Get graphical "choose your OS" screen in dual-booting pc

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Get graphical "choose your OS" screen in dual-booting pc

Post by pepperminty »

Hello,
We plan on installing Linux Mint on a completely non-techie's laptop. The laptop currently has Windows 7. We would like to keep Windows 7 untouched, but install Mint beside it.

We would like the person to be greeted with a very user-friendly and graphical OS-picker screen. See attached screenshot. Is this possible?
MyidealOS-chooserscreenfornon-techieperson.png

I wouldn't want the non-techie person to have to see what I see, which is the Grub menu with a bunch of technical choices:
sda1, Linux Mint loader v3.35.56
sda2, Linux Mint loader v3.34.58
sda3, Windows 7, bootsafe 35x3.exx
sda4, Windows 7, safemode 35.6.35393
sda6, Windows 7, recpart 3933
{i've just made up a bit of the text].
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Get graphical "choose your OS" screen in dual-booting pc

Post by pepperminty »

wayne128, thanks for your so-helpful post! never knew such a thing existed. how easy is it to install that on the brand-new linux mint?
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

This might help:

https://launchpad.net/grub-customizer

It can be used to cut down on the options and change the selection order.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 »

BURG might work on a BIOS-based computer. On a UEFI-based PC or an EFI-based Mac, you'd want rEFIt or its recent fork/update, rEFInd. Most PC manufacturers began switching from BIOS to UEFI in 2011, although there were some UEFI-based PCs well before then. Another twist is that most (AFAIK all) UEFI-based PCs actually support BIOS-style booting, so depending on how things are set up now, you might be using BIOS mode even on a PC that can handle UEFI. See this page to learn how to tell which boot mode you're using now.

Return to “Beginner Questions”