Maya

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
brooksbrooks
Level 1
Level 1

Maya

Post by brooksbrooks » Mon May 21, 2012 1:12 pm

I've downloaded Linuxmint 13, burned it to dvd and installed it on a machine with xp to dual boot and it works perfectly. I then tried to do the same with a laptop with vista and it won't load, saying it can't find the iso. However, it will work on the vista machine from the dvd i.e. no installation. I would be grateful if someone could put me in the right direction to get it to dual boot alongside Vista.

Thanks

hellfire695
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Maya

Post by hellfire695 » Tue May 22, 2012 9:59 pm

Vista probably got hungry and ate it :lol:

now try

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/2011/11/19 ... -released/
download and burn to disk, preferably with your other linux install (none of the burner in windows are worth a dam)
then boot that disk and see what comes up, if it picks up anything linux then great
if not then that grub2 disk is something you should keep anyway, very handy

now once you boot mint fire up gparted and check what partition mint is installed too e.g sda1
now once you see the partiton that mint is on
run in the terminal
sudo grub-setup /dev/whatever partiton
then
sudo update-grub.

hopefully that works if not reinstall

brooksbrooks
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Maya SOLVED

Post by brooksbrooks » Fri May 25, 2012 10:18 am

Thanks for that. No luck though. After two days of trying to get this thing to work with Vista I've concluded that there was only one thing to do. Vista is an ex OS.
Thanks for your help.

Return to “Newbie Questions”