Undo updates

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ldp

Undo updates

Post by ldp » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Is there a simple mechanism to undo and rollback updates? From older posts it doesn't look promising.

Has there been any change in LM12?

Thanks

daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Undo updates

Post by daveinuk » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:23 pm

Had a search myself as the question got me thinking . . . . info is a bit sparse but I may be searching the wrong terms, what exactly are you wanting to 'roll back' for, you don't say?
I'm on 12 too, not had any incidents with updates myself so far and the last time I did it was on version 10 I think, generally if you get an odd glitch it's often sorted out over the next update or two.

Might be a couple of pointers for you in these links :

http://hartmansblog.blogspot.co.uk/2010 ... lucid.html
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=840071
http://forums.linuxmint.com/posting.php ... 0&t=100721

ldp

Post by ldp » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:26 pm

There isn't a problem but updates I accepted today included Firefox 12, and some addons aren't compatible, and it got me thinking whether there was a way to step back to the older version so I started to look. Being a Linux and Mint novice I wasn't sure I was looking in the right place.

daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:46 pm

Aaaaah i see, well if it's firefox addons that's just something you take on the chin now and again and change when needed, lost count of the times a much loved theme's gone 'off the list' and I've had to trawl for another . . . . :(

Not sure if you can 'roll' firefox back, maybe someone with a bit more indepth knowledge might chip in but I figure you could uninstall and reinstall an earlier version manually? (from mozilla?)
I wouldn't myself, your getting up to the minute security updates as well so for the sake of an odd addon I'd just change it if possible?

Usually popular addons get updated pretty quickly if there's demand, might just be worth hanging on a bit before going through a load of changes for the sake of it . . . . just a thought :)

truexfan81
Level 3
Level 3

Post by truexfan81 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:51 pm

ok making firefox addons work with a new version of firefox is easy.

1. go to the addon site, find the addon, instead of clicking the install button, right click on and click save link as

2. Open the .xpi file in your archive manager

3. Edit the install.rdf file
look for where it says:
<em:minVersion>1.5</em:minVersion>
<em:maxVersion>11.0.0.*</em:maxVersion>

i changed mine to say 20.0.0* makes it where i won't have to do it again for awhile

4. save the file, and add it back in to the archive

5. drag and drop the xpi file into the firefox window, let it install, then restart firefox

6. the addon is now working, enjoy

Return to “Newbie Questions”