Single bottom panel on 12

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Rutilus
Level 1
Level 1

Single bottom panel on 12

Post by Rutilus »

I've installed Linux Mint 12 on a small laptop having liked using Linux Mint 11 on a desktop. The top and bottom panels take up a lot of space when a single bottom panel would suit the screen size better. Is there a way to change Linux Mint 12 to have a single bottom panel?

jonnycat
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Single bottom panel on 12

Post by jonnycat »

KDE only has one "panel" on the bottom, AKA the taskbar, and you can adjust it's height.

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

@Rutilus: see mint 12 tips & tricks
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Rutilus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rutilus »

My bottom panel doesn't contain a "menu" item in the left hand corner; instead there's a tiny icon of three horizontal lines that doesn't give a message when I hover over it and doesn't (seem to) do anything when I click on it. The only other items on the bottom panel are 4 squares at the right hand corner for 4 workspaces. When I go into Applications > Other > Advanced Settings > Shell Extensions there's an empty list. Encouragingly, however, when I open an application, it appears in the bottom panel as expected.

First I thought the bottom panel was short of a menu item etc because I installed only the CD version of Linux Mint (I have simple needs and thought that would do). However, when I downloaded the DVD version, hoping that that would complete the bottom panel and give me some shell extensions, it didn't make any difference.

I don't want to install Linux Mint 11 on my small laptop because I'd like to keep fairly up to date and besides Linux Mint 12 wasn't an easy install.

Any suggestions about what's going on here?

Rutilus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rutilus »

Update: the tiny icon of three horizontal lines in the left hand corner of the bottom panel is "Window List Preferences" activated by right clicking.

The Tips & Tricks article suggests logging into MATE instead of Gnome by clicking on the cog wheel before logging in. When I click on the cog wheel, I can choose between "Gnome," "Gnome Classic" and "Gnome Classic (no effects)." That is, there is no "MATE" option. What would I do if MATE didn't install?

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

It sounds as if you are running in gnome shell fallback mode which happens when gnome doesn't think your graphics are up to the shell desktop. MATE has to be installed by entering in a terminal

Code: Select all

apt install mint-meta-mate
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Return to “Newbie Questions”