Missing shell themes

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ChickenFur

Missing shell themes

Post by ChickenFur »

Hello,

I just installed linux mint 12 on a virtual box but its missing all the fancy gnome 3 features. (when you click the windows key it doesn't pop upp the application or search panel)

So I thought maybe I needed to enable my shell theme. But it shows a warning and I see no way to enable it.

Is there a way I can repair the linux mint 12 install back to default? Or repair gnome 3?

see screen shot.

http://i.imgur.com/h6va8.jpg

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Danko8321

Re: Missing shell themes

Post by Danko8321 »

That is not Gnome Shell but Gnome Classic. When you don't have enough graphical resources the system throws you into a low-graphics mode session. Most likely you haven't got VirtualBox additions installed (think of them as drivers) or simply haven't got enough hardware. Whichever it is, post back if you have any doubts; here to help :D
ChickenFur

Post by ChickenFur »

I enabled 3d in virtual box and it turns on now. But it doesn't work at all.

I have installed the virtualbox guest editions allready.

See screenshot:

http://i.imgur.com/MmtxU.jpg

Whenever I move up to the top right it tries to display the panel.
I can only use it now in gnome classic or mate.

Should I reinstall video card drivers?

This is the latest version of virtualbox 4.1.12

Thanks!

Maybe the virtualbox addons are broken. I will reinstall those.
ChickenFur

Post by ChickenFur »

So here was my solution.

1. Go into virtualbox and enabled 3d
2. Reinstall the Virtualbox additions
3. It works! :)
Danko8321

Post by Danko8321 »

ChickenFur wrote:I enabled 3d in virtual box and it turns on now. But it doesn't work at all.

I have installed the virtualbox guest editions allready.

See screenshot:

http://i.imgur.com/MmtxU.jpg

Whenever I move up to the top right it tries to display the panel.
I can only use it now in gnome classic or mate.

Should I reinstall video card drivers?

This is the latest version of virtualbox 4.1.12

Thanks!

Maybe the virtualbox addons are broken. I will reinstall those.
OK, that's freaky. VirtualBox additions are likely to be broken. Also, I believe some editions of Mint automatically install VirtualBox additions with updates and that sometimes conflicts with the ones you try to install (being it that that may be the cause of the weird sluggishness of Gnome Shell). Could you post the output you recieve when you try to install VirtualBox additions again (Without actually installing them, of course)? That would help us know which additions version you have currently installed and what may have gone wrong.
Danko8321

Post by Danko8321 »

ChickenFur wrote:So here was my solution.

1. Go into virtualbox and enabled 3d
2. Reinstall the Virtualbox additions
3. It works! :)
Well, a split of a second too late. Anyway, I'm glad it worked. Welcome to our humble community :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”