How do I change the splash screen?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
jokersloose
Level 4
Level 4

How do I change the splash screen?

Post by jokersloose »

OK,

I was on gnome.org and was looking through the thousands of art work and wouldn't mind using a splash screen I found. But for the life of me can't find a splash screen option. So where do I go to change this once I have the one I want downloaded?

Thanks,
James

proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Re: How do I change the splash screen?

Post by proxima_centauri »

You can try installing gnome-splashscreen-manager via synaptic, should give you an option from menu under preferences. Install and activate from that program.
Alternatively I think the splash screens are located at /usr/share/pixmaps/splash, so you might be able to see what you are using now, back a backup of it or move it to another folder, move the splash you want into that folder and rename it as the same filename as the original splash.
Or you can just throw your new splash in that folder. open a terminal, put in gconf-editor, go to Apps -> gnome-session -> Options-> and change the splash by typing in you new filename.
Hope any of these help.
Cheers.

Return to “Newbie Questions”