Convert to MPEG

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Diekan
Level 1
Level 1

Convert to MPEG

Post by Diekan »

Hey all,

N00b question here, but I am in dire need. I have a presentation to give tomorrow and I can't for the life of me find a converter that converts downloaded video (of various formats to MPEG).

I have tried:

Winff, Vidshot, DeVeDe,,,

NONE of these have a way to covert to MPEG. I am creating the presentation on my Mint box, but will be giving it on a Windows machine. I need MPEG.

Help!

Tkx in advance.

Inkit
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Convert to MPEG

Post by Inkit »

Have you tried ffmpeg. It's available in the repos and seems easy enough to use. I haven't tried it though. Here's a link that explains in a very simple manner how you use the ffmpeg command. [http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8517].
Hope it helps.

mikecrosoft
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mikecrosoft »

Hello everyone. You can also use avidemux, its in the default software sources and the process is so easy: import file and save as mpeg. Regards!.

Brahim Salem
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Brahim Salem »

FF Multi Converter is what you're looking for. FF Multi Converter is a simple graphical application that enables you to convert audio, video, image and document files between all popular formats, using and combining other programs. It uses ffmpeg for audio/video files, unoconv for document files and PythonMagick library for image file conversions. Common conversion options for each file type are provided. Recursive conversions are available too.

Features: * Conversions for several file formats. * Very easy to use interface. * Access to common conversion options. * Options for saving and naming files. * Recursive conversions

FF Multi Converter 1.4.0 is the latest version that has been released recently bringing more improvements and adding support for more file formats. Multi-Converter is a simple GUI that allows users to convert between many file formats such as audio, video, document and image formats.

FF-Multi-Converter 1.4.0 Installation

To install FF-Multi-Converter 1.4.0 on Linux Mint 13 (Maya) or older or Ubuntu 12.10/12.04 or older, open the terminal and run the following commands:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ffmulticonverter/stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ffmulticonverter

For other non Debian-systems, you can install FF-Multi-Converter 1.4.0 from source with these commands:

cd /tmp && wget -O ffmulticonverter-1.4.0.tar.gz http://goo.gl/k7sXZ

tar -xzvf ffmulticonverter-1.4.0.tar.gz && cd ffmulticonverter-1.4.0

sudo ./setup.py install

Return to “Newbie Questions”