[Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
MSeries
Level 1
Level 1

Re: System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by MSeries »

clem wrote:Hi,

You guys are doing great at troubleshooting this. The cause of the problem isn't precise enough for us to fix anything yet, but we're working on Cinnamon at the moment and we might have some good news. Although the latest Cinnamon (pre-1.5) isn't ready to be packaged and released into Mint, it already is working and it features many of the changes from Gnome Shell 3.4.

I'm not suggesting you all go and compile it, but maybe some of you can do it and provide debs to others, or at the very least give it a try and see if it fixes things. I wrote a quick tutorial to show how to compile the latest muffin/cinnamon in Linux Mint 13: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/955

At the moment if you compile muffin and cinnamon from their "master" branch (i.e. if you follow the tutorial without specifying any branch) you'll end up with a muffin pre-1.0.4 (which calls itself 1.0.4) and a cinnamon pre-1.5 (which calls itself 1.4-UP3).
I tried this procedure this evening and so far so good I have not yet had any freezes. I was able to force the freeze by editing a LO Writer document containing a large table, after this change this does not happen.

One side effect is that I have no background (transparent background) on the tool tip popups when I hover over something in my panel.

EDIT:
After I did this for the first time I had to refresh my disk from the image so I had to go through the process again. I attempted to just install the debs created first time round but it complained about a missing dependency. I thus had to get the packages first then the installation of the deb worked.
Last edited by MSeries on Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Stel »

Installing the 1.6.0_32 version of Java, as described by neologist in page 3, solved the problem for me. Perhaps there are more that one reasons for those freezes, but that was the solution that worked im my case.

starbreaker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by starbreaker »

Installing Java didn't do anything for me, but after that I installed LightDM and so far I am unable to freeze the system deliberately using the table method with Writer. Will report back if anything changes.

jediafr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jediafr »

After a brief respite, the freeze came back (after reboot).
I'm a user of Jdownloader (fixed by installing Oracle Jre 6) / cinnamon 32bits / Nvidia propr. drivers.

I installed the cinnamon from git according to Clem's instructions (very clear except for git and gnome-common installations required but not mentioned).
It is very easy to do folks but be aware that you loose ability to use cinnamon tuning for now.

I'll report if this cinnamon GIT is solving the freeze issue for me (i touch some wood).

kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Yet another Cinnamon damage report.

1. A few moments ago my desktop froze while accessing the LinuxMint Forum. Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to recover yet again.
2. The freeze after using LibreOffice Writer when inserting a table and editing it seems to be well documented - but it only happens in Cinnamon. There is no freeze when using Gnome and there is no freeze in LinuxMint 12 with Gnome.
3. Radiotray has limited functionality in Cinnamon but works fully in Gnome.
4. Calibre is unusable in Cinnamon but works perfectly in Gnome.
5. Menu entries with their icons vanish randomly.

Does anyone really think that MDM is "elegant"?

You can tell that I am somewhat annoyed about what has happened to my favourite Linux, can't you!
I will go back to my fall-back mode = LinuxMint 12 with Gnome while all this is repaired.
If I can help test, please advise.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon - 64bit

kannantvm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kannantvm »

Installed Cinnamon 1.4 UP3 from http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/gw ... e/cinnamon But Unfortunately no use, libreoffice writer still freezes on scrolling

donlinux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by donlinux »

I have come to the conclusion that this version of Mint, as it stands now is not usable. (as noted by all of the posts on this freezing subject)
Too many freezes, too much lost time in duplicating work lost at freeze.
Simple spreadsheet work today caused 6 freezes in less than an hour.
Seems to work OK with mate, but, to me, mate is not as polished as Cinnamon.
I will muddle through this, ctrl-s-ing every few seconds until such time as a definitive fix is found and will not update my friends/families additional 12 computers until then.
Unfortunately, this is my business computer that I waited for the official LTS before doing a clean install....thought I was safe.

Inspiron 1525N.
Computer
Processor 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5450 @ 1.66GHz
Memory 2052MB (563MB used)
Operating System Linux Mint 13 Maya
Display
Resolution 1280x800 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) 965GM x86/MMX/SSE2
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Multimedia
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA Intel

ddaniel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ddaniel »

donlinux wrote:I have come to the conclusion that this version of Mint, as it stands now is not usable. (as noted by all of the posts on this freezing subject)
Too many freezes, too much lost time in duplicating work lost at freeze.
Simple spreadsheet work today caused 6 freezes in less than an hour.
There are some things mentioned in this thread which can help you to minimize the damage till solving this issue. When you get cinnamon freez you can switch to console and do

top -u _your_username | grep cinnamon
kill -9 cinnamon_pid

Switch back to gui and you session will be unfreezed and you can save your work.

jediafr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jediafr »

"I have come to the conclusion that this version of Mint, as it stands now is not usable."

I feel exactly the same as LTS is for many synonym with rock stable, however i am willing to cut some slack to Clem and his team because building a new gu is a very tough job all the more from Gnome3.

Maybe Clem can allow for a more thorough RC period for Cinnamon next release around....

hugo62
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hugo62 »

Just a short note from me:

since Friday my Netbook works without any freezing - at least eight hours a day, mostly about 12 hours. Meanwhile I removed the Mainline-Kernel and reactivated 3.2.0.24-generic.
And as I mentioned before, for me it seems not to be only a Cinnamon item but an Ubuntu 12.04 "feature" at all.

And for the developers here: I really love Cinnamon, better than 10.04 Ubuntu I had before or 12.04 Ubuntu Unity I tried out for a few hours before I decided to move to LM 13 Cinnamon. I guess you are on the right way! :D (just in order to say something positive)

kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

On a somewhat related but very puzzling item, could anyone who still has not built and installed the new versions of Cinnamon and muffin from GIT (hasn't messed with their original Maya/Cinnamon installation except for updates and maybe Java and display managers, etc but left Cinnamon and muffin alone in other words) please open Synaptic and check to see if "muffin" (1.0.3-UP1) is actually installed? I don't mean "muffin-common" or any of the other dependencies, I mean the actual "muffin" package. I just checked mine on a whim and "muffin" is not installed. All it's dependencies are but "muffin" is not.

This is the original Maya/Cinnamon final 64-bit release on my desktop (doesn't freeze). All I changed was removing the open source Java packages and installed an older version of sun-java via ppa (jre, bin and plugin) along with LightDM in place of MDM. My question then is, if Cinnamon requires the muffin package to run, why isn't it installed? And since "muffin" isn't installed on my system but it's dependencies are, why is Cinnamon running on my desktop? :?

I intend to install this "missing" muffin package but not until I get some confirmation as to whether others are seeing this or not. Cinnamon and muffin are untouched on my LM 13/Cinnamon install and this missing muffin makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Update: I checked with Clem and it turns out that "muffin" is not supposed to be installed but rather "libmuffin. Muffin is like libmuffin but has few features and is only used for testing purposes.
Last edited by kmb42vt on Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

ddaniel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ddaniel »

kmb42vt wrote: I intend to install this "missing" muffin package but not until I get some confirmation as to whether others are seeing this or not. Cinnamon and muffin are untouched on my LM 13/Cinnamon install and this missing muffin makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
I can confirm that muffin package is not installed on my system. Although cinnamon is up and running.

hugo62
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hugo62 »

kmb42vt wrote: ... please open Synaptic and check to see if "muffin" (1.0.3-UP1) is actually installed? I don't mean "muffin-common" or any of the other dependencies, I mean the actual "muffin" package. I just checked mine on a whim and "muffin" is not installed. All it's dependencies are but "muffin" is not.
Here it is installed, but I guess in the first days I installed it manually when I was searching for Cinnamon stuff in the ppas.

donmatas
Level 2
Level 2

Post by donmatas »

Same problem. I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 with LM Maya Cinnamom (see details bellow). The system goes frozen when I work with LibreOffice. :(
I tried different solution suggested in this forum but no one works (except for open a session with classic gnome in safe mode)

Hope that the community solve this issue soon.

Code: Select all

$ inxi -Fc 0
System: Host: el-bolido Kernel: 3.2.0-24-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Machine: System: Dell (portable) product: Inspiron 1545
           Mobo: Dell model: 0G848F Bios: Dell version: A14 date: 12/07/2009
CPU: Dual core Pentium CPU T4400 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3)
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1200.00 MHz 2: 1200.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller
           X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@59.6hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.2
Audio: Card: Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.24
Network: Card-1: Broadcom BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY driver: wl
           IF: eth1 state: up mac: 70:f1:a1:66:14:60
           Card-2: Marvell 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller driver: sky2
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: a4:ba:db:b4:74:a2
Drives: HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (84.9% used) 1: /dev/sda TOSHIBA_MK3265GS 320.1GB
Partition: ID: / size: 9.7G used: 4.4G (49%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 274G used: 249G (96%) fs: ext4
           ID: swap-1 size: 1.08GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 50.5C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 166 Uptime: 15 min Memory: 793.1/2986.7MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.33
Last edited by donmatas on Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gnomeorkde
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gnomeorkde »

This seems to be more than a Mint problem. On my Dell Vostro 200 desktop, I have had the computer freezing totally (no response from mouse or keyboard) on Mint 13 (Cinnamon 32-bit & 64-bit, Mate 32-bit), Xubuntu 12.04, Vector 7 and Bridge, the last two of which are not based on Debian. I even changed the hard drive on my PC and it's still getting frozen. I've had to get out my trusty old Mint Xfce 9 disc - this does work fine on the same PC.
But Mint 13 (Cinnamon 32-bit) is working fine on my at least five-year-old Acer Aspire laptop. If someone who has more knowledge than me wants any of the specs, I'll willingly provide them. But for the first time in the seven years I've used Linux (mainly Mint) I'm starting to get a bit worried about how I'm ever going to use my desktop again. Mint Xfce 9 is the way forward for now but I would love to convert permanently to Cinnamon on my main PC.
Those with knowledge of how to solve these things, please step forward! I've seen this problem discussed on the Ubuntu forums as well.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

I've seen some here retest this issue on GNOME Classic, and not being able to reproduce it there. Can anybody perhaps also retest it on Gnome Shell instead? (As GNOME Classic doesn't use 3D acceleration and Gnome Shell does.) For analysis it would help to confirm this issue with Gnome Shell.

You can easily install it with:

sudo apt-get install gnome-session gnome-shell
Searching for the commons errors from the syslogs shared here, you find similar bugs on Ubuntu 12.04, such as https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/968194 and https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/946002. Those seems to point at gnome-session being the culprit, and parts of that are already installed with Cinnamon.

gnome-session[pid]: Gdk-WARNING: gnome-session: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.#012
mdm[pid]: WARNING: mdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0

Rincewind666
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rincewind666 »

Hi,
sorry for my bad English, I'm from Germany.
I Use Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon, my Grafic Card is Nvidia Geforce 9500. If I use JDownloader or TV-Bowser, i have also freezes.
I tried Sun Java 1.6, OpenJava 7, Oracle Java 7, the problem remains....
i can start JDownloader or TV Browser on Gnome3 - an other way is to use the Console in Cinnamon and write "nice n -10 jdownloader" or "nice n -10 tvbrowser".
Both Programs are runnig. Now I take a look in JDownloaders Settings / Plugins/Tray Icon - in TV-Browser look at Extras/Tray Settings.....
Switch Tray Icon off - Both Progams could be started.
The problem lies in the use of the Tray Icon. There must to be worked.

Greetings from Germany, Berlin
Rincewind

hugo62
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hugo62 »

Rincewind666 wrote: ... - in TV-Browser look at Extras/Tray Settings.....
Switch Tray Icon off - Both Progams could be started.
The problem lies in the use of the Tray Icon. There must to be worked.
I cannot confirm that: I'm also using TVBrowser and its tray icon is active too, but no freezing anymore.

Rincewind666
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rincewind666 »

Ok Hugo62, many people write in other forums about this problem with both programs.
I just want to give instructions to someone if the problem is the same.

Rincewind

neologist
Level 1
Level 1

Post by neologist »

I think it's quite obvious that there's not an only cause for the freeze. After a week, I can tell that updating Java made me able to use Jdownloader - which used to cause the freeze even before I could see the logo - and, after that, I haven't had trouble with Firefox, which was also a trigger for the freeze, specially when I was watching to videos.

However, LibreOffice still causes system to freeze. Not by scrolling fast through hundred of pages nor copying web content into tables, but just by typing on a single page. I can be wrong, but it seems that the freeze caused by LibreOffice is not so frequent now, but it's still there, even when I'm using the 1.6.0_32 version of Java.

I just compiled the latest Muffin and Cinnamon, as suggested by clem, and I'll report the results within the next hours. One thing I can tell is that the background of the tip balloon that appears when placing the mouse above icons in the panel is now missing, but it's a minor problem.

Return to “Newbie Questions”