Solved - Problems with card reader

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wilbobob
Level 3
Level 3

Solved - Problems with card reader

Post by wilbobob »

I have Mint 11 running on a desktop and a laptop. I've been trying to download some photos from an SD card to the laptop with no luck so far. There is a built-in SD card reader on my Lenovo G575 and that appears to be lifeless (though I'm pretty certain it has worked in the past, before I removed Windows7 dual boot and left Mint only) . I also have an All-in-one card reader, recognised as a ChipsBnk reader that works fine on the desktop, but if I plug it into the laptop it is recognised as long as I don't put the SD card into it, the indicator light on the reader starts to flash then stops in a second or so. If I run usb-devices in terminal with no card in the reader the reader is listed, with the card in all reference to the usb port is missing. (Might this be a power issue? It's the same on mains or battery power).
Could you tell me how to get the inbuilt reader to work?
Do you have any clues as to what I can do with the card reader.
Bob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Go Steady, but keep going
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Problems with card reader

Post by remoulder »

What file system is on the SD card, can it be read elsewhere?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
wilbobob
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Problems with card reader

Post by wilbobob »

I'm making some progress, I've got the inbuilt card reader working following this thread, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1797202

The All-in-one I continue to work on. It will read a 4 jpg files on a 32MB SD card formatted FAT32. It starts to read a CF card, MSDOS format but packs up after downloading about 9 jpg files of about 2.5GB each. By packs up I mean the power to the reader is shut off. A 4GB CF card doesn't finish opening the folders before power is cut off. All the above work OK on my LM11 desktop. I'm wondering if I should consider a powered USB hub to see if that helps
wilbobob
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Solved - Problems with card reader

Post by wilbobob »

A usb Y cable seems to have sorted the problem. Not completely stable, but good enough to work with.

Return to “Beginner Questions”