LM 13 and Gnome

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
CWM800
Level 1
Level 1

LM 13 and Gnome

Post by CWM800 »

Hi,

I am thinking about installing LM I am reading and hearing about how LM is not going to continue on with Gnome 3.x and to move on to Cinnamon on MATE...

I am wondering whats going to happen to us gnome users? will LM 12 be the last gnome DE? LM 13 will only give the options for Cinnamon or MATE?

I just dont want to install it, if LM is going to loose support for gnome!

I feel linux is safe for my mother and I because I dont have to worry about an Antivirus or spyware... It does what what we need and I feel were better off than having to spend 178.00 for Win 7 HP.

Thanks,
Christopher
Danko8321
Level 4
Level 4

Re: LM 13 and Gnome

Post by Danko8321 »

Cinnamon depends on Gnome 3 so it wouldn't really loose support, it just wouldn't be installed by default, as it happens in LMDE. You can install it then if you want, but (as Cinnamon and Mate will come in separate ISOs) you would have to install it on top of the Cinnamon edition so it doesn't pull a huge list of dependencies.
Cheer up! Things are getting worse at a slower rate.
CWM800
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CWM800 »

Danko8321 wrote:Cinnamon depends on Gnome 3 so it wouldn't really loose support, it just wouldn't be installed by default, as it happens in LMDE. You can install it then if you want, but (as Cinnamon and Mate will come in separate ISOs) you would have to install it on top of the Cinnamon edition so it doesn't pull a huge list of dependencies.
So there'll be like 5 different ISO's.. So I can still use plain gnome 3... if I wished?

Plain Gnome

KDE

Cinnamon

Debian

Mate
Danko8321
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Danko8321 »

CWM800 wrote:
Danko8321 wrote:Cinnamon depends on Gnome 3 so it wouldn't really loose support, it just wouldn't be installed by default, as it happens in LMDE. You can install it then if you want, but (as Cinnamon and Mate will come in separate ISOs) you would have to install it on top of the Cinnamon edition so it doesn't pull a huge list of dependencies.
So there'll be like 5 different ISO's.. So I can still use plain gnome 3... if I wished?

Plain Gnome

KDE

Cinnamon

Debian

Mate
No, no "Plain Gnome" ISO. Mint doesn't like gnome and, paraphrasing them, Gnome Shell is going in a direction they do not want to follow and doesn't offer options that they feel they need. That's why they developed Cinnamon. If you want Gnome Shell, use the Cinnamon ISO and install Gnome Shell on top of it. That is the only way; Mint is no longer actively supporting Gnome Shell, it is only using it to base Cinnamon upon it.

Also, Debian is not a DE, it is a Linux Distribution and it is incompatible with Ubuntu. Check here for more info on Debian
Cheer up! Things are getting worse at a slower rate.

Return to “Newbie Questions”