[SOLVED] I need to install Balena Etcher, I can't find it in apt. Bad idea to download directly from site?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
magnetor1000
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] I need to install Balena Etcher, I can't find it in apt. Bad idea to download directly from site?

Post by magnetor1000 »

I recall reading somewhere that downloading an executable from the internet (instead of the software manager and/or in apt) to run on my Linux machine is a bad idea, security-wise. Is this true?

I really need this program, and they have a Linux version: https://www.balena.io/etcher/

Are there any risks from downloading it from their site, and are there any risks in general with this practice?
Last edited by magnetor1000 on Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Re: I need to install Balena Etcher, I can't find it in apt. Bad idea to download directly from site?

Post by cliffcoggin »

Why not use the USB Image Writer that is already installed with Linux Mint?
Cliff Coggin
Olaf2020

Re: I need to install Balena Etcher, I can't find it in apt. Bad idea to download directly from site?

Post by Olaf2020 »

what do you need it for? if you have to write iso, in mint there is its mintstick tool in Menu / accessories
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

magnetor1000 wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:14 pm
I recall reading somewhere that downloading an executable from the internet (instead of the software manager and/or in apt) to run on my Linux machine is a bad idea, security-wise. Is this true?
In general, yes, it can be.
In this case, it's a site and a program that many users here have downloaded and installed and I don't think anyone has ever had any bad experiences, security-wise.
magnetor1000 wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:14 pm
Are there any risks from downloading it from their site, and are there any risks in general with this practice?
Because this is a known source and a known piece of software, I would not worry about this particular case.
But in general, yes, you should be cautious. Do a forum search first, or ask like you are doing now.

It's also very valid to ask whether you really need Balena Etcher, and why. There are a lot of other options, including some that are pre-installed on your Mint.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
karlchen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by karlchen »

Come on folks. Wishing to install Balena Etcher is a legitimate wish, no matter which software comes pre-installed.
Already forgot that Linux also is about the freedom to choose?
None of the first 2 replies addresses the question, which magnetor1000 asked. :(
Answer to the first part of the double question:
From my perspective downloading Balena Etcher from the genuine developer's site as an appimage should be all right.
As long as Balena Etcher can be trusted, the developer's site should be a trustworthy downloading source.

Answer to the second part of the double question:
Nothing in life is 100% safe. So there always remains a risk that a site, which is considered trustworthy as such, because their owners are considered trustworthy, might get hacked. In such a case a non-genuine modified Balena Etcher appimage file might be placed on the download page.
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

karlchen wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:29 pm
Come on folks. Wishing to install Balena Etcher is a legitimate wish, no matter which software comes pre-installed.
Very true, but Mint's image writer seems to be little known, so it's reasonable to point out its existence as an alternative which requires no additional download and hence no additional concern about safety.
Cliff Coggin
magnetor1000
Level 2
Level 2

Post by magnetor1000 »

Thank you everyone for the helpful answers! I appreciate them all and helping me become aware of all the possibilities that are at my disposal! :)

karlchen wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:29 pm
Already forgot that Linux also is about the freedom to choose?
Thank you karlchen. :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”