Need help with optimization w/ Mint 12

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Roger.Mancia
Level 1
Level 1

Need help with optimization w/ Mint 12

Post by Roger.Mancia » Wed May 02, 2012 12:30 pm

Hi all,

Long time Windows user. I decided to switch around and use Linux as the host and install Windows VMs to do my work. I have Mint 12(64) and vmbox installed (with Win64) and everything works, however it runs a bit slow. This can be from delay in commands appearing in console when I type them, to opening applications etc, delay on clicking the menu from the time it actually opens. The delay is seconds, but I honestly wanted to try Mint as the host OS because I thought it would be faster and more lite weight than Windows.

The overall state of the host just seems sluggish. I used to run multiple VMs with the host as Windows64 and everything went smooth. I think I just need to maybe optimize my configuration?

System
Memory: 8gb
Proc: Intel® Core™ i5 CPU 660 @ 3.33GHz × 4
Graphics: GeForce GT 330/PCI/SSE2
OS Type: 64-bit
Disk: 306.7 GB

Could it be my NVIDIA card?
Package: nvidia-settings
Version: 280.13-0ubuntu2

Any help would be great, I am really open minded to any suggestions but I need to be able to multitask with multiple VMs

hellfire695
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Need help with optimization w/ Mint 12

Post by hellfire695 » Thu May 03, 2012 8:19 am

What desktop are you using?
mate
cinnamon
gnome-shell
xfce
lxde
or kde