[Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
kruijf
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by kruijf »

Yes the build number was something else then the one all ready was installed on my system, i know to look at that :wink:
I'm testing it now and so far so good, even whit this online game http://tankionline.com/en/ Before he freezes also here when i logout.
Tomorrow i going to test Libre Office whit this build.
Acer Aspire 5749: Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon

dropbox

Linux steunpunt Soest

Twitter: @bdekruijf

Team Member of the Dutch support forum.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

kruijf wrote:Yes the build number was something else then the one all ready was installed on my system, i know to look at that :wink:
I'm testing it now and so far so good, even whit this online game http://tankionline.com/en/ Before he freezes also here when i logout.
Tomorrow i going to test Libre Office whit this build.
Hope all goes well. So far so good with my laptop but like you said--more testing needed.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
kruijf
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kruijf »

I like to do some testing, but i like to test if its possible in virtual box.
But this is also my working laptop, so its testing on this one now.
For now its time to go to bed.

dropbox

Linux steunpunt Soest

donmatas
Level 2
Level 2

Post by donmatas »

kmb42vt wrote:
donmatas wrote:I cheked the integrity of the iso and it gives me 5 errors. Where can I find good iso?
Try another mirror even if it's not located in your country. I got a good download from the Yellow Fiber Network (USA).
Now I get 4 errors (file downloaded from Yllow Fiber Network)

Any idea?
esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by esteban1uy »

donmatas wrote:
kmb42vt wrote:
donmatas wrote:I cheked the integrity of the iso and it gives me 5 errors. Where can I find good iso?
Try another mirror even if it's not located in your country. I got a good download from the Yellow Fiber Network (USA).
Now I get 4 errors (file downloaded from Yllow Fiber Network)

Any idea?
Well, you're certainly not alone: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ty#p594235 (it's in Spanish, use Google Translate)

But if the md5 checksum is ok and you burn the iso with the "verify data" option enabled in your burner software, there's nothing to be worried about.
Sorry, I only speak Spanish
ugggf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ugggf »

Disabling Java in LibreOffice didn't help. I got a crash yesterday with LO open but not using it at that moment and another one today wihout LO opened. I just installed Cinnamon 1.4.0 to see if it helps.
agnar150
Level 1
Level 1

Post by agnar150 »

I installed Xubuntu and found that it freezes too after a period of time while using a browser. So the freezing is not related to Cinnamon. It is not related to a browser either because it freezes while installing applications too.
agnar150
Level 1
Level 1

Post by agnar150 »

I have found that the freezing is not related to Cinnamon. It must be related to the kernel since the freezing occurs with Ubuntu and Xubuntu as well under the same circumstances. Yesterday while using a browser and installing software Xubuntu froze twice in the same manner as Mint 13 the mouse and keyboard lock up and you need to hard reset the computer to recover.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Has anyone tried the new Linux Mint XFCE edition. I ask simply because it's not based on Xubuntu. It uses the Ubuntu binaries to be sure but the devs added and modified the XFCE 4.10 DE themselves. If the problem is Ubuntu itself or it's mainline kernel this is another "elimination" test that could be performed meaning to possibly eliminate Cinnamon from the equation.

Personally, I'm not convinced that Cinnamon does not have a problem since the nightly builds don't appear to exhibit the freezing problem so far but it's hard to tell at this point yet.

For those who wish to eliminate the default Ubuntu kernel that came with Maya you can install another "mainline" kernel from here:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

Pick whatever kernel version you wish to try. You need the "headers" and "image" for your architecture (32 or 64 bit) plus the "...headers...all.deb". Install the "...headers...all.deb" first, the "headers" .deb second and the "image" .deb third. The reboot into the new kernel. If you run any video or wireless drivers like Nvidia, AMD or Broadcom you might have to rebuild/reinstall those drivers as well. Sometimes they build automatically via dkms, sometimes not. I've installed these mainline kernels without much problem though.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I also use the kernels from there - using the how-to from http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40185 - and it works fine. But the default Ubuntu kernels also have never caused problems for me, however. (Except a wifi dongle that only worked with Ubuntu kernels, and not with mainline, but that's fixed in 3.4/3.5 or something like that)
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

AlbertP wrote:I also use the kernels from there - using the how-to from http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40185 - and it works fine. But the default Ubuntu kernels also have never caused problems for me, however. (Except a wifi dongle that only worked with Ubuntu kernels, and not with mainline, but that's fixed in 3.4/3.5 or something like that)
Heh, depends on the hardware it seems but what hardware? For the majority of Maya users there is no freezing problem whatsoever, only certain hardware configurations appear to have problems but that's a pretty broad statement. For myself, Maya/Cinnamon has no problem on my desktop PC but keeps freezing on my laptop regardless of whatever display manager, Java version, kernel version, etc I was running. A fresh download of Maya/Cinnamon 32-bit appeared to solve the freezing problem for a day or so but it showed up again. Now, the latest "cinnamon-nightly" build seems to have solved the problem also but it's still very much a "wait and see" thing.

It's too bad they got rid of the "banging head against brick wall" emoticon because I'd definitely be ending posts about this problem with it. Image
esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by esteban1uy »

kmb42vt wrote:
AlbertP wrote:I also use the kernels from there - using the how-to from http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40185 - and it works fine. But the default Ubuntu kernels also have never caused problems for me, however. (Except a wifi dongle that only worked with Ubuntu kernels, and not with mainline, but that's fixed in 3.4/3.5 or something like that)
Heh, depends on the hardware it seems but what hardware? For the majority of Maya users there is no freezing problem whatsoever, only certain hardware configurations appear to have problems but that's a pretty broad statement. For myself, Maya/Cinnamon has no problem on my desktop PC but keeps freezing on my laptop regardless of whatever display manager, Java version, kernel version, etc I was running. A fresh download of Maya/Cinnamon 32-bit appeared to solve the freezing problem for a day or so but it showed up again. Now, the latest "cinnamon-nightly" build seems to have solved the problem also but it's still very much a "wait and see" thing.

It's too bad they got rid of the "banging head against brick wall" emoticon because I'd definitely be ending posts about this problem with it. Image
It is not so hard to make a little survey of the problematic hardware configurations.
If everyone having those freezes posts his "inxi -Fc 0" output we could easily check what they all have in common.

But I have the strong suspicion that all the troubles have the same origin: Mesa

Let's do a little review of the facts:

-In certain systems Cinnamon freezes while doing some simple tasks (Cinnamon strongly depends on Mesa: no Mesa=no Cinnamon).
-Firefox freezes in certain pages (Firefox uses WebGL that depends on Mesa).
-LibreOffice with Java enabled freezes (Java depends on LibGL, a central component of Mesa).
-Some Java based programs freeze (vide supra).
-Ubuntu + XFCE freezes (XCFE uses Mesa dependent libraries if compositing is enabled).
-It seems to be kernel independent.
-There have been reports of some very suspicious similar symptoms in the latest versions of other major distributions (do a search at Fedora forums, Gentoo, Debian, OpenSUSE, etc.)
-There are no freezes in Mint 12!

So, what is that Mesa thing?
It's the part of a Linux system that deals with 3D graphics, and at the same time, probably the most complex piece of software after the Linux kernel.
But the problem is not its intricacy, but its messiness, or paraphrasing Linux Torvalds on Gnome3: its unholy messiness.

Did you know that, at the its current state, you cannot compile Mesa from source packages in Ubuntu 12.04 or any of its derivatives (like Mint 13)?
One of the things we are proud in Linux is that you can always download the source packages provided by your distribution, modify them, patch them, recompile and install. Even a child can do that. You can even do that with the hyper-complex Linux kernel without any trouble... but not for Mesa in its current state!

Somebody (who knows) removed some very important dependencies (nouveau in libdrm is one of them) form the sources of the "stable" release of Mesa, so if you want to patch it, modify it, tweak it, etc., you won't be able to recompile it. The only thing you can do is to move to the "experimental" branch or you may take your time to "backport" by hand all those dependencies.

Why Cinnamon, Gnome-shell and Unity are so glitchy with the default software rendering (the hypothetical solution to all the problematic 3D hardware, the 3D diseases panacea)? Because llvmpipe (the new software rendererer in Mesa) can't deal with clipped redraws and nobody took the time to look what the heck is going on there... since Mesa 7.1! So, for example, Fedora devs and now OpenSUSE's created their own patches to disable that kind of redraws (which, by the way, are not very efficient), and most probably will be the same patch we'll see in Ubuntu Quantal once they drop Unity2D in favour of Unity+software rendering.

That's only a hint of the Mesa mess (Mess-a) :wink:

So my bet is Mesa misbehaving under certain hardware configurations.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

esteban1uy wrote: It is not so hard to make a little survey of the problematic hardware configurations.
If everyone having those freezes posts his "inxi -Fc 0" output we could easily check what they all have in common.

But I have the strong suspicion that all the troubles have the same origin: Mesa

Let's do a little review of the facts:

-In certain systems Cinnamon freezes while doing some simple tasks (Cinnamon strongly depends on Mesa: no Mesa=no Cinnamon).
-Firefox freezes in certain pages (Firefox uses WebGL that depends on Mesa).
-LibreOffice with Java enabled freezes (Java depends on LibGL, a central component of Mesa).
-Some Java based programs freeze (vide supra).
-Ubuntu + XFCE freezes (XCFE uses Mesa dependent libraries if compositing is enabled).
-It seems to be kernel independent.
-There have been reports of some very suspicious similar symptoms in other major distributions (do a search at Fedora forums, Gentoo, Debian, OpenSUSE, etc.)
-There are no freezes in Mint 12!

So, what is that Mesa thing?
It's the part of a Linux system that deals with 3D graphics, and at the same time, probably the most complex piece of software after the Linux kernel.
But the problem is not its intricacy, but its messiness, or paraphrasing Linux Torvalds on Gnome3: its unholy messiness.

Did you know that, at the its current state, you cannot compile Mesa from source packages in Ubuntu 12.04 or any of its derivatives (like Mint 13)?
One of the things we are proud in Linux is that you can always download the source packages provided by your distribution, modify them, patch them, recompile and install. Even a child can do that. You can even do that with the hyper-complex Linux kernel without any trouble... but not for Mesa in its current state!

Somebody (who knows) removed some very important dependencies (nouveau in libdrm is one of them) form the sources of the "stable" release of Mesa, so if you want to patch it, modify it, tweak it, etc., you won't be able to recompile it. The only thing you can do is to move to the "experimental" branch or you may take your time to "backport" by hand all those dependencies.

Why Cinnamon, Gnome-shell and Unity are so glitchy with the default software rendering (the hypothetical solution to all the problematic 3D hardware)? Because llvmpipe (the new software rendererer in Mesa) can't deal with clipped redraws and nobody took the time to look what the heck is going on there... since Mesa 7.1! So, for example, Fedora devs and now OpenSUSE's created their own patches to disable that kind of redraws (which, by the way, are not very efficient), and most probably will be the same patch we'll see in Ubuntu Quantal once they drop Unity2D in favour of Unity+software rendering.

That's only a hint of the Mesa mess (Mess-a) :wink:

So my bet is Mesa misbehaving under certain hardware configurations.
A fine explanation, esteban1uy, and it explains a lot. So I'll start with the hardware specs of my Thinkpad R61 using the output of "inxi -Fc 0". It seems to fit into your explanation:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fc 0
System:    Host: maya-ThinkPad-R61 Kernel: 3.2.0-23-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Machine:   System: LENOVO (portable) product: 7735DB7 version: ThinkPad R61
           Mobo: LENOVO model: 7735DB7 Bios: LENOVO version: 7KETC1WW (2.21 ) date: 07/01/2008
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7100 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary) 
           X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x800@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 965GM x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.2
Audio:     Card: Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.24
Network:   Card-1: Intel 82566MC Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e 
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: 00:1e:37:d9:cd:ef
           Card-2: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection driver: iwl3945 
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 00:1f:3c:92:cd:2d
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 100.0GB (7.4% used) 1: /dev/sda HITACHI_HTS72201 100.0GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 92G used: 6.9G (8%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 2.14GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 49.0C mobo: 39.0C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 0 
Info:      Processes: 141 Uptime: 10 min Memory: 397.9/
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

esteban1uy wrote:-There are no freezes in Mint 12!
Mint 12 with its default Gnome 3 desktop also depends on hardware 3D acceleration. (Except when running Mate or Gnome Classic of course)

Of course, if you are running a proprietary graphics driver, you don't use Mesa. @esteban1uy: Have you checked the inxi outputs in this thread for proprietary drivers (i.e. no Mesa in the GLX Version)? If the proprietary drivers are indeed absent, then it'll be mesa related.
However it seems highly hardware dependent, as many graphics cards just work fine with mesa (open-source 3D drivers) in Cinnamon.
Last edited by AlbertP on Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

AlbertP wrote:
Mint 12 with its default Gnome 3 desktop is just as much Mesa dependent as Cinnamon. Except when running Mate or Gnome Classic.

Of course, if you are running a proprietary graphics driver, you don't use Mesa. @esteban1uy: Have you checked the inxi outputs in this thread for proprietary drivers (i.e. no Mesa in the GLX Version)? If the proprietary drivers are indeed absent, then it'll be mesa related.
However it seems highly hardware dependent, as many graphics cards just work fine with mesa (open-source 3D drivers) in Cinnamon.
I believe it's the mesa installed in Ubuntu 12.04 that's the culprit, not the mesa installed in Ubuntu 11.10. That's what I get from esteban1uy's explanation anyway.
kruijf
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kruijf »

For me whit the nightly build so far so good, no freezes yet.
Even not whit LO whit Java on, and the game tanki online.

inxi -Fc 0
System:    Host: bas-Aspire-5749 Kernel: 3.2.0-26-generic-pae i686 (32 bit) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Machine:   System: Acer (portable) product: Aspire 5749 version: V1.05
           Mobo: Acer model: HMA51_HR Bios: INSYDE version: V1.05 date: 07/28/2011
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i3-2330M CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz 3: 800.00 MHz 4: 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller 
           X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 8.0.2
Audio:     Card: Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: 1.0.24
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter driver: rtl8192ce 
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 74:de:2b:01:69:79
           Card-2: Atheros AR8152 v2.0 Fast Ethernet driver: atl1c 
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: e8:9a:8f:c0:0e:5b
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (12.3% used) 1: /dev/sda ST9500325AS 500.1GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 9.8G used: 4.5G (49%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 452G used: 53G (13%) fs: ext4 
           ID: swap-1 size: 4.29GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 45.0C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 170 Uptime: 12:22 Memory: 738.8/3874.1MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.33

dropbox

Linux steunpunt Soest

esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by esteban1uy »

Ok, here we go...

donlinux:
Inspiron 1525N.
Computer
Processor 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5450 @ 1.66GHz
Memory 2052MB (563MB used)
Operating System Linux Mint 13 Maya
Display
Resolution 1280x800 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) 965GM x86/MMX/SSE2
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Multimedia
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
Votritis:
Mint13 Cinnamon 32
Pentium M 1,73G
1,5G ram
Intel 915 graphics
jimakt:
Dual Core E5300 2.6
intel G31/G33
3 GB memory
ddaniel:
Graphics: Card-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Seymour [Radeon HD 6400M Series]
X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1600x900@60.1hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 8.0.
ShyGuy:
Core 2 Duo
2gb RAM
Nvidia GTS 250 video (tried both versions of drivers)
donmatas:
System: Host: el-bolido Kernel: 3.2.0-24-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Machine: System: Dell (portable) product: Inspiron 1545
Mobo: Dell model: 0G848F Bios: Dell version: A14 date: 12/07/2009
CPU: Dual core Pentium CPU T4400 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3)
Clock Speeds: 1: 1200.00 MHz 2: 1200.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller
X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@59.6hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.2
Audio: Card: Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.24
Network: Card-1: Broadcom BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY driver: wl
IF: eth1 state: up mac: 70:f1:a1:66:14:60
Card-2: Marvell 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller driver: sky2
IF: eth0 state: down mac: a4:ba:db:b4:74:a2
Drives: HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (84.9% used) 1: /dev/sda TOSHIBA_MK3265GS 320.1GB
Partition: ID: / size: 9.7G used: 4.4G (49%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 274G used: 249G (96%) fs: ext4
ID: swap-1 size: 1.08GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 50.5C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 166 Uptime: 15 min Memory: 793.1/2986.7MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.33
lleiria:
Asus netbook with 1 GB RAM, Intel® Atom™ CPU N450 @ 1.66GHz × 2, graphiics Intel® IGD x86/MMX/SSE2, Linux Maya 32 bits
ias:
Sapphire PI-AM3RS785G motherboard, BIOS ver. 080015
AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor
SAMSUNG HD103UJ 1TB SATA disk
GeForce 9500 GT video card.
8 GB ram
kmb42vt:
System: Host: maya-ThinkPad-R61 Kernel: 3.2.0-23-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Machine: System: LENOVO (portable) product: 7735DB7 version: ThinkPad R61
Mobo: LENOVO model: 7735DB7 Bios: LENOVO version: 7KETC1WW (2.21 ) date: 07/01/2008
CPU: Dual core Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7100 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx)
Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary)
X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x800@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 965GM x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.2
Audio: Card: Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.24
Network: Card-1: Intel 82566MC Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e
IF: eth0 state: down mac: 00:1e:37:d9:cd:ef
Card-2: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection driver: iwl3945
IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 00:1f:3c:92:cd:2d
Drives: HDD Total Size: 100.0GB (7.4% used) 1: /dev/sda HITACHI_HTS72201 100.0GB
Partition: ID: / size: 92G used: 6.9G (8%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 2.14GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 49.0C mobo: 39.0C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 0
Now, what do you think?
esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by esteban1uy »

AlbertP wrote:
Mint 12 with its default Gnome 3 desktop also depends on hardware 3D acceleration. (Except when running Mate or Gnome Classic of course)
Sorry, I mean Mesa > 8.0.
Linux Mint 12 still uses Mesa ver. 7.11.
KoHoSo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KoHoSo »

kmb42vt wrote:
esteban1uy wrote: If everyone having those freezes posts his "inxi -Fc 0" output we could easily check what they all have in common.
OK, here you go! I hope this helps because I'm not sure I should try the "fix" now linked in the first post (not sure what it will do due to lack of experience with GNU/Linux) but these freeze-ups are about to make me throw my monitor out the window. :(

FYI, this is for a self-built computer with some parts as old as 2006.

System:    Host: Compy65 Kernel: 3.2.0-23-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: CROSSHAIR version: 1.XX Bios: Phoenix version: ASUS CROSSHAIR 1207 date: 08/26/2008
CPU:       Dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 svm) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 2209.936 MHz 2: 2209.936 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Cedar PRO [Radeon HD 5450] 
           X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1680x1050@59.9hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CEDAR GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.2
Audio:     Card-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Cedar HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5400/6300 Series] driver: snd_hda_intel
           Card-2: Creative driver: USB Audio
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: 1.0.24
Network:   Card-1: NVIDIA MCP55 Ethernet driver: forcedeth 
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: 00:15:f2:f4:77:aa
           Card-2: NVIDIA MCP55 Ethernet driver: forcedeth 
           IF: eth1 state: down mac: 00:15:f2:f4:77:ab
           Card-3: Ralink RT3572 Wireless Adapter driver: rt2870 
           IF: ra0 state: up mac: 78:44:76:8d:ba:8f
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 492.1GB (63.0% used) 1: /dev/sda ST3250620AS 250.1GB 
           2: /dev/sdb ST3160827AS 160.0GB 3: /dev/sdc Maxtor_6Y080M0 82.0GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 229G used: 195G (90%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 4.29GB used: 0.01GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 46.0C mobo: 45.0C gpu: 60.5 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 3308 
Info:      Processes: 155 Uptime: 22:13 Memory: 1176.4/3530.3MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.33
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

@ esteban1uy: Two of the people are on Nvidia. But you are right, the majority is using Mesa 8 - the only one with AMD graphics is using the open-source driver so Mesa 8 as well.

It's not related to the introduction of OpenGL 3 in Mesa 8, as there are also people with only OpenGL 2.1 or 1.4 support in this thread.

Return to “Newbie Questions”