Live CD question about saved files / downloads etc

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
jonbey
Level 1
Level 1

Live CD question about saved files / downloads etc

Post by jonbey »

Hi, I am on live CD. When I shut down and go back to Windows, are all my downloads etc saved somewhere?

I am still trying to work out what I can and cannot do with live CD.
New to Linux Mint. Used Ubuntu in the past. Just suffered a Vista failure so trying this out. When not trying to fix my PC I manage Essex Portal.
cxexa
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Live CD question about saved files / downloads etc

Post by cxexa »

no
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

Short answer: No.

Long answer: It depends. If you want to retain those files, then move them to external media (UFD, memory card, bluetooth transfer to your mobile phone) or mount the hard drive and move them there before you shut down the computer.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

I'd suggest running Live USB instead from CD, using Persistence. if you're using Windows here's a fine tool to create the USB stick, and you have to set the USB drive ahead of other drives in your computer's BIOS for booting:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- ... -as-1-2-3/

I'd suggest a 4GB USB drive, with 1.5 GB set for the Mint, and the rest allocated to "Persistence."

The advantage of Persistent Live USB is it behaves pretty much like a regular installation, saving your settings and even your additions and deletions of software - you can really use Mint in a way you can't from CD. In my experience, over a year or so with many versions of Linux, the Live USB always seems to wonky after a few weeks of regular use, demanding passwords or failing to find the hard drive, so I don't consider it a reliable substitute for a real installation, but it is far better than Live CD.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual booting LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook).

Return to “Newbie Questions”