System broken after nvidia install

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
scgendo
Level 1
Level 1

System broken after nvidia install

Post by scgendo »

Hi, i've tried to install the nvidia driver from the website but after it's done i can't run the system anymore.
I have a gtx555m and wasn't working with the standard driver so decided to try the newest driver and now when i start the machine i get a check screen where i get (amongst others) a "system V run level compatibility fail".
I can get to recovery mode from there and after running the filesystem check i get a promt and tried to reinstall the driver but says the same as before and can't do much else.
Fairly newbie here need help as i don't have a back up of the system.
Also i have the /home folder on another drive, could i just reinstall Mint and keep that intact?

Thanks!
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: System broken after nvidia install

Post by remoulder »

scgendo wrote:/home folder on another drive, could i just reinstall Mint and keep that
Yes you can do that, just specify the location of /home during the partitioning part of the installation but ensure you do NOT format your home.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
mikecrosoft
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mikecrosoft »

Hello everyone. On your next Mint installation you can use the Ubuntu X team ppa, it is updated constantly to provide the latest nvidia driver version; you'll first need to check your mint version is supported by the ppa https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates because you dindn't provide such information, but I'm almost sure it is. To add described ppa on Mint versions based on ubuntu 9.10 or later open a terminal emulator and type in and execute following command, for older versions check adding intructions on the ppa webpage:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
Then use synaptic or your favorite package manager, update package indexes and install nvidia-current and nvidia-settings packages.
Regards!.
scgendo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by scgendo »

Thanks for the advice! i'll reinstall now, i've seen the ppa way scrolling down the same thread but was too late, using Mint 12 so shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again
scgendo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by scgendo »

mikecrosoft wrote:Hello everyone. On your next Mint installation you can use the Ubuntu X team ppa, it is updated constantly to provide the latest nvidia driver version; you'll first need to check your mint version is supported by the ppa https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates because you dindn't provide such information, but I'm almost sure it is. To add described ppa on Mint versions based on ubuntu 9.10 or later open a terminal emulator and type in and execute following command, for older versions check adding intructions on the ppa webpage:

Then use synaptic or your favorite package manager, update package indexes and install nvidia-current and nvidia-settings packages.
Regards!.
Done that, login into fallback mode, run nvidia-xconfig and same issue that doesn't start at all but this time no fail state on run level, had to reinstall again, any suggestions?
mikecrosoft
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mikecrosoft »

Hello scgendo. This seems really strange, I remember this happened to me with some compiled kernels; can you login in text mode?, you can check from there if the required packages are already installed (this are the nvidia related packages installed on my system: libvdpau1, nvidia-current, nvidia-settings, xserver-xorg-video-nouveau), and you can also make a dist upgrade (maybe your card needs a more recent x version or your current kernel version is giving you that problem). If you can login into text mode Ctrl+Alt+F1, you can try this:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get purge libvdpau1 nvidia-current nvidia-settings
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install libvdpau1 nvidia-current nvidia-settings
sudo nvidia-xconfig
Hope this helps!.
mintymintminty
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mintymintminty »

Sorry but as far as I am aware nVidia has rolled out a driver update to fix the regression Issues and as of yet Its not In the repositories, The version you need Is v295.49.

Available http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-disp ... river.html

Regards
scgendo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by scgendo »

mikecrosoft wrote:Hello scgendo. This seems really strange, I remember this happened to me with some compiled kernels; can you login in text mode?, you can check from there if the required packages are already installed (this are the nvidia related packages installed on my system: libvdpau1, nvidia-current, nvidia-settings, xserver-xorg-video-nouveau), and you can also make a dist upgrade (maybe your card needs a more recent x version or your current kernel version is giving you that problem). If you can login into text mode Ctrl+Alt+F1, you can try this:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get purge libvdpau1 nvidia-current nvidia-settings
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install libvdpau1 nvidia-current nvidia-settings
sudo nvidia-xconfig
Hope this helps!.
Hi, i can get a text promt going into recovery mode but there's no internet there, i think the problem is that i have a dell laptop with i7 sandybridge and nvidia gtx555m and uses a "optimus" tech, the system now sees only the graphics deliivered by the cpu, that should be fixed with the latest driver but if i follow the steps it brakes the system anyway, my safest bet is to try again the manual method.
Thanks
scgendo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by scgendo »

mintymintminty wrote:Sorry but as far as I am aware nVidia has rolled out a driver update to fix the regression Issues and as of yet Its not In the repositories, The version you need Is v295.49.

Available http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-disp ... river.html

Regards
Hi, have you done that succesfully? because it brakes my system, could you point me to the guide (if you used one) that you followed? maybe will make the difference, thanks.
mikecrosoft
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mikecrosoft »

Hello scgendo. Really sorry about hearing you're still in troubles; have you tried booting with a nomodeset parameter?, here is a guide about how to do it http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132 and maybe then you can check installed packages as I've suggested before. I've searched for a driver at drivers section in nvidia webpage, but there is no GTX 550M model listed, I think you were meaning GT 550M and as you can see here http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-disp ... river.html your video card is supported by version 295.40 wich is curently available at aforementioned ppa; I still think it will be easiear to go this way. Regards!.

Return to “Newbie Questions”