Is it recommended/safe to UPGRADE from Tricia 19.3 to Ulyana 20

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nermeenhm
Level 2
Level 2

Is it recommended/safe to UPGRADE from Tricia 19.3 to Ulyana 20

Post by nermeenhm »

Has anyone tried the upgrade tool and is it safe to try?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Is it recommended/safe to UPGRADE from Tricia 19.3 to Ulyana 20

Post by spamegg »

Major upgrades like 19->20, 20->21 can always have issues. For some users it goes perfectly fine; for others it can become a nightmare. This usually depends on how much stuff you installed manually. Sometimes after the upgrade finishes successfully, some stuff won't work properly.

The upgrade tool itself will tell you "this is a risk" and you'll have to agree "I understand the risks".

Personally I recommend a fresh install. Back up your data, and make a list of your installed applications and settings in a text file so you know how to re-install and re-apply them. You'll have to spend a few hours after the installation to set things back the way they were, but in exchange you'll get a fresh clean new installation with no issues.
nermeenhm
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Is it recommended/safe to UPGRADE from Tricia 19.3 to Ulyana 20

Post by nermeenhm »

Thanks a lot, I'll follow your advice.

Return to “Beginner Questions”