Caracter Map does not include Spanish?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ElMugroso
Level 1
Level 1

Caracter Map does not include Spanish?

Post by ElMugroso »

I want to use the Character Map to cut/paste some Spanish letters, but, unfortunately, it does not include the Spanish alphabet.

How to include it?

Thanks for any help!

Danko8321
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Caracter Map does not include Spanish?

Post by Danko8321 »

ElMugroso wrote:I want to use the Character Map to cut/paste some Spanish letters, but, unfortunately, it does not include the Spanish alphabet.

How to include it?

Thanks for any help!
That's weird. I speak Spanish and have never had to do that, have you tried putting a Spanish keyboard? Spanish is just not included in the Character Map.
Cheer up! Things are getting worse at a slower rate.

ElMugroso
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ElMugroso »

Hi and thank you Danko,

I think Spanish SOULD be included in the character map.

I am amazed that character maps for so many dialects are included (many seem strange) and not one for Spanish.

I still need to have English keyboard, but I need Spanish characters ocassionally.

mikecrosoft
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mikecrosoft »

Hello everyone. Maybe you can use the latin script, I think there will be at least most of them; tell me if there are still some missing characters and I'll try to find a solution, maybe I can send you a plain text file containing some of those you need. Regards!.

ElMugroso
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ElMugroso »

I have a solution consiting of a text file that includes the ones I need.

I still feel Spanish ought to be included in the Character map.

Thanks!

mikecrosoft
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mikecrosoft »

Hello again. I do agree, spanish should be included, but :D; I was making an ASCII Table for your usage, so here it is https://spideroak.com/browse/share/Shar ... nopassword. Check it out, maybe there are some characters you were missing. You can insert them also by hitting Ctrl+Shift+u+HexCode. Regards!.

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Wow, how was that ever left out? Just noticed it in GNOME Character Map (gucharmap) in Ubuntu 12.04. Somebody really dropped the ball here.

Well, my solution was to add KCharSelect from KDE.

terdon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by terdon »

Why not just install the spanish keyboard layout? Just go to keyboard=> preferences and add spanish as a layout. Whenever I need a spanish character (meaning either ñ or ç or an accent since all other characters are the same) I just switch to the layout (I have a shortcut) type whatever I want and switch back.

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

terdon wrote:Why not just install the spanish keyboard layout? Just go to keyboard=> preferences and add spanish as a layout. Whenever I need a spanish character (meaning either ñ or ç or an accent since all other characters are the same) I just switch to the layout (I have a shortcut) type whatever I want and switch back.
Thanks, that's a better idea. I added the Spanish keyboard layout in Ubuntu 12.04. Now in both Unity and GNOME Shell, changing the layout is as simple as clicking on the applet in the panel (GNOME Shell users will have to whitelist it). Excellent tip -- thanks again! I am not fluent in Spanish but I do need Spanish characters occasionally, and this is much simpler than a character map!

ElMugroso
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ElMugroso »

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

terdon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by terdon »

You're very welcome.

PS. Given that you are "not fluent" in spanish, I have to ask , you do know what mugroso and mugre mean right? :)

mikecrosoft
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mikecrosoft »

Hello everyone. I guess this is solved, thanks for the info guys maybe this will help me someday. Wish you all a great day!.

Return to “Newbie Questions”