VPN [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
dgoodma
Level 1
Level 1

VPN [SOLVED]

Post by dgoodma »

[SOLVED] -
After I installed, rebooted; things worked, I was on Wireless, so I was looking for the wrong ICON to click on, DUH!
I cannot find the Network Applet that is referred to in these instructions. The one I found is the one that this says is not the one to use.

Left click the network manager applet (two monitor screens one behind the other probably in the bottom right of your screen) and select VPN Connections->Configure VPN->Add, then enter your connection details. There may be another icon that looks similar to this, which will bring up a dialog 'Connection Properties' if you left click it - this is not the one you want. Reboot if the applet is not visible.

QuickStart

If you're lucky, you'll be able to get connected using the instructions in this section. If not, the remainder of this document will walk you through the process in more detail, and hopefully will help you get sorted!

Obtain your connection type (currently available are Microsoft PPTP, Cisco, or OpenVPN) and authentication details from your VPN administrator.

Install Network Manager Applet through the Add/Remove in the Ubuntu menu.

Install the plug-in for your connection type - either network-manager-pptp, network-manager-vpnc (Cisco) or network-manager-openvpn (use Synaptic Package Manager or apt-get).

Left click the network manager applet (two monitor screens one behind the other probably in the bottom right of your screen) and select VPN Connections->Configure VPN->Add, then enter your connection details. There may be another icon that looks similar to this, which will bring up a dialog 'Connection Properties' if you left click it - this is not the one you want. Reboot if the applet is not visible.

Left click the network manager applet and select VPN Connections then click on your connection to connect.

If your new connection is greyed out and unselectable, or all you see is Manual Configuration...:
o

Backup /etc/network/interfaces to /etc/network/interfaces.original.
o

Delete all lines from /etc/network/interfaces not including the string "lo" (leaving two lines, probably the first two, beginning auto and iface).
o

Reboot.

If the above step leaves you with no internet connection at all, replace the original file and reboot.

I
Last edited by dgoodma on Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Re: VPN

Post by MagnusB »

Don't make double posts about the same topic!
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
dgoodma
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dgoodma »

Did I? I was trying to help someone else... how about an answer, rather than a criticism for trying to help?
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

*goes into the corner* Sorry, misread your name, damn, same topic title, both nicks starts with D... Look at the other topic I was referring to for help on locating NetworkManager, as I lost the link I used there..
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin

Return to “Newbie Questions”