Purchasing My First Laptop For Mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ChipButty
Level 1
Level 1

Purchasing My First Laptop For Mint

Post by ChipButty »

I am looking to buy a new laptop which I will install Mint on it as my main OS. I have been a Mac user for about 13 or 14 years and my only machine right now is a 2006 Macbook and I'm not prepared to buy a Macbook Pro now that the Macbook line has been discontinued. Coupled with that is a disenchantment with Apple in recent years and my decsison to go with Android instead of an iPhone. I have Mint on the laptop in a separate partition and it runs OK enough for me to know that I would be happy with it on a new machine. Although I've installed Linux on machines in the past to try them out I have never stuck with one for long but I really like Mint and I need a new computer.

I have seen a ]Toshiba on Best Buy http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+1 ... Id=4693106 that interests me but need to know how compatible this will be with Mint. The price is right and the specs look good, at least to me. My needs are basic but hope to use the machine for editing photos a lot. So I'm wondering if this would be a good purchase or if there are any other suggestions. Thanks.
Danko8321
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Purchasing My First Laptop For Mint

Post by Danko8321 »

Well, I'm not the most experienced Linux user but I know a bit about the hardware listed on the info specs. I myself have a 2nd gen Core i5 Lenovo with Intel HD graphics (Intel Core i5 540M) and have been just fine. However, I have heard of people having problems with Intel HD graphics, specially Under Ubuntu and Unity. I have run both of them flawlessly as well as pure Gnome 3, Cinnamon and Mate with all Compiz Effects on. It has worked flawlessly and I have even been able to play some FullHD clips in it (on an external monitor, of course since the Screen of my laptop only supports HD) without missing a single frame or going crazy on CPU usage. I have had a great experience with Intel HD graphics.

About the Intel Wireless, I have just one word: Amazing. The thing is super fast and super stable and I never had to install a single driver pack to have anything working. However, I have heard of people complaining so much that I would suggest you to wait a while and see if some not so lucky ones have the opportunity to coment and share their experiences.

The one thing that concerns me a bit is the price. My Lenovo has also an NVidia graphics card (NVida Optimus Legacy technology which allows me to have 2 different graphic cards in one laptop for better performance) and it costed just a bit less than that. I don't think that Toshiba should be so expensive but I have never had a Core i7 so, what do I know? I would suggest you to have a look arround; there are a few in this forum that have Core i7's and Toshiba laptops. I would personally ask them about their experience.

I hope I was of some help and cleared some doubts. Cheerio.

Danko.
Cheer up! Things are getting worse at a slower rate.
ChipButty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ChipButty »

Thanks for the info.

I emailed a friend of mine today about the Toshiba and he felt it was a good price. I had also looked at a System76 machine which comes with Ubuntu installed on it and he felt that was a better machine albeit possibly not worth the extra $150 for similar specs. He did however highly recommend that I look at a Lenovo T520. I took a quick look but they seemed pretty expensive when compared to the other two laptops I've been looking at but I guess with his recommendation and your satisfaction with the Lenovo then I should start to investigate them a little further.
Danko8321
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Danko8321 »

ChipButty wrote:Thanks for the info.

I emailed a friend of mine today about the Toshiba and he felt it was a good price. I had also looked at a System76 machine which comes with Ubuntu installed on it and he felt that was a better machine albeit possibly not worth the extra $150 for similar specs. He did however highly recommend that I look at a Lenovo T520. I took a quick look but they seemed pretty expensive when compared to the other two laptops I've been looking at but I guess with his recommendation and your satisfaction with the Lenovo then I should start to investigate them a little further.
Well, I've had a look at the Lenovo T520 and it looks just great. The thing that you may have missed (and what pumps it up to an extra $150) is that the T520 has NVidia Optimus too and has both the Intel HD card and a NVidia card (NVidia cards with Optimus pump the Graphics power up to about 2 or 3 times the power of just the Intel card, so there's that little price addition ;)). The T520 looks just amazing, but if you want something better you may be good with the T420 that comes without the NVidia card and may cost a lot less. It's ultimately your call, but I would think better of a Lenovo than a Toshiba; Toshibas have a history of overheating quite easily, specially under Linux but also very true when running Windows.

My two cents.

Danko.
Cheer up! Things are getting worse at a slower rate.

Return to “Newbie Questions”