My OS broken after update Frustrated!!!!!!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Davey
Level 1
Level 1

My OS broken after update Frustrated!!!!!!

Post by Davey »

My Linux Mint 4.0 KDE CE is broken after update, some problem with graphics I have a nvidia 7900GT. I did what was suggested in other thread "sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg" and then run envy again. That doesn't work for me, i have gotten past the text login but now my OS is frozen before graphical login. I have been trying out alot of linux distros so far ubuntu, kubuntu, pclos, mandiva and now mint. I seem to be having same lockup problems before graphical login on most of them. I loaded mint with no problems and was amazed at how nice it was, user friendly, started to customize it and download all the updates. I was set this was the best of the best of every distro i ever tried, would even consider dropping my XP but now i am stuck again and gotta boot into windows to look for fixes for Mint. I so want to make a switch but i am lost in linux even though i am savvy in windoze. Is there any hope for me or am i destined to keep buying microsoft crap. Ok end rant. Any help i could get would be great cause i really love this distro.

Computer specs
AMD 3800+ x64 dual
nvidia 7900 GT
1 gig pc3200 ddr ram
sound blaster audigy
2 IDE HD's 1 with Mint, 1 with Xp
1 sata HD NTFS for backup storage

Everything worked before i did update on Mint.

rustyman99
Level 1
Level 1

Re: My OS broken after update Frustrated!!!!!!

Post by rustyman99 »

I've had the same issue in an Arch Linux update, I assume its the 169.12-1 driver you've installed?
The fix in Arch was to blacklist "nvidiafb" by editing the "/etc/rc.conf" file.
I can't get to my Mint box atm the check if the path is the same, perhaps someone here can help/check?

Davey
Level 1
Level 1

Re: My OS broken after update Frustrated!!!!!!

Post by Davey »

Thanks for your reply. I found this thread and was trying the fixes posted here but still can't get into my desktop. I will keep at it and hope something works.

http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=9730

Return to “Newbie Questions”