[Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Locked
jediafr
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by jediafr »

One test i did : install a gnome-independent D.E and no crashes (openoffice insert table + vlc fullscreen + java applications successfully test ).

So i think that MDM should not be the main culprit here (mostly Cinnamon badly interacting with something_TM).

CoreI5/750 / 4 gig / Nvidia drivers / 32bits cinnamon edition.
LooseWingnut
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:09 pm

Re: System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by LooseWingnut »

jediafr wrote:One test i did : install a gnome-independent D.E and no crashes (openoffice insert table + vlc fullscreen + java applications successfully test ).

So i think that MDM should not be the main culprit here (mostly Cinnamon badly interacting with something_TM).

CoreI5/750 / 4 gig / Nvidia drivers / 32bits cinnamon edition.
This is my guess, too. I've had a dozen debian/ubuntu-based distros on one of my laptops and never had an issue. Mint is the first. And I've had crashes where the only difference is Cinnamon -- my work laptop has Cinnamon, no MDM, and still locked up (though it only did so once).
User avatar
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 978
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:15 am
Location: Vermont
Contact:

Re: System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by kmb42vt »

Well now, installed a rather large amount of updates to LM 13/Cinnamon this morning, all but one were from Ubuntu repos. The one from Mint was for "mint-artwork-common". Ironically enough, I haven't been able to crash the LM 13/Cinnamon install on my old Thinkpad R61 that I was able to crash several times last night when using tables in LibreOffice Writer.

I haven't really had a whole lot of time this morning to do any extensive testing or research on the Ubuntu side of things, work calls and all that. So, has today's updates helped anyone else with this freezing problem?
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
User avatar
esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 733
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:20 am

Re: System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by esteban1uy »

LooseWingnut wrote:
jediafr wrote:One test i did : install a gnome-independent D.E and no crashes (openoffice insert table + vlc fullscreen + java applications successfully test ).

So i think that MDM should not be the main culprit here (mostly Cinnamon badly interacting with something_TM).

CoreI5/750 / 4 gig / Nvidia drivers / 32bits cinnamon edition.
This is my guess, too. I've had a dozen debian/ubuntu-based distros on one of my laptops and never had an issue. Mint is the first. And I've had crashes where the only difference is Cinnamon -- my work laptop has Cinnamon, no MDM, and still locked up (though it only did so once).
Well, let's use some logic. Instead of posing the problem as Cinnamon interfering with something, the most likely to be is something interfering with the normal functioning of Cinnamon.
Otherwise you can not explain how there are hundreds, probably thousands of happy Maya Cinnamon Mint users who have not had, so far, not even a single problem, not a single hiccup or any such thing while using their desktops.
That's my case. Since my Maya Cinnamon installation (exactly the same day it was released) it worked and still works flawlessly. And believe me, I don't have some kind of special machine, just a very modest Lenovo B570 with integrated Intel graphics.

So the key is to gather enough information from each user experiencing the problem and figure out what they have in common and what differentiates them from the unaffected users.
Sorry, I only speak Spanish
jimakt
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:39 am

Re: System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by jimakt »

well my system is freezing with live cd also...
i have:
Dual Core E5300 2.6
intel G31/G33
3 GB memory
ddaniel
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:17 pm

Re: System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by ddaniel »

esteban1uy wrote: Well, let's use some logic. Instead of posing the problem as Cinnamon interfering with something, the most likely to be is something interfering with the normal functioning of Cinnamon.
This is very likely a cinnamon problem. Gui hang under cinnamon is always reproducible. On the other hand the same issue on the same way is not possible to reproduce in gnome 3 session. Gnome 3 simply refuse to hang. I doubt this is a kernel issue while I tried this on a various kernels and problem stays the same.There is no errors in /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/i915_error_state when gui freezes, using 3.4.0 kernel. There is no error in Xorg log, using xorg from xorg-edgers. I upgrade x server and mesa using xorg-edgers and problem persist to exist only it takes more time to reproduce it. This logic says it must be a cinnamon bug.
User avatar
esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 733
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:20 am

Re: System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by esteban1uy »

ddaniel wrote:
esteban1uy wrote: Well, let's use some logic. Instead of posing the problem as Cinnamon interfering with something, the most likely to be is something interfering with the normal functioning of Cinnamon.
This is very likely a cinnamon problem. Gui hang under cinnamon is always reproducible. On the other hand the same issue on the same way is not possible to reproduce in gnome 3 session. Gnome 3 simply refuse to hang. I doubt this is a kernel issue while I tried this on a various kernels and problem stays the same.There is no errors in /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/i915_error_state when gui freezes, using 3.4.0 kernel. There is no error in Xorg log, using xorg from xorg-edgers. I upgrade x server and mesa using xorg-edgers and problem persist to exist only it takes more time to reproduce it. This logic says it must be a cinnamon bug.
Ok, and how do you explain there are people not experiencing the bug?
Sorry, I only speak Spanish
ddaniel
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:17 pm

Re: System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by ddaniel »

esteban1uy wrote: Ok, and how do you explain there are people not experiencing the bug?
I also don't experience this bug unless I force it. My cinnamon session works just fine, especially since I upgraded my x server and kernel, but this doesn't mean that there is no problem. I can always reproduce this hang if I open libreoffice writter and open a large document ie. few hundredth pages. Then I scroll it at fast as i can till gui hangs. While I do that my gpu temp starts to rise. In gnome 3 session my gpu temp is rising but gui doesn't hang. It is also possible to hang cinnamon session if you watch flv video in firefox. It takes time to gpu temp rise but it will eventually hang cinnamon session. I use graphics drivers shipped with xorg. Perhaps people whose gui doesn't hang doesn't tiring enough to hang it. :D
User avatar
esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 733
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:20 am

Re: System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by esteban1uy »

ddaniel wrote:
esteban1uy wrote: Ok, and how do you explain there are people not experiencing the bug?
I also don't experience this bug unless I force it. My cinnamon session works just fine, especially since I upgraded my x server and kernel, but this doesn't mean that there is no problem. I can always reproduce this hang if I open libreoffice writter and open a large document ie. few hundredth pages. Then I scroll it at fast as i can till gui hangs. While I do that my gpu temp starts to rise. In gnome 3 session my gpu temp is rising but gui doesn't hang. It is also possible to hang cinnamon session if you watch flv video in firefox. It takes time to gpu temp rise but it will eventually hang cinnamon session. I use graphics drivers shipped with xorg. Perhaps people whose gui doesn't hang doesn't tiring enough to hang it. :D
I see. I'll try my best to reproduce the bug in my system (open a very big .doc file in Writter and fast scroll, watch a high definition flv in Firefox, play OpenArena as fast as I could, etc.) and then post my findings.
Great tip!
Sorry, I only speak Spanish
MSeries
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:15 pm

Re: System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by MSeries »

esteban1uy wrote: Ok, and how do you explain there are people not experiencing the bug?
*I* suspect they haven't yet come across it. It's only happened to me on two occasions when not editing a table in Libre Office writer
MSeries
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:15 pm

Re: System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by MSeries »

kmb42vt wrote:Well now, installed a rather large amount of updates to LM 13/Cinnamon this morning, all but one were from Ubuntu repos. The one from Mint was for "mint-artwork-common". Ironically enough, I haven't been able to crash the LM 13/Cinnamon install on my old Thinkpad R61 that I was able to crash several times last night when using tables in LibreOffice Writer.

I haven't really had a whole lot of time this morning to do any extensive testing or research on the Ubuntu side of things, work calls and all that. So, has today's updates helped anyone else with this freezing problem?
Seems to have helped me. I just applied the updates and did some 'tests', so far I am still here whereas yesterday I was able to break it within moments. (just need to have the bluetooth fixed now)
ddaniel
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:17 pm

Re: System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by ddaniel »

esteban1uy wrote: I see. I'll try my best to reproduce the bug in my system (open a very big .doc file in Writter and fast scroll, watch a high definition flv in Firefox, play OpenArena as fast as I could, etc.) and then post my findings.
Great tip!
You don't have to be a sarcastic. There is a problem with a cinnamon and I'm not a only guy that experience this problem. I tried to strace cinnamon but I got a 55 mb file and I'm not sure is it worth anything.
hugo62
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:17 pm

Re: System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by hugo62 »

It seems my system is stable now - for about 2 days - but perhaps crashes after sending this post, who knows? :-)

@esteban1uy
I never had any freezing problem on a live system before - I tried it at least an hour before I changed from Ubuntu 10.04 32bit to LM13 Cinnamon 64bit.

What did I do?

I upgraded to Openjdk-7 incl. Icedtea-7 and purged Openjdk-6 incl. Icedtea-6.
Then I tried the following:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Then I switched to kernel 3.3.6-030306-generic and also tried:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure mdm
I removed all ALT+TAB-preferences I added before via Cinnamon Settings.

Additionally there were some system-updates yesterday and today.

Docky is still installed and also I'm using Java-programs, Firefox and Thunderbird. A test last night working with a table in Libre Writer incl. copying and pasting didn't either crash Cinnamon.
MSeries
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:15 pm

Re: System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by MSeries »

I spoke too soon, I'm still crashing :(
User avatar
esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 733
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:20 am

Re: System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by esteban1uy »

ddaniel wrote:
esteban1uy wrote: I see. I'll try my best to reproduce the bug in my system (open a very big .doc file in Writter and fast scroll, watch a high definition flv in Firefox, play OpenArena as fast as I could, etc.) and then post my findings.
Great tip!
You don't have to be a sarcastic. There is a problem with a cinnamon and I'm not a only guy that experience this problem. I tried to strace cinnamon but I got a 55 mb file and I'm not sure is it worth anything.
I'm not sarcastic, I honestly believe you.
My findings:
-Played these two HD flash movies in Firefox and nothing happened:
http://www.vimeo.com/1084537
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YE7VzlLtp-4
-Downloaded the Linux Dictionary (2684 pages), opened in Writter and scrolled as fast as possible, nothing happened too: http://tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Dictionary/Li ... ary.txt.gz
-Then 15 minutes of OpenArena, full screen, killed a couple of guys, guys killed me a lot of times, no freeze.
Sorry, I only speak Spanish
MSeries
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:15 pm

Re: System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by MSeries »

Here's my syslog after a moment of scrolling the Linux Dictionary

Code: Select all

Jun  8 19:26:09 gimondi gnome-session[9957]: Gdk-WARNING: gnome-session: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.#012
Jun  8 19:26:09 gimondi mdm[9925]: WARNING: mdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0
Jun  8 19:26:13 gimondi acpid: client 9934[0:0] has disconnected
Jun  8 19:26:13 gimondi acpid: client 9934[0:0] has disconnected
Jun  8 19:26:13 gimondi acpid: client connected from 11149[0:0]
Jun  8 19:26:13 gimondi acpid: 1 client rule loaded
Jun  8 19:26:14 gimondi acpid: client connected from 11149[0:0]
Jun  8 19:26:14 gimondi acpid: 1 client rule loaded
Jun  8 19:26:23 gimondi rtkit-daemon[1718]: Successfully made thread 11304 of process 11304 (n/a) owned by '1000' high priority at nice level -11.
Jun  8 19:26:23 gimondi rtkit-daemon[1718]: Supervising 1 threads of 1 processes of 1 users.
Jun  8 19:26:23 gimondi pulseaudio[11304]: [pulseaudio] pid.c: Stale PID file, overwriting.
Jun  8 19:26:27 gimondi rtkit-daemon[1718]: Successfully made thread 11380 of process 11304 (n/a) owned by '1000' RT at priority 5.
Jun  8 19:26:27 gimondi rtkit-daemon[1718]: Supervising 2 threads of 1 processes of 1 users.
Jun  8 19:26:27 gimondi rtkit-daemon[1718]: Successfully made thread 11381 of process 11304 (n/a) owned by '1000' RT at priority 5.
Jun  8 19:26:27 gimondi rtkit-daemon[1718]: Supervising 3 threads of 1 processes of 1 users.
ddaniel
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:17 pm

Re: System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by ddaniel »

esteban1uy wrote: -Downloaded the Linux Dictionary (2684 pages), opened in Writter and scrolled as fast as possible, nothing happened too: http://tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Dictionary/Li ... ary.txt.gz
Oke. I did the same thing. I downloaded this dictionary open it in libreoffice and cinnamon hangs. I will try it now under gnome 3 to see will it hang again.
ddaniel
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:17 pm

Re: System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by ddaniel »

I did the same thing under gnome 3 and gui doesn't hang. The same file, the same libreoffice config and it's working just fine. And what now ? Do you have any ideas how to find what is causing this problem?
User avatar
esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 733
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:20 am

Re: System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by esteban1uy »

MSeries wrote:

Code: Select all

Jun  8 19:26:09 gimondi gnome-session[9957]: Gdk-WARNING: gnome-session: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.#012
Jun  8 19:26:09 gimondi mdm[9925]: WARNING: mdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0
This has been a constant all through this thread. When I look in my syslog for something like that, I find nothing.
ddaniel wrote:I did the same thing under gnome 3 and gui doesn't hang.
When you say Gnome 3, do you mean Gnome-shell or Gnome-classic (fallback)?
Last edited by esteban1uy on Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry, I only speak Spanish
ddaniel
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:17 pm

Re: System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by ddaniel »

esteban1uy wrote: When you say Gnome 3, do you mean Gnome-shell or Gnome-classic (fallback)?
I mean gnome-shell not a classic. I grep my syslog and found out that I have the same syslog errors as the Mseries posted before.
Locked

Return to “Newbie Questions”