Re: Trouble booting, display manager issues.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Kerp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kerp »

When I try to boot into mint '"Not starting X display manager (slim); it is not the default display manager." gets displayed over and over again at which point I have to reboot.
I've checked /etc/X11/default-display-manager and it lists lightdm
I have absolutely no idea what to do next.
Last edited by Kerp on Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Trouble booting.

Post by remoulder »

Please see how to get help
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Kerp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kerp »

I had searched but I found nothing :oops:
Unless you meant more detail, in which case I'm using Mint 12 32 bit, on a laptop, it's dual booted with Windows 7 (which is what I'm using now)
I've also tried reconfiguring light dm using dpkg, which didn't help.
slim was once installed but has been removed for weeks.
I'm not sure what else I can add.

Kerp
Level 1
Level 1

A minor update.

Post by Kerp »

I have tried removing lightdm and installing slim, this resulted in a blank screen. I've tried uninstalling slim and installing lightdm this gave a blinking mouse pointer which was unresponsive, uninstalling both lets me access terminals with ctrl alt f1-17.
Could the problem be with x?

Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Check if you have any greeters installed - either lightdm-gtk-greeter or unity-greeter. LightDM doesn't depend on any of these packages, but it won't work without a greeter and won't tell you anything. See this post for more info on lightdm-gtk-greeter configuration.

Kerp wrote:"Not starting X display manager (slim); it is not the default display manager." gets displayed.
This is displayed by the display manager's startup script when it tries to start the DM but suddenly finds out that it's not the preferred one on your system. :)
Is slim really uninstalled? Check the /etc/init.d directory for any unwanted DM scripts:

Code: Select all

ls -l /etc/init.d | grep dm
Edit: oops, /etc/init.d/slim won't be caught by that, so check for it manually :)

edoiny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by edoiny »

Need to edit the next file:

/etc/X11/default-display-manager

and type:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/slim
remember only one entry in the file, if you have multiple entries with or without # SLiM no start.

finally reboot your system

Return to “Newbie Questions”