[Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Re: System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by kmb42vt »

starbreaker wrote:Final release, clean install. My laptop is a Lenovo 3000 N200 with Windows XP, Xubuntu 12.04 (also clean install) and LM 13 Cinnamon.
Could you list the basic specs of your machine and was it the 32 or 64 bit LM 13/Cinnamon release? The 3000 N200 came with different hardware setups.

"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
starbreaker

Post by starbreaker »

kmb42vt wrote:
starbreaker wrote:Final release, clean install. My laptop is a Lenovo 3000 N200 with Windows XP, Xubuntu 12.04 (also clean install) and LM 13 Cinnamon.
Could you list the basic specs of your machine and was it the 32 or 64 bit LM 13/Cinnamon release? The 3000 N200 came with different hardware setups.

32 bit
1GB ram
Intel® Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2370 @ 1.73GHz × 2
GeForce Go 7300/PCIe/SSE2
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

One other thing that might be a significant factor. Are "Effects" enabled or not?
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

starbreaker wrote:
kmb42vt wrote:

32 bit
1GB ram
Intel® Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2370 @ 1.73GHz × 2
GeForce Go 7300/PCIe/SSE2
Thanks!
starbreaker

Post by starbreaker »

kmb42vt wrote:One other thing that might be a significant factor. Are "Effects" enabled or not?
Effects are disabled, hot corner is enabled and window shadows are enabled.
felixfwk

Post by felixfwk »

i also have the same problem in my PC and notebook after upgrading to mint 13 (32bit). When i used mint 10 to 12 (with cinnamon), I didn't find any freezing problems. But now both computers freezes every 30-50 mins. I hope you can find the problems. thx
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

felixfwk wrote:i also have the same problem in my PC and notebook after upgrading to mint 13 (32bit). When i used mint 10 to 12 (with cinnamon), I didn't find any freezing problems. But now both computers freezes every 30-50 mins. I hope you can find the problems. thx
It would be good if you can post the specs of both machines and which version of LM 13/Cinnamon you have installed (32 or 64 bit). Al;so whether LM13 was a clean install. Thanks.
starbreaker

Post by starbreaker »

esteban1uy wrote:There's something pretty easy that everyone could try: burn a DVD with the iso image of Maya Cinnamon and just boot your machine with it. Then use it for a while and try to reproduce the conditions that fires the freeze.
If there's no freeze using the Live-DVD, then it's a post-install (software) problem. If the freeze persists in live mode, then it's a hardware incompatibility issue.

There's no need to mess with new kernels or java packages or any other kind of obscure workarounds, just try the live mode!
So far live is working without a hitch. Changed everything to my liking (panel layout, fonts, cinnamon theme etc) and Writer works normally.
MSeries

Post by MSeries »

clatworthy wrote:Okay, story so far, based on stuff from the web and various ubuntu/mint forums...

Here's my test - guaranteed to crash the system. Open Writer (not Calc), add a table, insert text into the cells, Ctrl C and Ctrl V a few times and hey presto, all you can do is move your mouse/cursor around the screen. Ctrl+Alt+Backspace is all that can be done.
GOOD NEWS - The recovery of Office is perfect.

My experience is as above, I am seeing the freeze problem only with documents that contain tables, just words seem to be OK,
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

starbreaker wrote:
esteban1uy wrote:There's something pretty easy that everyone could try: burn a DVD with the iso image of Maya Cinnamon and just boot your machine with it. Then use it for a while and try to reproduce the conditions that fires the freeze.
If there's no freeze using the Live-DVD, then it's a post-install (software) problem. If the freeze persists in live mode, then it's a hardware incompatibility issue.

There's no need to mess with new kernels or java packages or any other kind of obscure workarounds, just try the live mode!
So far live is working without a hitch. Changed everything to my liking (panel layout, fonts, cinnamon theme etc) and Writer works normally.
Great!
That's extremely useful information.
So, the key is something you've installed AFTER the definitive installation of Maya (software or upgrade).
And it's not directly related to Cinnamon because it was not updated since Maya's release.

The next step is to review what you did after the installation of Maya.
starbreaker

Post by starbreaker »

Well, it started freezing almost immediately after the install. The only thing I added right after installation was docky. That's when I began noticing the freezing. At first I thought it was Docky's fault, but since that first day I haven't been using it at all and the problem is still there. Apart from that I installed GIMP 2.8, but the freezing predates that.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

starbreaker wrote:Well, it started freezing almost immediately after the install. The only thing I added right after installation was docky. That's when I began noticing the freezing. At first I thought it was Docky's fault, but since that first day I haven't been using it at all and the problem is still there. Apart from that I installed GIMP 2.8, but the freezing predates that.

I guess the question is then, is Docky still installed? If it is then it might not matter whether you use it or not. The app and all it's dependencies are still installed and that might be what's affecting the system, not the actual use of it.

Even if you removed Docky the dependencies are still installed unless you ran "sudo apt-get autoremove" after you removed Docky.

Just passing on some info is all. :)
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

Well, well, well...
It seems that both Docky and Cairo-dock are messing Maya Cinnamon installations.
Take a look at this: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=104072
Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

Interesting. I'm running Mint 13 Cinnamon with Cairo Dock and no problems. 64 Bit here, with Nvidia proprietary driver. I have had the one solitary freeze a week ago, but that was before I installed Cairo Dock and was easily got out of with alt-sysrq-k. It was as you describe here in this thread though. Screen froze, mouse still moveable.

But other than that once, no problems at all. I don't think it was Cairo Dock causing that poster's problem Esteban. Sounds to me like this is all MDM related somehow.
LooseWingnut

Post by LooseWingnut »

If anyone is really eager to use Cinnamon, I'd suggest installing Ubuntu 12.04 and grabbing the Cinnamon stable PPA with the following in terminal:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cinnamon

You'll want to add the advanced system settings package (advanced settings for Gnome 3) for more granular window decorations and other theming (Mint did a great job with out of the box themes and other settings). I have it running right now on a machine that couldn't get through 5 minutes of a Mint Live session without freezing. The mint Menu and cinnamon settings work perfectly. EDIT: I take that back about advanced settings. It fails to change Window decoration themes. So does Cinnamon settings. I'm not sure how to change stock Cinnamon windows from the Adwaita theme. Gonna look into it.

I'm not trying to knock Mint, but for anyone, like me, who was primarily interested in Cinnamon, this seems like an easy alternative way to get what you're looking for.

EDIT 2: Easy enough to switch window themes. After selecting a theme, go to the settings applet on the panel (right to the left of the network applet) select Troubleshoot > Restart Cinnamon. It's not super convenient, but it's better than logging out and back in.
Last edited by LooseWingnut on Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ulusu

Post by ulusu »

Hi all

I've installed LM13 RC Cinnamon on a desktop system and had the same problems every time I opened LibreOffice Writer and tried to copy/paste anything from any website to the writer.
Then I've read a post in this forum to update the kernel. I updated to kernel 3.3.6-030306-generic and since then no more frezes for me.
Hope this helps.

Greets, uLusu
Last edited by ulusu on Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cowsquad

Re: Re: System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by cowsquad »

LooseWingnut wrote:If anyone is really eager to use Cinnamon, I'd suggest installing Ubuntu 12.04 and grabbing the Cinnamon stable PPA with the following in terminal:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cinnamon

You'll want to add the advanced system settings package (advanced settings for Gnome 3) for more granular window decorations and other theming (Mint did a great job with out of the box themes and other settings). I have it running right now on a machine that couldn't get through 5 minutes of a Mint Live session without freezing. The mint Menu and cinnamon settings work perfectly.

I'm not trying to knock Mint, but for anyone, like me, who was primarily interested in Cinnamon, this seems like an easy alternative way to get what you're looking for.
I think you are right about switching to Ubuntu. But I hate setting up Java and android sdk. Why did I delete my Ubuntu partition?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
hugo62

Re: Re: System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by hugo62 »

cowsquad wrote:
LooseWingnut wrote:
I think you are right about switching to Ubuntu. But I hate setting up Java and android sdk. Why did I delete my Ubuntu partition?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Hi all,
I wouldn`t do so. :-) On http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/gnome ... riert-ein/ I read about some users having the same problem with 12.04 - standard Ubuntu installation! So it seems to be a general Ubuntu problem?

I'm having the same problem - reading here for two days.
Netbook with Atom N450, Linux Mint Maya 64bit. Discovering the problem I upgraded to kernel 3.3.6-030306-generic. I installed my system after formatting the root partition, afterwards I copied the home partition (former 10.04).
I don't use Libre Office (but it is installed), I had no dock installed when the first freezes appeared (but now docky). What I changed was to add some applets and extensions for the panel. Disabling them didn't avoid the bug.
When I read about that Java probably could cause the freezing I upgraded to openjdk-7 and removed openjdk-6. Sun-Java is not installed.
The system still freezes about four to eight times a day. Using a tty I can reanimate the system by

Code: Select all

killall cinnamon
- I guess that didn't work the first days the freezing appeared, but perhaps I go wrong :?:
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

Did you test your system with a Live-DVD?: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 40#p589956
kannantvm

Post by kannantvm »

Mint 13 cinnamon, Libre Office hangs. problem persists in my Laptop(Lenovo 32 Bit Celeron Machine) as well as Desktop HCL EC2 core 2 Duo 32 Bit Machine. I have installed Standard version of maya(Not RC), had installed quite a few softwares, testdisk, remastersys, unetbootin etc etc. After all that, i used libreoffice , for a simple action, copying a calc sheet to writer, as unformatted text and enclosing it in a table, alas!! SYSTEM FREEZES. Tried kernal upgrade solution. No effect... Any definite solution?????. I dont want to start all over again. Need to rectify this some way..Plz help.

Return to “Beginner Questions”