Promise PCI ATA-100 Controller Card

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
TheKid7
Level 1
Level 1

Promise PCI ATA-100 Controller Card

Post by TheKid7 »

I am considering purchased a new Motherboard, CPU and Memory to upgrade my Linux PC. The motherboard only has one IDE connector which I plan to use for the DVD Burner. I already have an ATA 100 hard drive and Promise PCI ATA-100 Controller Card.

Question:

If I have the ATA-100 hard drive connected to the Promise PCI ATA-100 Controller Card, will Linux Mint 4.0 KDE properly detect the hard drive so that I can install Linux Mint 4.0 on it? I trying to avoid buying a SATA2 hard drive.

Comment: The reason that I am considering upgrading is that the cheap motherboard that I have been using in the PC seems to give many Distros problem with the on-board video. When I booted "Live" with Linux Mint 4.0 KDE it detected the video card OK but had 1600 x 1200 resolution. The only resolution that I could change it to was the lowest one (The one that is below 800 x 600). I decided to install Linux Mint 4.0 KDE to the hard drive. On 1st boot after installation I got a nearly blank screen with many light specs in strips. This has happened on the Ubuntu/Kubuntu and a few other distros.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Promise PCI ATA-100 Controller Card

Post by Husse »

I think it'll use the controller card - but does it need special drivers?
I found this
http://www.geocities.com/ender7007/index.html
Which indicates it may not be straight forward. Note that you have to adapt the procedure if you have to use it. Try without any "special arrangements" first, with every new kernel more hardware can be used out of the box
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

Return to “Newbie Questions”