Keys randomly not working

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
unreal223
Level 1
Level 1

Keys randomly not working

Post by unreal223 »

Is it a documented issue for mint to randomly have keyboard keys not work? Everything was working fine for the last few days and then randomly a few keys on my keyboard quit working(numbers mostly but not all, and a few letters). I couldn't log in and got freaked out because there were a few docs I needed. Luckily I had a usb keyboard on me and was able to log in.

After getting my data on a usb drive I rebooted the laptop and took off the usb keyboard. Strangely everything seemed to work. Well now I have noticed it happening every couple of reboots.

I just now installed windows xp and have rebooted maybe 10 or more times and it hasn't happened yet. The laptop isn't brand new but its not old either(got it last christmas). I baby this thing, the keys aren't dirty(I dont eat/drink around it) but I cleaned it with compressed air just to make sure.

Anybody else experience anything like this? It seems to be the same keys.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Keys randomly not working

Post by Husse »

I would normally say this is hardware error - I can think of no software that does this with the possible exception of a keyboard buffer, the cause of which I would guess faulty memory
Can you find any "system" in it at all?
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

Return to “Newbie Questions”