[Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
esteban1uy

Re: System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by esteban1uy »

neologist wrote:I tried Clem's solution, but it didn't go well. I compiled Cinnamon from git ("master", not "stable") and everything was fine - with no freezes - until the next update notification*. The only package to be updated was precisely Cinnamon, and in the next session after the update there was no inferior panel nor window manager, although I was able to login into a Cinnamon session. I tried everything, but the only way to solve the problem was to purge Cinnamon and Muffin (only removing wouldn't solve it) and get the older versions of them from the repositories.

Where did I go wrong? Should I compile the stable version?

*I restarted the session and Cinnamon as well several times. The trouble came only with the update.
I'm not sure, but you can have the same results just using the Cinnamon-nightly builds from this ppa: https://launchpad.net/~gwendal-lebihan- ... on-nightly

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-nightly
Then edit this file:

gksu gedit /etc/apt/preferences
and add this:

Package: *
Pin: origin ppa.launchpad.net
Pin-Priority: 700
And then:

sudo apt-get update
And you're ready to apply the updates.

By the way, you can also try the new Cinnamon 2D (Cinnamon with software rendering, cinna-pipe for the family):
Rincewind666

Post by Rincewind666 »

https://launchpad.net/~gwendal-lebihan- ... ld/3574216
https://launchpad.net/~gwendal-lebihan- ... ld/3574355

Today I have installed these unstable packages on my 32bit Version of Linux Mint. I'am very happy. JDownloader an TV-Browser started with activatrd Tray-Icon.
But I Dont now about other freezes at this Time.

Greetings Rincewind
agarol

Post by agarol »

I installed the Cinnamon. System freezing all the time; Cinnamon menu just desapeared! Total freezing and unable to do anything at all, only option shut down notebook...
Very sad, I had high expectations about this distro. Now I don't know what to do as I need my computer for WORK, not for GAMES or just chat with the chicks.
hugo62

Post by hugo62 »

agarol wrote:Now I don't know what to do as I need my computer for WORK, not for GAMES or just chat with the chicks.
Did you also try a Gnome Classic login? At least until a fix is out?
donmatas

Post by donmatas »

Penurious Penguin wrote:
donmatas wrote:
Thanks. It seems to much for me. I will wait for an official solution. Until then I will be working with ugly MATE
I am beginning to feel like a ghost. That comment and another a few places below it, indicates that users are still under the impression that this bug excludes Mate. For the many'th time, I am using Mate and have nearly identical problems. While this thread does seem pious to Cinnamon alone, Mate is also in the scrolls. I see from Clem's poll that Cinnamon is the highest rated DM/WM, so I kind of understand this tendency. But Mate is neither "ugly" or excluded from this bug. Mate is, in (subjective) fact, so to the contrary ("ugly"), that I am sticking with Mint because of it (not the bug).

*MSeries, please pardon my former quotation error
I can state that since I have changed my PC to subjective ugly MATE I have not suffered the bug.

saludos
DM
donlinux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by donlinux »

hugo62 wrote:
agarol wrote:Now I don't know what to do as I need my computer for WORK, not for GAMES or just chat with the chicks.
Did you also try a Gnome Classic login? At least until a fix is out?
I've had better luck using mint13 with the mate environment. Try logging in with mate and see if it helps.
donmatas

Post by donmatas »

The importance of our bug still undecided in Launchpad: https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1008197
Could be a good idea to visit the link and click the option "This bug affects 20 people. Does this bug affect you?"
Salud
DM
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

esteban1uy wrote:
By the way, you can also try the new Cinnamon 2D (Cinnamon with software rendering, cinna-pipe for the family):
I take it that the new Cinnamon 2D is included in the nightly version of Cinnamon and not in the LM 13/Cinnamon release? If I recall correctly, Cinnamon 2D was pulled from the LM 13/Cinnamon release because it wasn't ready.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
Myrmidon83

Post by Myrmidon83 »

This might be a silly question, but what are the chances of cinnamon 2d running using the vesa driver? Old unichrome laptop gfx is rubbish and had to run Mint 11 using vesa driver for stability.

Just curious.
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

kmb42vt wrote:I take it that the new Cinnamon 2D is included in the nightly version of Cinnamon and not in the LM 13/Cinnamon release? If I recall correctly, Cinnamon 2D was pulled from the LM 13/Cinnamon release because it wasn't ready.
Yes, it's in nightly builds and Master git.
Myrmidon83 wrote:This might be a silly question, but what are the chances of cinnamon 2d running using the vesa driver? Old unichrome laptop gfx is rubbish and had to run Mint 11 using vesa driver for stability.

Just curious.
Cinnamon-2D is just Cinnamon (exactly the same default Cinnamon we all know) but using software rendering instead of hardware rendering. That means that all the graphic stuff is done at CPU level, not at the graphic card GPU. Of course, the better the CPU you have, the better Cinnamon will perform.

You can read about this here: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... px=MTAxMjI
lleiria
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lleiria »

I also installed cinnamon 14 UP3 following clem's instructions. Until now, I had no freezes. Tried with 3 or 4 libreoffice writer files open simultaneously, opened new files... I just experienced some temporary freezes on libreoffice, but just 2 or 3 seconds...
My experience is with an Asus netbook with 1 GB RAM, Intel® Atom™ CPU N450 @ 1.66GHz × 2, graphiics Intel® IGD x86/MMX/SSE2, Linux Maya 32 bits, only system installed. On two desktops I have LMDE with cinnamon, but never had any problems. :mrgreen:
donmatas

Post by donmatas »

lleiria wrote:I also installed cinnamon 14 UP3 following clem's instructions. Until now, I had no freezes. Tried with 3 or 4 libreoffice writer files open simultaneously, opened new files... I just experienced some temporary freezes on libreoffice, but just 2 or 3 seconds...
My experience is with an Asus netbook with 1 GB RAM, Intel® Atom™ CPU N450 @ 1.66GHz × 2, graphiics Intel® IGD x86/MMX/SSE2, Linux Maya 32 bits, only system installed. On two desktops I have LMDE with cinnamon, but never had any problems. :mrgreen:
By the way, is there in LMDE a simple mode to install privative drivers like in LM (my network controller is BCM 4312)
thanks
M
Emboman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Emboman »

I know there are different reports of this issue, and it may not even be the same issue everyone experiences. I just wanted to add my case as an additional data point for potential investigation:

My Mint 13 system freezes totally (in the GUI it is not possible to move mouse pointer, no keys work, etc.) with random intervals. My system has an Intel Core i7 CPU with 8 GB RAM and an Nvidia graphics card. The system started freezing right after install, that is at the login screen before even logging in the first time. Sometimes, when able to log in, it works fine for hours, and then it freezes. If I just leave it at the login screen it will still freeze eventually, never more than half a day between. So my issue has nothing to do with any installed programs such as LibreOffice of JDownloader. I also tried switching login session from Cinnamon to Gnome Classic (or whatever else the other option was, my system is down right now and I don't remember exactly), but it still freezes, so it may not be very Cinnamon-specific in my case.

Note that when I am logged in via an SSH connection in a terminal from another host I can still do stuff there, so it is just the GUI which freezes. I have, after the first couple of freezes, updated Mint with latest packages from the default repositories, to no avail.
pere

Post by pere »

I have installed latest Cinnamon 1.4-UP3, but I tried to play a video on firefox and I still have the same problem. Session closes and I go back to login screen. This is my syslog.

Jun 15 02:19:20 pere kernel: [ 2769.856232] Xorg[1289] general protection ip:7fad69feb6a9 sp:7fff5ad89c30 error:0 in nvidia_drv.so[7fad69f8a000+6e0000]
Jun 15 02:19:20 pere gnome-session[1587]: Gdk-WARNING: gnome-session: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.#012
Jun 15 02:19:20 pere mdm[1268]: WARNING: mdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0
Jun 15 02:19:21 pere acpid: client 1289[0:0] has disconnected
Jun 15 02:19:21 pere acpid: client 1289[0:0] has disconnected
Jun 15 02:19:21 pere acpid: client connected from 32576[0:0]
Jun 15 02:19:21 pere acpid: 1 client rule loaded
Jun 15 02:19:23 pere acpid: client connected from 32576[0:0]
Jun 15 02:19:23 pere acpid: 1 client rule loaded
Processor: 4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz
Memory: 16425MB (1275MB used)
Resolution : 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer: GeForce 9800 GT/PCIe/SSE2
X11 Vendor: The X.Org Foundation
Audio Adapter: AV200 - Xonar STX
Audio Adapter: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
mojosmail2003

Post by mojosmail2003 »

Sorry to hear, that the Cinnamon 1.4up3 update only solved it for some of you. I haven't had a single freeze since I did the update a week ago. Just installed Linux mint 13 on a different computer, which initially had the libreoffice freezing issue (heavy scrolling in Calc), but the update fixed this as well. A quick check to see if the 1.4up3 was installed succesfully (at least the current version), would be to try to use one of the newer features. E.g. press ctrl+alt+down and check if one can move between the windows using arrow keys and select a window by pressing enter.
Darksun

Post by Darksun »

clem wrote:Hi,

You guys are doing great at troubleshooting this. The cause of the problem isn't precise enough for us to fix anything yet, but we're working on Cinnamon at the moment and we might have some good news. Although the latest Cinnamon (pre-1.5) isn't ready to be packaged and released into Mint, it already is working and it features many of the changes from Gnome Shell 3.4.

I'm not suggesting you all go and compile it, but maybe some of you can do it and provide debs to others, or at the very least give it a try and see if it fixes things. I wrote a quick tutorial to show how to compile the latest muffin/cinnamon in Linux Mint 13: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/955

At the moment if you compile muffin and cinnamon from their "master" branch (i.e. if you follow the tutorial without specifying any branch) you'll end up with a muffin pre-1.0.4 (which calls itself 1.0.4) and a cinnamon pre-1.5 (which calls itself 1.4-UP3).
I've followed these instructions and I've not had any crashes in the past couple of days so it seems to have worked. A couple of questions though - will muffin/cinnamon continue to automatically update when newer stable versions are released?

Also, I've had a problem with certain keyboard shortcuts since I've compiled the updated versions, I can't launch applications such as terminal with any keyboard shortcuts, but things like hide all windows and alt tab still work. Is this a bug or is it due to something I did when compiling? And if it is a bug then is it with muffin or is it cinnamon itself?
water spirit

Post by water spirit »

I have been following this thread and I am experiencing freezing, total crashes and sometimes the desktop disappears momentarily then reappears.
This is with Mint 13 Cinnamon 64 bit. So I have 4 linux partitions on this Laptop and installed Ubuntu 12.04 without Cinnamon and the problems happened with that as well, not always identical but similar.
Then I installed Kubuntu 12.04 and no problems, then Sabayon 9 Gnome, no Cinnamon, no problems, deleted Ubuntu and installed Sabayon 9 Gnome and Cinnamon and have been using it now for 4 days and no problems.
Sabayon 9 is still using Gnome 3.2.1, Cinnamon 1.4 r1 and Kernel 3.4.0-Sabayon.
grndplane
Level 4
Level 4
Location: Sunny California - Where everything cost's twice what it should.

Re: System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon *** Resolved ***

Post by grndplane »

See my post on page 2 of this thread. Its been 3 days on the liquorix kernel with no problems.
-grndplane (Mike)
Linux Mint 21.x 64-bit
Kernel: 6.X-liquorix-amd64
WM: LeftWM
grndplane
Level 4
Level 4
Location: Sunny California - Where everything cost's twice what it should.

duplicate

Post by grndplane »

duplicate
-grndplane (Mike)
Linux Mint 21.x 64-bit
Kernel: 6.X-liquorix-amd64
WM: LeftWM
gillmt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gillmt »

Every time I try to edit a table in Libre Office, everything freezes up although the mouse cursor moves, I cannot activate anything and have to restart with alr+ctrl+bcksp. The only way to edit Libre Office tables is to log in to a Gnome session (without effect - I haven't tried with effects)
Last edited by gillmt on Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Beginner Questions”