Cursor pauses every second or so

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
benutne
Level 1
Level 1

Cursor pauses every second or so

Post by benutne »

I'm having an issue where my mouse cursor pauses for a breif moment every second or so. Both a USB mouse and the trackpad on my Dell Latitude D620 are having the issue. I think it might even be a system wide pause as when I brought up the system monitor the CPU graph paused in time with the cursor pauses. It is very frustrating. I've installed Mint on several other machines in the past with zero trouble.

Any thoughts?

Danko8321
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Cursor pauses every second or so

Post by Danko8321 »

Sorry, but with that kind of info I can't be of any help. Try reading this and posting back.
Cheer up! Things are getting worse at a slower rate.

benutne
Level 1
Level 1

Post by benutne »

Danko8321 wrote:Sorry, but with that kind of info I can't be of any help. Try reading this and posting back.
Mint 12 Gnome 32 bit is the OS. Searching got me nowhere and suggesting it is a condescending and unhelpful response. I'm not trying to be rude but "search before you ask" seems to be the default answer anyplace. As if I haven't done that first. I'll gladly give more info but need a direction to take as I don't want to flood the post with superfluous information. I don't have this issue while booted into Windows so it must be a Linux/Mint issue.

Danko8321
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Danko8321 »

benutne wrote:
Danko8321 wrote:Sorry, but with that kind of info I can't be of any help. Try reading this and posting back.
Mint 12 Gnome 32 bit is the OS. Searching got me nowhere and suggesting it is a condescending and unhelpful response. I'm not trying to be rude but "search before you ask" seems to be the default answer anyplace. As if I haven't done that first. I'll gladly give more info but need a direction to take as I don't want to flood the post with superfluous information. I don't have this issue while booted into Windows so it must be a Linux/Mint issue.
I'm sorry if I gave that impression, but you got me totally wrong. I was trying to make you spill out the branding and driver of your graphics card, and maybe what things did you do before it happened. By putting that Link I wasn't going in the "I don't want to help, go search yourself" direction but rather the "I can't help you if you aren't more specific" one (I was trying to make you look into the "Details! Details! Details!" part, not the one about searching).

So, seeming that you are truly a newbie and my comment was wrongly directed, try the following: Type in this two commands so I can have a look at what kind of hardware you have and what may be causing the problem (my guess is Graphics Card, but I can't really help you if I don't know which graphics card you have and what driver it is using). With that clarified, type the following command in a terminal:

Code: Select all

lspci
and post it's output here. Then, also type in this one

inxi -Gx
and post it's output too. As I said before, we can't help you unless you provide more info, so help us help you :)

EDIT: sorry, capitalized the wrong letter; now fixed.

benutne
Level 1
Level 1

Post by benutne »

lspci

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 01)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 01)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 3 (rev 01)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 01)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 01)
03:01.0 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ601/6912/711E0 CardBus/SmartCardBus Controller (rev 40)
09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5752 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)
0c:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)
inxi -Gx

Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org 1.10.4 drivers intel unloaded: fbdev,vesa Resolution 1280x800@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer Mesa DRI Intel 945GM x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version 1.4 Mesa 7.11 Direct Rendering Yes
Thanks for the reply. This is exactly what I needed. And I'm sorry if I came off snarky. I just get so tired of people telling me to use the search as if I hadn't done that already and I thought that is what you were suggesting.

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

Well if it is system wide, is it only affecting the mouse and keyboard?
--if so I would look at their settings first, see how they are being timed by the system (pauses between clicks etc..)

It may also be simply the graphic speed available with your particular graphic card selection, MESA: which would affect cursors (keyboard or mouse) responsiveness..

I might also check for the latest synaptics touchpad drivers
  • And is it jumpy/pausing or is it traveling for typing or tapping the touchpad ?
    --I am sure you know what you see, but the question arises for me!
http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-use ... ivity.html
  • irqpoll as boot parameter can hurt performance, but it may stop the jumpy cursors
    --or if it is a minor itch, perhaps live with it and wait for an update ?

benutne
Level 1
Level 1

Post by benutne »

DrHu wrote:Well if it is system wide, is it only affecting the mouse and keyboard?
--if so I would look at their settings first, see how they are being timed by the system (pauses between clicks etc..)

It may also be simply the graphic speed available with your particular graphic card selection, MESA: which would affect cursors (keyboard or mouse) responsiveness..

I might also check for the latest synaptics touchpad drivers
  • And is it jumpy/pausing or is it traveling for typing or tapping the touchpad ?
    --I am sure you know what you see, but the question arises for me!
http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-use ... ivity.html
  • irqpoll as boot parameter can hurt performance, but it may stop the jumpy cursors
    --or if it is a minor itch, perhaps live with it and wait for an update ?
Definitely system wide. I ran the top command with a delay of 0.2 and the output stutters in time with the mouse cursor.

benutne
Level 1
Level 1

Post by benutne »

OK, fixed. I knew something was wrong when I booted into Windows and saw the same problems. In the BIOS too. I pulled the battery and the hard drive, put them back in and it wasn't stuttering anymore. I have no idea what was wrong.

Danko8321
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Danko8321 »

benutne wrote:OK, fixed. I knew something was wrong when I booted into Windows and saw the same problems. In the BIOS too. I pulled the battery and the hard drive, put them back in and it wasn't stuttering anymore. I have no idea what was wrong.
Ahh, good for you! I was about to make you pull the virtual guts of your system, but I see you got ahead of me in real life :lol:

Glad it worked out. Cheers.

Return to “Newbie Questions”