Page 17 of 27

Re: [Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:14 am
by donmatas
AlbertP wrote:I'm sorry. On Linux you can right-click in the downloads folder > Open in Terminal, and then run md5sum filename.iso (replace filename with the name of the file).
Thanks!

I download the iso from the argentinan server. The

Code: Select all

$ md5sum linuxmint-13-mate-dvd-32bit.iso
43ca0be4501b9d1a46fea25ec2cd556e  linuxmint-13-mate-dvd-32bit.iso
The web give me this md5sum

Code: Select all

MATE 32-bit: 43ca0be4501b9d1a46fea25ec2cd556e
So it looks fine

I will try and then report.

Re: [Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:28 pm
by agnar150
I installed Cinnamon on Ubuntu 12.04 and it freezes it too. when I don't install Cinnamon Ubuntu works just fine. I am Using a Intel I5 with intel 4000 graphics. When I use an Nvidia 240 video card it freezes too.

Re: [Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:22 pm
by donmatas
donmatas wrote:
AlbertP wrote:I'm sorry. On Linux you can right-click in the downloads folder > Open in Terminal, and then run md5sum filename.iso (replace filename with the name of the file).
Thanks!

I download the iso from the argentinan server. The

Code: Select all

$ md5sum linuxmint-13-mate-dvd-32bit.iso
43ca0be4501b9d1a46fea25ec2cd556e  linuxmint-13-mate-dvd-32bit.iso
The web give me this md5sum

Code: Select all

MATE 32-bit: 43ca0be4501b9d1a46fea25ec2cd556e
So it looks fine

I will try and then report.
I cheked the integrity of the iso and it gives me 5 errors. Where can I find good iso?

Re: [Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:25 pm
by kmb42vt
donmatas wrote:I cheked the integrity of the iso and it gives me 5 errors. Where can I find good iso?
Try another mirror even if it's not located in your country. I got a good download from the Yellow Fiber Network (USA).

Re: [Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:50 am
by kruijf
I do not have the iso any more to check it.

Re: [Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:23 am
by agnar150
The same freezing happens when I install Cinnamon on Ubuntu 12.04. If I use Ubuntu before installing Cinnamon then it work flawlessly.

Re: [Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:47 am
by esteban1uy
agnar150 wrote:The same freezing happens when I install Cinnamon on Ubuntu 12.04. If I use Ubuntu before installing Cinnamon then it work flawlessly.
Does somebody know if Ubuntu + Gnome-shell has the same problem?

Re: [Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:06 pm
by ugggf
Hi there. I also have this freezing problem on my netbook. Can easily reproduce it when fast scrolling a big document with images in LibreOffice 3.5.3.2. Updating Java to 1.7.0.03 didn't help but after disabling Java in LibreOffice I hadn't had any more crashes. I'll monitor it and report back.

Re: [Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:16 pm
by kmb42vt
(sigh) The freezing problem returned today with the new install of Maya/Cinnamon on my Thinkpad R61 when scrolling through a long document in LibreOffce. Disabling Java in LO doesn't help and replacing LO 3.5.3 with the latest version directly downloaded and installed from the LO website doesn't help either. And I really though i was on to something. Oh well...onward. I have to keep working on this since returning to Linux Mint 12/Cinnamon, which worked like a champ, really isn't an option. So it's back to a problem with Cinnamon itself?

Update: I added Cinnamon-nightly PPA and modified my /etc/apt/"preferences" file according the following instructions:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p593454

I've updated Cinnamon to the latest nightly build and I can now scroll a long document in LO Writer without the system freezing--so far. I'll give it a day or so and see. :D

Re: [Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:55 pm
by kruijf
Is the newest one 1.4.0-up3?

Re: [Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:56 pm
by esteban1uy
kruijf wrote:Is the newest one 1.4.0-up3?
Yes it is: https://launchpad.net/~gwendal-lebihan- ... /+packages

Re: [Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:57 pm
by kruijf
Just to be sure.
Update manager dont let me see it.

Re: [Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:00 pm
by esteban1uy
kruijf wrote:Just to be sure.
Update manager dont let me see it.
Did you correctly set up the apt pinning (via /etc/apt/preferences) and then apt-get update?

Re: [Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:02 pm
by kruijf
I think so

Code: Select all

Package: *
Pin: release o=linuxmint
Pin-Priority: 700

Package: *
Pin: origin packages.linuxmint.com
Pin-Priority: 700

Package: *
Pin: release o=Ubuntu
Pin-Priority: 500

Package: *
Pin: origin ppa.launchpad.net
Pin-Priority: 700

Re: [Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:04 pm
by esteban1uy
kruijf wrote:I think so

Code: Select all

Package: *
Pin: release o=linuxmint
Pin-Priority: 700

Package: *
Pin: origin packages.linuxmint.com
Pin-Priority: 700

Package: *
Pin: release o=Ubuntu
Pin-Priority: 500

Package: *
Pin: origin ppa.launchpad.net
Pin-Priority: 700
Then just open Synaptic, select "Origin"->"LP-PPA-gwendal-lebihan-dev" and update manually.

Re: [Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:05 pm
by kruijf
I dont know what went wrong, but muffin and cinnamon are there now.

Re: [Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:07 pm
by esteban1uy
kruijf wrote:I dont know what went wrong, but muffin and cinnamon are there now.
Maybe you forgot to run an apt-get update after adding the ppa.

Re: [Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:08 pm
by kruijf
I'm almost sure that i did run it.
After update is it good to leave the ppa in the repo? or is it better to remove?

Re: [Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:38 pm
by A Future Pilot
I would just leave it. Otherwise everytime cinnamon gets an update you'll have to re-add it.

Re: [Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:12 pm
by kmb42vt
esteban1uy wrote:
kruijf wrote:Is the newest one 1.4.0-up3?
Yes it is: https://launchpad.net/~gwendal-lebihan- ... /+packages
Just remember that the Cinnamon package from the cinnamon-nightly PPA will probably all show as 1.4.0 UP3 for awhile yet. The thing you need to look at is the build number that comes after it. Cinnamon 1.4 UP3 came with Linux Mint 13 but the cinnamon-nightly version from the PPA is not the same one. It's the latest build from Git I believe. Just so there's no confusion. If you knew this already, please disregard my last. :D