Linux Mint Wow!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cyberglyphxbox
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint Wow!

Post by cyberglyphxbox »

I have messed with Linux Mint for the past few years, but the latest release! Wow. I have a new PC and older PC that missed the mark for windows 11 barely. But I installed this and the features are amazing and I am seriously considering for the first time to replace my windows install. It looks amazing and all, the only question I have is does this new version handle multiple GPU's in my laptop? Nvidia anyway.
This version even has a nice backup utility built in. Anybody ever had to use it and is it easy?

Thank you Linux Mint for a spoken Hot Release.

Thanks
rickNS
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Linux Mint Wow!

Post by rickNS »

cyberglyphxbox wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:33 pm
the only question I have is does this new version handle multiple GPU's in my laptop? Nvidia anyway.
This version even has a nice backup utility built in. Anybody ever had to use it and is it easy?
Linux Mint has "handled" multiple GPUs for awhile now.
The built in "backup utility" is also not new in any way weather your talking about "Backup Tool" or "Timeshift" they both have been available since Mint 19. (at least)
Mint 19.0, 20.0, and 21 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
SMG
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SMG »

cyberglyphxbox wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:33 pm
It looks amazing and all, the only question I have is does this new version handle multiple GPU's in my laptop? Nvidia anyway.
If you have the proprietary Nvidia driver installed, then you have the option to use the nvidia-prime-applet to switch GPUs. Nvidia-prime-applet is explained under the NVIDIA Optimus section in the Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon: New Features. In the graphic in that section, the applet is the Intel icon. It can be either an Intel or Nvidia icon depending upon which mode you are using.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
cyberglyphxbox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cyberglyphxbox »

Yeah its been a while since I used Mint. I didn't know about the video card so I'll keep an eye out on drivers. I didn't know about timeshift. I'll prolly dual boot until I fully transition over to test everything. Any ideas to make sure it's done right? Thanks.
wwfwng
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wwfwng »

cyberglyphxbox wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:20 pm
Yeah its been a while since I used Mint. I didn't know about the video card so I'll keep an eye out on drivers. I didn't know about timeshift. I'll prolly dual boot until I fully transition over to test everything. Any ideas to make sure it's done right? Thanks.
Keep your data backed up in multiple places. Don't go fully Mint with both machines at the same time. Keep Windows around as a crutch until you are confident that you walk without it.
cyberglyphxbox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cyberglyphxbox »

Yeah will do! This is a laptop that honestly hasn't been turned on it almost 6 months so It's not getting used that much. But I will do the backup and it would be nice to use this PC more so it has winblows 10 on it now. Great Advice! Thanks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”