either, nothing would show up, or I get that message. I did get the system to boot with SecureBoot disabled by toggling a setting in my BIOS to boot with iGPU Only instead of MsHybrid, but this caused the Nvidia graphics to be completely disabled, not showing at all in my system information anymore. Looking into this further, I've found that SGX is a setting that can be toggled on or off in some BIOS's, but not mine. Other people have had this problem before, and I'm looking around for a solution right now, but if anyone knows an obvious/easy way to fix this I'd really appreciate it.
SMG
Level 23
Level 23

Post by SMG »

JHolden wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:34 pm
I am not aware of that message (it is not an error) stopping a computer from booting.

SGX being disabled in the BIOS is a very common setting. It's not something you would change.
JHolden wrote:
I did get the system to boot with SecureBoot disabled by toggling a setting in my BIOS to boot with iGPU Only instead of MsHybrid, but this caused the Nvidia graphics to be completely disabled, not showing at all in my system information anymore.
That's the way that setting is supposed to work.

If you have not looked up Tongfang or CyberPowerPC yet, I suggest searching the forum for those terms to see if there might be a reason your computer is not booting in Hybrid mode.

I am heading to bed, but will check back tomorrow.
JHolden
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Newer Kernels Not Showing in Update Manager [SOLVED]

Post by JHolden »

SMG wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:55 pm
JHolden wrote:
I am not aware of that message (it is not an error) stopping a computer from booting.

SGX being disabled in the BIOS is a very common setting. It's not something you would change.
JHolden wrote:
I did get the system to boot with SecureBoot disabled by toggling a setting in my BIOS to boot with iGPU Only instead of MsHybrid, but this caused the Nvidia graphics to be completely disabled, not showing at all in my system information anymore.
That's the way that setting is supposed to work.

If you have not looked up Tongfang or CyberPowerPC yet, I suggest searching the forum for those terms to see if there might be a reason your computer is not booting in Hybrid mode.

I am heading to bed, but will check back tomorrow.
I ended up figuring it all out and updated the original post with a solution for the future. I did email CyberPowerPC to see if there was maybe an updated BIOS I could flash, but I probably just messed up something by having SecureBoot enabled when I did my first install. They told me they didn't have a new BIOS anyway. Regardless thanks for the help, if I didn't come to the forum I would probably be knees deep in some GRUB menu trying to force Mint 21 to run a kernel it doesn't support.
SMG
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Newer Kernels Not Showing in Update Manager [SOLVED]

Post by SMG »

JHolden wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:22 pm
but I probably just messed up something by having SecureBoot enabled when I did my first install.
Linux Mint can handle both secure boot being enabled or disabled. The issue with secure boot (especially with regards to third-party drivers such as Nvidia) is that there is no standard way how manufacturers set up their firmware to define the necessary keys. Some force users to enroll keys with prompts which makes it much easier for the user, but many either do not do that or they have screen prompts which are confusing if one is not familiar with them. There are even differences between different computer models from the same manufacturer.

Glad you were finally able to get it working.

Return to “Beginner Questions”